A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,071
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing machine is being all evil and scrunching/pulling my fabric!  (Read 1351 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ludicrouslouisa
« on: October 16, 2008 10:00:31 PM »

Help meeee
recently whenever I sew ANY kind of stitch on my mother's bernina Special 1000 it does this..
the top thread for some reason stays pretty much straight, as if it refuses to go into stitches, meaning the back thread has to do all the work with forcing it into stitch shapes.

the back thread goes all loose and bobbly, and crunches the fabric, as well as pulling threads out of the fabric.
I can't sew like this...it ruins the fabric and the stitching has practically NO structural stability if the top thread is too tight and the bottom too loose! Everything is set to the optimum tensions etc for straight stitch (I double checked in the book)
what is going wroooooong....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008 07:09:54 AM »

First, take all thread out of the machine, clean, oil, and use canned air to dust.  Second, rewind a fresh bobbin, and reload it slowly, making very sure to put it in properly.  Third, change your needle.  Reload your top thread, again, going over every step thoroughly.  Now see what happens.  Fiddle with the tension.  Even if it says those are the "optimum" settings, they may not be right for the fabric that you're using.  Also, every time that happens to me, I've noticed it's because my top thread jumps, then gets wound around the spool pin, causing it to be very tight.  (Make sure your spool spins freely around the pin, and the thread isn't knotted or tangled.)   When you test it out, use a nice, starched, crunchy cotton, doubled over.  That's what most sewing machines like the best.

If none of that solves it, I'd take it in for a tune up.  But then that's about where my sewing machine knowledge taps out.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
SpottedFrog
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008 09:00:56 AM »

Everything she said Smiley

Is that a super close up picture or is that a very thick thread? What you are sewing with can affect tension too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ludicrouslouisa
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008 02:58:07 PM »

It's a standard all purpose sewing thread - that's a super close up picture.
I think my needle is a bit too thick for the job but I don't have a thinner one I can use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LMAshton
Kitchen Witch

Canada -> Sri Lanka -> New Zealand -> Singapore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008 02:41:37 AM »

It's a tension problem.  The top thread tension is too tight - I would loosen it up.  It also looks like the bottom thread tension is too loose.

When tension is set properly, the parts where the threads twist over each other (for lack of a better way of putting it at the moment) will meet exactly in the middle of the fabric, so you won't see the bottom thread coming through to the top of the fabric like I can see in your top picture.  And it won't bunch like that, either.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Vintage Bowles - Shopping at Porte De Clignancourt in Paris
Jeanius - Grace Givens on Blue and White Patterns
Vintage Bowles - Discovering Comme Des Garçons in Paris
Jeanius - Chloe Malle on Wearing Pop Over Shirts
From the Vogue Closet - How to Wear a Slip Dress
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...