A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,147
Currently Running With Scissors:
589 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric stores and crafty things in Tokyo  (Read 2910 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cindyjane
« on: October 19, 2008 12:55:14 AM »

Hi
I'm very very excited, I live in Australia and i'm going to Tokyo in March 2009 for 5 days with my girlfriend and 2 teenage sons.  I looove Japanese retro fabrics, and craft books.  You have the most amazing books I've ever seen!. Can anyone recommend craft/book shops and things I need to see on my trip (apart from Ghibli Museum and Puroland - already on my list)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tofty

www.thefastener.wordpress.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009 05:31:19 PM »

Hi CindyJane,

I live on the East side of Tokyo... theres a few you shouldnt miss...

Nippori is an awesome place... when you exit the station (sorry cant remember the exit exactly theres a couple i think) turn right (theres a kind of traffic circle/roud-a-bout with a police box in front i seem to remember).  You should see a sign saying Nippori fashion street or textile street... its a long street full of mostly leather and fabric shops.

Also YOU HAVE TO go to Yuzawaya in Kamata.  The station is not on the subway maps, but its not hard to get there.  You can get there from Shinagawa, and the staff are very helpful if you ask them which line to get.  Yuzawaya has lots of branches - i know theres one in Tsudanama and one in Kichijoji definitely and a few more, but the one in Kamata is 5 buildings worth!!  It took me 7 hours to browse through it yesterday.  Ive been to craft shops in the states and canada (which far outweigh our measly ones in the UK for size) but this was immense.

The Ghible museum is also wicked, youll love that - but its a little tricky to get the tickets, try to arrange them before you come or you need to know japanese if you do it yourself.. i found it tricky anyway  Roll Eyes

I heard that Puroland is a waste of time im afraid, apparently just one bug shop... if you are after kitty or sanrio stuff they sell it EVERYWHERE here so you can get your fill without going there, but of course i havent been, just word of mouth.

You will love it here, im said to be leaving, and trying to leave some room for clothes in my bag!! Grin Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cindyjane
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009 05:40:21 PM »

Thank-you so much!  I'll add these to my ever-growing list.  We're only going for a week, but what a week!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tofty

www.thefastener.wordpress.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009 05:42:23 PM »

Heres a pic i took yesterday of Yuzawaya  Wink

and heres what i bought:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
imakee
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009 07:59:59 PM »

There is also a Yuzawaya in Yamato (which I love cuz it's right outside the station and you can't miss it). It is also 5 floors of awesome and I spend hours in there. Plus there is a great yakitori stand on your left when you exit the station that is delish and not expensive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RoaneFaery
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009 11:10:04 AM »

I was in Tokyo in July (for work) and managed to find my way to the Yuzawaya in Kamata.  The only trick was that there were multiple stores and I had mapped to the office supply like one and not the fabric one.  But it was just around the corner and I made it there.  So much to look at.   And I am now a proud owner of a discount card.  It cost 500yen but saved me a lot more than that on the fabric I bought.  Filling in the form for the card was a bit of a challenge since I don't speak or read Japanese and the address boxes didn't really take a foreign address. But they gave it to me anyway.  Wish I could have spent more time there.

I was sad I didn't get to go to the Ghibli museum but I was only there for about a week and had to work a normal work week while I was there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
http://www.wists.com/RoaneFaery
Pintrest:
http://pinterest.com/roanefaery/
My Swaps:
Last completed swap: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
floatingmoon
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009 04:57:28 AM »

I saw the Bandai company on a travel tv show.
The building is a 'company and museum'.

The employee wear costume of Gundam. And also, the folk lift is robotic, it can move by itself.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We see the throns of the others, but we cannot see the log of timber in our eyes.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Rum-Spiked Grilled Pineapple
4 Super-Simple Banana Snacks You Need to Try
How to Make Meyer Lemon Sponge Kisses
How to Make Milk and Cookie Shots
How to Make Crispy Maple Oatmeal Cookies
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete
Mmm, Bacon!
Meatless Monday: Marinated Pasta Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...