A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Breaking News: What's with all of the SPAM on Craftster?  Click here to find out what happened!
Total Members: 307,155
Currently Running With Scissors:
508 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: plain black shirt now with red lacing  (Read 2068 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

astamour
« on: October 19, 2008 01:35:03 PM »

I added d-rings and red ribbon to this shirt, but I am not sure it looks right.  I am planning on going over my hand stiches with the machine for strength.  I figured after I'm sick of it I can take the rings out and the shirt can return to its former self.  Now that I'm done, I'm not sure I should have done it in the first place.  
Warn me if I shouldn't wear it  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm pro-accordion, and I vote!
RhymeswOrange
please excuse her for the day, its just the way the medication makes her...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008 01:42:07 PM »

This looks great! I vote wear it.  If you feel like it stands out too much from the black shirt try swapping the red ribbon for black.  You get the same concept but a bit subtler. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I think my cat is sending me subliminal messages...
whimsy10510
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008 01:52:19 PM »

No, that's BEAUTIFUL. mind telling me how you did it? i usually don't even go in for that and i think it's wonderful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kayori

The Masochistic Knitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008 02:09:25 PM »

I agree, this looks very good. I'm probably going to be hitting the local Goodwill and picking up some shirts for this exact thing.

But if you're wanting constrictive criticism, it looks like there's a little bit of bunching on the sides where the D-rings were put in. It also looks like the D-rings are twisting. I'm not quite sure what you could do to fix the bunching, but for the D-rings my suggestion is to put some interface behind the ribbon and then attach it to the shirt. That might help keep the ribbon from gathering in one of the corners of the D-rings and help it stay on the flat side.

I hope that helps at least for the next one you make. ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You listen to metal and knit?"
"Yea, so?"
"I don't know, just seems a little out of the ordinary"
"Who said I was ordinary?"
dropdeadred77
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008 02:16:33 PM »

It's really pretty!
The only issue I see is the ribbon loops you've attached the d-rings to aren't sturdy really, which is why the d-rings are turning. Next time you try it, maybe use webbing, or something heavy like duck canvas for the loops. It's a great look!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
astamour
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008 06:12:41 PM »

Thanks for the positive comments and advice.  Interfacing or webbing is a good idea.  For this one, I think I'll just try to stich a little closer to the d-rings so the ribbon doesn't have as much room to slide around.  (I don't want to take it all apart and start over just yet)
For whimsy10510 : This shirt already had a center section on the back.  I just opened up the seam and inserted the d-rings wrapped in ribbon.  Then I pinned it together and stitched it back up.  My ribbon wasn't quite as wide as the straight part of the "D".  Next time I would use studier materials as suggested by the other posters.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whimsy10510
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008 04:45:53 PM »

i guess what i meant to ask was, did it fit before, or was it a little too big? because it looks like the lacing is doing what it's supposed to- i.e., making a shirt that wasn't fitted. did that make sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
astamour
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008 05:14:32 PM »

whimsy - The shirt was a little big and it still kind of is across the shoulders.  When I stand straight it puckers out a bit at the top of the laces.  I had to take the top row out after the picture because of shoddy workmanship.  I think if they d-rings went farther up, the ribbon would cover the too-big part. 
BUT - the ribbon I used to hold the rings on between a seam was not very sturdy.  I wouldn't trust this set-up to cinch up a shirt and hold it on tight.  It is mainly for decoration.
I might try this on a bigger shirt, using heavier webbing rather than ribbon.  I think then it would actually function the way it looks like it should.  I guess I would have to find a way to make the front smaller too, so it wouldn't just pull the side seams to the back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Make Jumbo Soft Pretzels
Paul McIlhenny, Tabasco CEO Dies at 68
2013 Relish Cooking Show Promo
Fresh Green Bean Recipes
Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
I propose a toast!
Tute Tuesday: Plastic Mesh Rug
Love Your Mother

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...