A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,371
Currently Running With Scissors:
651 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bookshelf renovation  (Read 5027 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Rebecca404
« on: October 18, 2008 10:08:06 AM »

I have a set of bedroom furniture that I hate- I don't like the wood's color, the sides are cheap and cracked, and it wasn't made real well.  But, it has put up with a lot, since it was my dad's furniture when he was a kid and it was my furniture since I was a kid.  Now that I'm finally redoing my bedroom, I plan to replace it.

I decided to keep the bookshelf, since I've always had a lot of books and I thought it would be nice to have a sentimental piece amongst the rest of my furniture.

Here's how it turned out: 

On the original piece, the trim and molding was so horrible, books became lost back there.  So the first thing I did was rip off all the trim around the top and sides.  It was very cathartic, which is part of why there's no before pictures.  Wink  That stuff was nailed, stapled, screwed, and glued in.  I probably should have just given up, but it was rather fun.  The top was just a cheap board that slid into a groove near the top.  It looked weird, so I ripped the nails holding it in out and removed it.  But then the top wasn't level with the board I bought to replace it (it was slightly lower in the back).  So, I flipped the shelf upside-down, and you can't tell any more.  Plus, it makes it sit more evenly on the carpet, previously it always tipped forward, now it leans back just a tad into the wall, which is enough to even it out. 

After sanding it, I tried to stain it, but it was blotchy due to me not sanding the finish off evenly.  The black stain also looked blue-black, so I gave up and primed it and painted it with a dark brown color.  I then painted some vines (from a Snow and Graham design that I like) on the back splash.  I plan to make a headboard for my bed with the same vine design.

This is the original shelf: 
(I forgot to take a before picture, so this is one from when I was moving, excuse the boxes and my cat)

« Last Edit: October 18, 2008 10:09:24 AM by Rebecca404 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please check out my Etsy shop with wrapped wire jewelry:

http://GetWiredDesigns.etsy.com
xahhitsliz
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008 10:18:29 AM »

XD
it looks so professional
hah whenever i  paint something it looks really wonky
but this is just beautiful!
i might just have to steal it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love.
- Albert Einstein
fusbdgt
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008 10:28:34 AM »

this looks spectacular i would love to have some bedroom furniture, our room looks more like an office at the time being, but hey it's all good, you did a wonderful job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

athenaknits?
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008 12:43:08 PM »

I love the asymmetrical silhouettes in the background, it is such a great detail.  I must also say, your kitty looks a lot like mine
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rebecca404
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008 07:47:43 AM »

XD
it looks so professional
hah whenever i  paint something it looks really wonky
but this is just beautiful!
i might just have to steal it
Haha, thanks.  I'm a little disappointed that I had to paint it, I really wanted the stain to work out.  It also took a bunch of coats, what with the primer and then lots of touch ups, because I'm not real careful when I paint.  Tongue

this looks spectacular i would love to have some bedroom furniture, our room looks more like an office at the time being, but hey it's all good, you did a wonderful job.
My room mostly looks like a craft space!  While trying to think of the furniture I'll want to buy to redecorate, I realize I need to store: books, TONS of craft supplies, and teacher materials.  Clothes are in the closet, so I don't have any "normal" bedroom storage needs.  Tongue

I love the asymmetrical silhouettes in the background, it is such a great detail.  I must also say, your kitty looks a lot like mine
Thanks!  And yay fluffy kitties.  Cheesy 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008 07:48:51 AM by Rebecca404 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rebecca404
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008 07:37:59 AM »

Does anyone know why the paint would be slightly tacky?  Obviously it's been dry for quite awhile, but things stick slightly to my new shelf.  Once a box of tissues even took some paint off when I moved it!  I just want to avoid this for future furniture.

I sanded, primed, and then painted.   The paint is semi-gloss.  Is that why it's sticky?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Serenthia
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008 05:45:03 AM »

Thats a really nice modern transformation Smiley I love darkbrown or black with white and a splash of red! Is this colour theme going to continue through the rest of the room? Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rebecca404
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008 08:44:46 AM »

Yup!  While talking to the paint guy at Home Depot, I mentioned that I was painting a bookshelf.  He then said "so you want a quart of paint?"  When I told him I wanted a gallon he looked at me a little strangely.   Cheesy  But I'm going to paint a headboard sometime soon and I'm looking to repurpose some old, ugly furniture into something nice for my room.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CrAfTer21
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008 06:37:31 PM »

Oh I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A dream is a wists your heart makes
http://www.wists.com/crafter21
rileyartie
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008 09:07:23 PM »

beautiful job! i love the colors and the design. such an improvement from before.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
B.C. Donut Shop Creates $100 Mega-Donut
How to Make a Passion Fruit Crème Brulee
Mouthwatering Stout Mocha Coffee Cake
Oreo Chocolate Cake with Bittersweet Chocolate Glaze
Triple Chocolate Cheesecake Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tomato/Tomahto
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce
Mountain Views

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...