A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,709
Currently Running With Scissors:
543 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP! I'm a newbie!!  (Read 551 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

supergir
« on: October 15, 2008 09:06:23 PM »

I want to make my dog's halloween costume. I found <a href="http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3096760">this</a>. It seems easy. I know I'll need white fabric, velcro and some black fabric for the ghost face. But, how do I start Huh? Should I make a pattern? Do I need to have the dog measured? WHAT DO I DO?
I did take sewing in high school, but even then the teacher wan't helpful. I have 14 days until that day. I have a chihuahua mix dog, but he's mostly chihuahua with long legs. I don't want the costume to be long like his legs. He'll get it dirty. Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jagged
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008 09:53:34 PM »

I'd try making a pattern using newspaper.  I would make a separate "hood" pattern piece.  For the part that goes on his back, decide how long you want the costume to be, cut it to the right length (don't forget seam allowances), then fold the pattern in half the long way and round off the back corners.  For the front part, keep your pattern folded, and cut a slope for where your dog's shoulders are, and round the front edges where the costume is velcroed.  Take another paper (a square piece) and decide how big the hood should be.  You will probably need to round off the front, lower part of the hood so that it will match up with the curve of the "jacket" piece.  Decide where you want your ghost face to sit and how big it should be.  Sew the ghost face to the hood fabric, then sew the hood to body.  Sew the velcro closure. 

Maybe a modified version of this pattern would work.http://www.sewing.circleofcrafters.com/freepetvestpattern.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Brittany Geragotelis on What the Spell
Stanley Tucci Shares Family Recipes in His New Cookbook
R.L. Stine Reveals His New Adult Novel Red Rain
The Final Death of the Novel
Exposing Scientology
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...