A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,094
Currently Running With Scissors:
678 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crayon/Colored Pencil Roll Tutorial  (Read 6745 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vault85192
« on: October 17, 2008 10:43:58 PM »

After spending a fair amount of time searching for a tutorial for this project I eventually realized I was out of luck.  Using photos of various crayon roll designs (primarily found on Etsy) I worked up a pattern for this one and thought I'd share.  It is large enough for the top to fold down over your standard sized crayons and yet left flat it is big enough for use with shorter sized colored pencils.  With 16 slots theres plenty of room for variety but its also very flexible in that if you want to expand for more you simply have to add on one inch for each slot to the width.   Hopefully those of you out there interested in making one of these for that special little someone will find this tutorial helpful!   

You will need

*Fabric:  I personally suggest using a 100% cotton novelty print for the outside and a coordinating flannel solid for the inside.  Have around yard of each.
*Ribbon:  For my particular piece I went with what I had on hand grosgrain.  Obviously whatever floats your boat is fine.
*Thread
*Stitch Witchery or No Sew Hem Tape: size, completely for convenience!
*Basic Sewing Supplies: sewing machine, clear ruler, washable marking pen, scissors, etc.

What to do
1.   CUT:
a.   (2) 6.5 x 16.5 pieces; (1) from your print, (1) from your solid <back pieces>
b.   (2) 3 x 16.5 pieces; (1) from your print, (1) from your solid <pocket pieces>
c.   (2) 13 ribbons <ties>
**Use seam allowances throughout.**

2.   SEW:
a.   Place your two pocket pieces right sides together.  Sew a straight seam along the top joining the two pieces together.  Press seam and turn.
Place the pocket piece before you with the print fabric on top.  Measure from each side just as a reminder.  From that measurement mark measure equal increments of 1 (you should end with 16 total spaces). 
b.   Take the inside back piece (ie: your solid piece measuring 6.5 x 16.5) and lay it right side up in front of you.  Place your pocket piece with the slot marks even across the bottom of the inside back piece.  Secure (I chose to run a quick straight stitch up each side however pinning would work as well.  Once secure begin sewing slots (the most tedious part!) starting from the top of the pocket and sewing toward the bottom.  Remember to backstitch your seams, especially at the top!  Trim, trim, trim all the loose strings once youre done.
c.   Lay the ribbon pieces evenly together running along the top of the pocket, aligned at the right side.  Pin in place.  Take the outer back fabric (ie: your print measuring 6.5 x 16.5) and lay it right side down (take care to make sure your print will be going the right direction when turned right side out).  Sew the two sides and bottom, leaving the top open (like a pillowcase).  Clip corners, press seams, fold out, press some more. 
d.   Taking a strip of no sew hem tape run it along the inside top edge of the piece.  Use according to directionsin most cases youll run your iron over the tape, remove the paper strip, fold over, press and your done.  Do this to both sides not worrying about putting it on the corner seams (just make sure those are very well pressed once youre done putting down the tape).  With the tape secure run a straight stitch about 1/8 from the top edge to finish.
e.   Looking at the ends of the ribbons apply the no sew hem tape to each end, press and repeat in order to secure and avoid fraying.  You can then run a few stitches (by hand or machine) over your folds to further secure if you like. 

So there it is...if you like it please use it and if you use it please share  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mint_bijoux
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008 11:20:42 PM »

This is adorable- I love the fabric you used. I may make one of these for a little girl I'm researching for a psychology project, and maybe a bigger one for myself, for colored pens!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aladine
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008 06:27:39 AM »

thanks for the tut! ive been wanting to do this for a couple of weeks now but wasnt sure of how to start!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

etsy: stuff i make 

I have 2 vintage dirndl skirts (floral) for oktoberfest  (US sizes 6-ish and 8-10) I would love to swap! anybody interested?
crystalpeace
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009 07:34:16 PM »

i am going to have to bookmark this for when my niece gets old enough to start using crayons( she is barely a year now). but i may have to make myself one or 2 of these for myself for my pencils and markers that i use to draw with
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Ways to Fight Off Frizz
Salon Giving Back Through Beauty
2 Hot Hair Trends From Hollywood’s Top Celebrity Hair Stylist
How to Get an Easy Waterfall Braid
Summer Hair Cut Trend: The Long Bob
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...