A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,224
Currently Running With Scissors:
383 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gothic cuffs--lots of pics  (Read 3548 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mtthao9
« on: October 18, 2008 01:11:43 PM »

Hi!  No quite sure where to put this...I been making lots of stuff because my niece is having a fashion show for her Anime club; a request for Gothic cuff came in.  Here are some that I finished.  She wants me to sell these at the local anime con, too; but I am not to sure how they will sell.  Need feedback on the designs and what about pricing?  I am fairly slow on the beading; it takes me and hour or two for the beading for each pair.   Thanks for the help.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

What is your passion?  Mine, what I create with these hands...
adiemonster

hiphopmapotamus v.s rymnoserous

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008 01:18:20 PM »

love! they are very 80s!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS SWAP 2!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=280446.0
(this is info forum)
AromaRageST
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008 01:27:49 PM »

Oh wow! They are absolutly beautiful Smiley I like the 1 and 3rd best with the tighter lace parts but the other 2 are wonderful aswell.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HandsyMalone

Also answers to Leroy...long story

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008 01:53:09 PM »

So cute!  I can see why it has been reccomended that you make some to sell.  I'll tell you what one of my instructors said about pricing:
Take the cost of the raw materials and add a per hour rate, then mark it up a bit for your profit.  LOL!!  The only issue is that you have to also look at what your market can afford and he was a furniture designer so his clientele was WAY up there.  If I had to guess your cost, I'd say that your ribbon runs you about $15 for a spool, I see 5 kinds of beads, so that's $20 and the lace would be about $20.  $55 in total materials (not including the closures), easily you can charge $10-$20 per pair, but that's based on my estimate of getting at LEAST 10 out of your materials.  Don't under price them, but don't over price them either.  Another option would be to put a high price on them, say $20-$30 and offer them at $10 off.  Cheesy  That's called a 'false sale' and is how they sell furniture, mattresses and carpet, not to mention clothes. 
Wow, that's rambly, I hope it helped though!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008 02:14:54 PM »

I agree with a lot of what HandsyMalone said about finding a price, knowing your market, etc.  If you can find ribbon that is pre-embellished at a price that will compensate for your time beading, then you might explore that as an option, because at $20, you're making something like minimum wage, maybe even less (after material costs, the cost for your booth, gas to get there, parking, etc.).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Willowe
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008 02:28:20 PM »

Oh wow, those look awesome! The beading looks great, especially the green!

I agree with what TheMistressT and HandsyMalone have already said about pricing. You just need to balance the cost of materials and know the market (and make sure you don't overprice them).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
     -None Smiley

My Etsy
My Pinterest
Radmom
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008 02:29:12 PM »

Well, I just asked my daughter who is very anime girl and into the goth scene as well.
She said, if you didn't know how to sew mom, I would so buy those.

Many teens will buy things because a lot of parents do not sew anymore. Please do not take into consideration that I know how to sew, as a way to not sell them. I would go for it.

I will say this from watching the girls sell their wares, which is usually art. The smaller cheaper the item...the better chance at selling a lot.

I know one lady that sells beaded necklaces, the chunky kind with image pendants attached and she charges 30 bucks a pop. I almost $hit a brick when Amy bought one.

Why because her grandfather could have made the same thing for 5 bucks worth of beads, and her purchasing the pendant.

So, anyway long ramble later...LOL. It is easy to make money selling at the cons. Anything that is Goth or Lolita sells really well.

Amy (my daughter) wants to know if you are in the MTAC area? We love to hear about anyone near our area.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mtthao9
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008 02:31:20 PM »

So cute!  I can see why it has been recommended that you make some to sell.  I'll tell you what one of my instructors said about pricing:
Take the cost of the raw materials and add a per hour rate, then mark it up a bit for your profit.  LOL!!  The only issue is that you have to also look at what your market can afford and he was a furniture designer so his clientele was WAY up there.  If I had to guess your cost, I'd say that your ribbon runs you about $15 for a spool, I see 5 kinds of beads, so that's $20 and the lace would be about $20.  $55 in total materials (not including the closures), easily you can charge $10-$20 per pair, but that's based on my estimate of getting at LEAST 10 out of your materials.  Don't under price them, but don't over price them either.  Another option would be to put a high price on them, say $20-$30 and offer them at $10 off.  Cheesy  That's called a 'false sale' and is how they sell furniture, mattresses and carpet, not to mention clothes. 
Wow, that's rambly, I hope it helped though!!

HandsyMalone, thanks about the pricing.  My sis thinks I should price about $18 a pair, I did sell a pair to my niece friend for $15.  I am off to think more about the pricing and to make a white pair for my other niece (to match a prom dress).  The funny thing is I like to do the beading because it makes them more unique, the beading adds my signature to them.  I may just have to think about the designs of the beading to make them easier to sew on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mtthao9
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008 02:41:12 PM »

Well, I just asked my daughter who is very anime girl and into the goth scene as well.
She said, if you didn't know how to sew mom, I would so buy those.

Many teens will buy things because a lot of parents do not sew anymore. Please do not take into consideration that I know how to sew, as a way to not sell them. I would go for it.

I will say this from watching the girls sell their wares, which is usually art. The smaller cheaper the item...the better chance at selling a lot.

I know one lady that sells beaded necklaces, the chunky kind with image pendants attached and she charges 30 bucks a pop. I almost $hit a brick when Amy bought one.

Why because her grandfather could have made the same thing for 5 bucks worth of beads, and her purchasing the pendant.

So, anyway long ramble later...LOL. It is easy to make money selling at the cons. Anything that is Goth or Lolita sells really well.

Amy (my daughter) wants to know if you are in the MTAC area? We love to hear about anyone near our area.

Hmm...I don't think I in the MTAC area, I am in sunny state of California.  You close to the state capital, Sacramento? My sis and I really also like to go to anime cons to look at costumes and artists.  We usually never buy any the craft items; we like to purchase the artist drawings, instead.  She been after me to create things for her to sell; my niece too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ninjanator
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008 03:06:48 PM »

I would wear those cuffs in a minute, and I'm not even into gothic lolita! Great job - love the 3rd pair especially (with the purple beads) you should definitely try to sell them Smiley good luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stephen Hunter Talks About Dead Zero
Joseph Maroon Explains the Correct Dosage for Resveratrol
Meet Author Matthew Reilly
Liza Marklund Talks About Writing Crime Novels
Meet Dr. Joseph Maroon
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...