A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
433 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Butterfly Sewing Machine Cozy  (Read 2958 times)
Tags for this thread: template  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dawt
I heart my duplicate daughters

I know, huh?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: October 19, 2008 08:31:59 PM »

I honestly didn't think my sewing machine cover was Craftster-worthy, but my crafty friend, Jinjeet Phoenix, told me that this is the sort of thing that helps encourage other crafters, especially novices like me, to share their own creations, so here goes...

My daughters bought me this Singer sewing machine for my birthday last month (I know, huh?!). It's perfectly simple, just what I imagined getting for myself, but it still has quite a few 'fancy' stitches to choose from.

I cut up the box it came in and used the pieces as a template. I have trouble grasping abstract concepts, so even though it may look like a simple box, believe me, it wasn't simple for me.

I managed to insert some rick-rack along the top and in each of the top seems. Since I'm out of practice I didn't quite capture all of it as I was sewing so some of the rick-rack doesn't come through. It was the first time I ever attempted to do anything like that, so I'm okay with it. Lesson learned.

I lined it with white felt to give it some structure but it still droops a bit because I made it a bit too big for its britches.

Here's a close-up of the fabric. The butterflies are outlined with gold but I couldn't quite capture the sheen. The colors are sort of Moroccan, so scrumptious!

I made it in one sitting, probably would have done a better job if I had taken more time, but I was too excited about making it to stop before it was completed. Next on the agenda are new curtains (the 1970s gold just doesn't cut it) to go with some valances I already have.

Thanks for looking!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Solitaire

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008 09:06:03 PM »

Very nice cozy. I really love the colors and the butterflies .. so happy and bright.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Craft, Therefore, I AM!  )O(
titancia
Are you a good twin or a bad twin?

It's Thistle with a Bobo on her head!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008 09:58:18 PM »

You did a great job! I love how the colors brighten the room up. I can't wait to see how your curtains turn out. <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

endlessly_intricate
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008 10:59:30 PM »

Cozy looks great!  I should make one... I have the same machine (bought it about a year ago, and learned to machine sew on it).  Mine came with a cover but it's really boring-- yours is awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dawt

I know, huh?

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008 01:26:00 AM »

Thanks so much!

endlessly_intricate, it's cool that we have the same machine,  you really SHOULD make that cover...and then post it...so I can see it. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mhills

That's A Stitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008 06:00:06 AM »

Great idea. I love butterflies...  I really need one for my machine.  I am using the horrible one that my Brother came with... just white.. BORING
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008 11:24:15 PM »

Wow Dawt!!!!  I'm so glad you posted your fantastic sewing machine cover.  I think it is truly great and inspirational.  You've done a wonderful job and I think it quite incredible that you've made it in only one sitting.  That fabric is just incredible.  Thanks for showing the inside of your cover and comments.  This has really inspired me to get this project done.  Now that the holidays are almost over for a while, I hope to be able to make one also.  You have inspired me and I am sure you have inspired others too.  You've given me some very helpful tips here.  Thank you again for sharing!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blossom1044
I want to make things - I want to get better! I must have patience with myself!

I'm a mum 1st, craftster 2nd & I hate working FT!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008 03:45:04 AM »

Nice.  I need to make one too.  I keep mine in their original box, but it takes up too much room.

I like the idea that the bag is a bit bigger because then you an store your current project inside with machine, so if you have to put away when machine between each sewing session (aka me) then you'll at least havign everything together for your next go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love
T
dawt

I know, huh?

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008 01:36:36 PM »

Jinjeet Phoenix, you make me feel like dancin'! Thanks for always boosting my self-confidence! Be sure to post yours when it's finished.

blossom1044, I never thought of it that way...thank you for making me feel better about it being too big! From here on out as I'm stuffing everything inside to cover it I'll think of this post. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftygal76
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008 07:24:01 PM »

i love ur cover!(i'm a butterfly, Fairy & dragonfly freak Grin)..i too have the same machine (after having to relearn how to sew w/a machine & fighting with mine) i really do love mine..my wonderful hubby has a singer serger(i cant remember which one tho..lol) on lay away & im getting it for my bday next month!..u just inspired me to make a cover for both of them! Thank u for sharing this!..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wife to Cary & mom to 5 awesome kids!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Painter and Art Gallery Owner Adnan Aybek
Canvas Painting Lesson with Adnan Aybek
Supervillain Origins: Sinestro
Superhero Origins: The Green Hornet
Supervillain Origins: Hector Hammond
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...