A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,238
Currently Running With Scissors:
697 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stella the draft stopping snake!  (Read 9645 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bighalofro
« on: October 17, 2008 03:25:08 PM »

I saw this craft project on http://jas.familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts?page=CraftDisplay&craftid=11565 and just had to make it for my mom and sister for Christmas!  So cute Smiley  It's a draft stopper, which, in case you've never heard of one, is placed across the bottom of a door to stop air transfer/heat loss from a room.  So it's basically a form of insulation to block the gap between the door and floor.  The tute called for a pair of opaque women's thighs but I couldn't find one in any patterns/colors I liked, plus they all seemed so thin in comparison to kids thighs so..I used kids  Cheesy Grin

I dubbed her Stella!  It seemed to fit and I'm a dork so...yeah.

She came out kinda fat so for the other leg I think I'll sew her thinner before filling her with rice Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lisa C
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008 03:47:03 PM »

very cute I have seen these in chenelle too as a toy I think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KiwiDragons
Get it together!

Stacked Sheep. :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008 06:27:13 PM »

I really need one of those. Right now I'm just using a rolled up towel. A cute snake would be much better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists

Little Visitor Adventures
Charlie in MO
Zazie in Canada
rileyartie
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008 10:59:45 PM »

That's the cutest snake I have ever seen. That's an awesome idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
causeeffect
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008 07:44:23 PM »

Ooh! its so cute! and useful too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bighalofro
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008 10:44:54 AM »

Thanks everyone Grin  I think the second one will come out much better since I learned a bit making this one.  But it was still super simple and I think a cute gift idea.

I really need one of those. Right now I'm just using a rolled up towel. A cute snake would be much better.

I bet you could even convert a towel into something similar (the website above also demonstrates how to make a dog as well), which would save you from having to buy the rice and tights.  I paid $8 for the rice (I needed twelve pounds!) and $5 for the tights, which isn't bad for two but I know how tight people are with money right now so...just a suggestion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lucybug33
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008 02:54:47 PM »

wow that is very cute!
I made one (not as cool looking) but I used clay cat litter  to fill it, which was only $3 for 15lbs. I suggest a liner if you use the cat litter cos it can be a little dusty. but works just as well as rice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bighalofro
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008 06:26:05 PM »

wow that is very cute!
I made one (not as cool looking) but I used clay cat litter  to fill it, which was only $3 for 15lbs. I suggest a liner if you use the cat litter cos it can be a little dusty. but works just as well as rice.

HA!  I had racked my brain for an alternative to the rice that would be cheaper and briefly thought of kitty litter!!!  But I had decided it mighty break down and flake out so I decided against it.  Not once did I think of putting in a liner Embarrassed  Great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sovietweed

~*~Miss Alyssa~*~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008 07:30:18 PM »

she's really cute, I didn't think something like a draft stopper could be crafted up into adorableness  Smiley

This is a posting from the CrochetMe website on what to use as stuffing for crochet projects or stuffed animals, recommending avoiding using rice to stuff things with... http://www.crochetme.com/amigurumi-deconstructed
"Never, ever, use rice or beans in crochet projects... or as stuffing. Ever. In anything. That's why God made plastic.

Bugs do not invade plastic.

Starchy dried beans, on the other hand, will attract weevils, especially if they get any moisture (even humidity), and potentially other starch eaters as well. Moths and their maggot-like larva, silverfish, and everyone's favorite, cockroaches, too.

They make special beads for this job, and for larger "beans," plastic pony beads or similar will do the trick.

Rice and beans are also unwashable. Meanwhile, plastic is perfectly washable. But the biggest problem remains the fact that, unless you keep your doll in an airtight container (what fun - and bugs are known to get into those, anyway,) sooner or later you're going to have an infestation on your hands, and a piece of garbage where once an adorable amigurumi stood.

Here's hoping you read this, Ms. Werker, and I further hope that you'll find a way to open and de-bean your amigurumi.

PS: The phrase "amigurumi dolls" is redundant. Such a little helper I am. Okay, so some would say pestilential corrector... but redundancy is a pet peeve of mine. I swear if I hear "Sahara desert" one more time, some nasty stuff is goin' down.
Submitted by Maryann (not verified) on 17 March 2006 - 3:50am."

Although I realize you probably need something heavy and dense for a draft stopper, just, seeing/reading your post reminded me of that ^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Riding off into the sunset, just me...and my trusty G hook on my hip...

Ravelry - http://www.ravelry.com/people/Ixodes
Wists - http://wists.com/Sovietweed
Boyfriend's Webcomic - http://ontheinside.smackjeeves.com/comics/
nuttywoman

Help I`m trapped in the glass in my back door!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008 04:42:19 PM »

Love the snake , looks a happy little thing  Grin
We just stuff them with old rags, clothes etc when we make them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Tuxedo Mani
​The Best Black Friday and Cyber Monday Beauty Deals
What You Need to Know Before You Wax
Black Friday Beauty Deals
How To Make Your Own Face Mask At Home Using Yogurt, Honey And Grapes
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...