A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,342
Currently Running With Scissors:
519 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: opinions please!!! img heavy!!!  (Read 807 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ALI-MAE
one smart blonde

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2008 05:58:15 PM »

i attended my first craft show this weekend and i must admit it didnt go so well! i was very discouraged after and i worked my butt off but here is what went down! my friend and i rented a booth together and she makes jewelry and i make purses, quilts and such! the whole so called "craft show" was really just jewelry and more jewelry and apparently thats what everyone wanted! i want to show you some of the purses that i had and tell me what you think i need some encouragement and reassurment to see if it was just me or not! also i never know what to price my stuff and i was wondering what you all usually would sell these type purses for? thanks for listening to me rant! i am not sure if im going to go to another one or not but it may have just been the type venue it was? i dont know anyways here are the pics!

i heard alot of people saying that all of them were cute so that made me feel good but i just dont know if i priced them to high! like i said i never know what to price my stuff! so let me know how much you think youd sell them for! thanks for all your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A woman should have...a set of screwdrivers, a cordless drill, and a black lace bra- Maya Angelo
kcfirecracker
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008 06:06:37 PM »

Mmm. Well they DO look cute from here. And I can't see any strings, is it well made? My piece of advice would be, perhaps put some accents on them? Appliqué or.... I dunno, play around and see what werks for you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Are you taking orders, or are you taking over?" -The Clash
vwluvervw
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008 06:10:47 PM »

I know how you feel. I did a craft show with my future MIL and I thought the stuff she had was crap... and I had taken all of this time to make these really great things. Well she sold stuff like crazy and I MAYBE sold 30 bucks worth. I was SO disappointed and I haven't done another craft show yet... although I would like to. I think it all depends on what type of stuff is there and advertising. For example... the show I did and NO advertising.
ANYHOW... I think your purses are great... I haven't a clue as far as prices, I'm having the same problem with some bags I've been making. However I do have a question... where did you find the closures for your bags??? I've been looking for them and can't find them
Again GREAT job... and keep doing the shows... just watch for advertising and what they have there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrAfTer21
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008 06:19:04 PM »

The yellow one is my favorite! The fabric fits in well with the clutch era. What kind of displays did your designs on? & How much were you selling them for? As far as the larger purses go why don't you do what the previous poster said and add Appliqué, patches, or something on them? Maybe even some ribbon with a broach on it in the middle.  For the purse with the wooden handles maybe a darker wooden handle would make it pop more? I'm not sure....It might be worth a try Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A dream is a wists your heart makes
http://www.wists.com/crafter21
ALI-MAE
one smart blonde

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008 06:29:48 PM »

I know how you feel. I did a craft show with my future MIL and I thought the stuff she had was crap... and I had taken all of this time to make these really great things. Well she sold stuff like crazy and I MAYBE sold 30 bucks worth. I was SO disappointed and I haven't done another craft show yet... although I would like to. I think it all depends on what type of stuff is there and advertising. For example... the show I did and NO advertising.
ANYHOW... I think your purses are great... I haven't a clue as far as prices, I'm having the same problem with some bags I've been making. However I do have a question... where did you find the closures for your bags??? I've been looking for them and can't find them
Again GREAT job... and keep doing the shows... just watch for advertising and what they have there.
thanks for your advice and i got my closures from a website meowcraft.com she has some really good deals and also try ahkwokbuckles.com they have alot of stuff to choose from.

The yellow one is my favorite! The fabric fits in well with the clutch era. What kind of displays did your designs on? & How much were you selling them for? As far as the larger purses go why don't you do what the previous poster said and add Appliqué, patches, or something on them? Maybe even some ribbon with a broach on it in the middle.  For the purse with the wooden handles maybe a darker wooden handle would make it pop more? I'm not sure....It might be worth a try Good Luck!

i think i will add some kind of embellishment! i posted earlier on craftster the displays i had, they looked like flowers and i hung all the stuff on the leaves! the bigger bags i priced at 18 and the ones with the clasps were 13. does that sound like a fair price! i cursed so much while using the purse frames. lol thanks for everyones advice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A woman should have...a set of screwdrivers, a cordless drill, and a black lace bra- Maya Angelo
mtthao9
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008 02:17:48 AM »

I helped out at my sis first craft fair and we didn't get much business either.  I think your first time at a craft is not always successful.  You may need to do some research about the fairs you are going to.  Here some questions to think about: is it well known, how is it promoted, what is it for; this helps because it give answer to who is your market (the people who would to buy your products), and will help with your pricing.  Also think about the season, people who go to craft fairs are looking for seasonal items too.  Our first time was at a local craft fair that was fund riser for a local high school band.  My sis did not do her homework, she was so excited that she was going to a craft fair to sell some her items.  The fee was not bad but a lot of the people who came were people who were friends of the kids and it was not promoted well.  It was in early November so the crowd was looking for decorations for Christmas and Thanksgiving, which a lot of our products were not seasonal. 

Now my sis goes to anime cons, and she makes jewelry that would sell there.  Her prices are low from $5 to $50, lots of the teens buy the $5-$15  items while the chaperons (usually the mothers,grandma, aunties, and older siblings who come with the teens) buys the $30-40 items. 

Your purses are cute, I like the pink one.  Did you should make more, people have different taste so you should make lots with different prints.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What is your passion?  Mine, what I create with these hands...
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Behind the Book: The Tangled Series
Who Built the First Computer?
Girls Who Can Code Get Jobs
Behind the Book: The Anatomy of Dreams
Diane Von Furstenberg on Learning
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...