A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,669
Currently Running With Scissors:
649 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Formal dress - help me improve the bodice!  (Read 1017 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ludicrouslouisa
« on: October 16, 2008 09:56:17 PM »

Ok..well I want my formal dress to look something like this:

I have a raw silk like this which will only be enough for the top part of the bodice.

the rest of the dress will have to be made out of satin/sik in some other contrasting colour. I was thinking of making the middle waistband out of zippers instead of cloth but anyway...

so I made a muslin out of a polycotton sheet. I am very happy with how the skirt turned out

but as you can see, the front makes me look flat! And the side zipper is pretty awful (I'm thinking that I will have to sacrifice invisibility for comfort when I make the actual dress.)
I used this tutorial to make the bust:
http://www.burdastyle.com/howtos/show/1153
But I don't know..maybe because sheets don't have much structural stability? It stays up OK (although if I'm moving around a lot it might slip.....) FYI I'm around b up top so I won't need a lot of support. Is there any way to do the bust so it doesn't flatten me out so much? I know the silk will be stiffer and thicker for one thing.
(oh and the pleated middle thing didn't work so well...how would you suggest doing a gathered waistband?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008 09:05:17 AM »

Get a strapless bra that fits well, a full cup type not a boob tube type (maybe a little padding if you want) and sew it right into the bodice all across the front & maybe one tack in the back somewhere. Just having a bra there is going to reduce the flattening effect, help keep it up & make you feel more secure. Also prevents the nippleage showing thing.

This type would work well:
http://www.maidenform.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=70772&categoryId=5&wtlCategory=Special%20Occasion&parentCategoryId=5
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008 09:06:33 AM by Penlowe » THIS ROCKS   Logged
AllieAnalogue
Analogue girl in a digital world.

Stylist and designer with a subversive streak.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008 05:52:47 PM »

Hi Louisa,
Ooh, your muslin is looking beautiful!
Some suggestions for the bodice:
You will probably want a strapless bra, and maybe invest in some double sided tape made for strapless dresses.  However, to give the bust more shape so it's not flattening out your boobs: when you redo the muslin, on the outer sides of the bodice piece add about an inch or so from top to bottom so you can put a dart from the center of the side seam toward your nipple-- that will make a nice cup shape around your "goods" without just stretching across.  ( I was thinking of a horizontal dart, but this tutorial shows you how to make a vertical bust dart, may or may not be helpful- http://www.burdastyle.com/howtos/show/867)
And for the waist band: cut a piece of fabric that is the size and shape that you want the finished waist band to be.  Cut another piece 1.5-2 times longer from top to bottom, gather it as you like, and baste it onto the flat piece, and then stitch it onto the bodice, and add your skirt.
I hope that makes sense.  Good luck!  Make sure you post the finished piece.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Allie
Stylist and designer, a fashionista with a subversive streak. I believe that fashion should be fun and fortifying, not mean or oppressive.

My blog: www.AnalogueChic.co m
My shop: AllieAnalogue.Etsy. com
CafePress: www.CafePress.com/AnalogueChic
ludicrouslouisa
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008 11:12:31 PM »

Well...OK I've managed to get this far! The bodice is fine (will need to sweetheart-erise it when I put the lining in, the princess seams and strapless bra are helping the shape a lot...) and the waistband is working

but the zip is doing this weird crinkly thing at the back...
here are pictures. I'm not sure what I can do to amend this...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyMcCrafterson

art should not exist for the sake of itself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008 11:22:28 PM »

your zipper is working really hard. If you add more shaping to the back with seams it might help smooth that out nicely. great job so far!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dianneofalltrades.blogspot.com/

Looking for dead pointe shoes.
Muria
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008 03:59:57 AM »

Is the grey part longer in the back than in the front?  I'm thinking it might be bunching because it has to be narrower in the back than in the front (in part because the fabric in the back doesn't have to go over your chest, so the fabric seems longer). You can see that it wrinkles just a teeny bit in the first set of pictures you took, but the zipper just pulls it all out of whack.  Adding in a piece of fabric that's flat underneath the waist piece might help flatten the zipper (if you don't already have one in there), but if it doesn't, I'd look to making the top piece shorter from top to bottom and see if that helps.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Brendan McNally Reveals His Best Quality
Amy Reed Reveals Her Most Noticeable Trait
Chris Evans Talks About The Iron Elves Series
Lisa Lampanelli is Funny
Mark Palmer and Scott Solder Talks About You Need This Book
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...