A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,458
Currently Running With Scissors:
780 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sparkly Pom-Pom Scarf  (Read 969 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dancechica
« on: October 15, 2008 02:31:35 PM »

This is my first project with cables!  I am really happy with how it turned out.  Cables are not nearly as scary as I thought they would be.  The only thing is, my scarf curls like crazy on the edges.  I tried blocking it and it helped a little.  I don't really mind cause it's not that noticeable when I am wearing it.

Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dragonmama
MILF-y Crafter

Retired Swapper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008 02:59:54 PM »

I'm no good with your problem but that is a really adorable scarf!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sandandsilk.wordpress.com

wists.com/dragoneyezed
NeZHaX
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008 03:23:26 PM »

That's like THE perfect scarf. Makes me wish I could knit more than just a rectangle... hehe. Any chance you could post how you made it? :D
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mommycrochets
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008 06:55:30 PM »

You scarf turned out very nice. Looks warm and cozy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lizafer06

Save the Chief!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008 12:41:47 AM »

I'm not sure and I could be wrong, but I think knitters often put some kind of border on things to help with the curling. You might want to try looking it up...

On another note, that scarf is absolutely gorgeous! Did you make the pattern up? Would you mind sharing it or telling us where you found it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dancechica
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008 08:29:43 AM »

Thanks guys! I did not make the cable pattern up, I used this one: http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/scarfcable.htm  because I thought the cable was really beautiful.  I modified the pattern a little bit because I made it thinner and I added the pom-poms.

And NeZHaX,  I heard you can do cables with crochet!  Basically all I did to make it was do a skinny-ish cabled scarf, not too long, and then added two pom-poms on each end.  I am envisioning a crochet version Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PUFFYsanjo
Why does D.W. have a bowling ball in her room!?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008 10:07:49 AM »

That is beautifully made. I am impressed. I've tried cables once before, just to try them out, and it took a lot of attention to keep track of the times to slip the stitches. I ended up with different length cables.

The reason why your knitting is curling is because stockinette stitch curls at the edges, which is why the stitch is great for clothing that wraps around the body. To prevent this from happening, you could knit a garter stitch border around your scarf to stabilize it. Garter stitch is when you knit a row, turn your knitting, and knit again, and continually knitting this way. To do the garter stitch border, knit the first few rows, then your next row, do an inch of garter stitch, then your stockinette stitch for a while, then finish the row by doing the same amount of garter stitch like the beginning of the row. Here's an example of a square that has 12 stitches:

Row 1 knit 12.
Row 2 knit 12.    } These three rows are garter stitch
Row 3 knit 12.
Row 4 knit 3, knit 6, knit 3
Row 5 knit 3, purl 6, knit 3
Row 6 knit 3, knit 6, knit 3
Row 7 knit 3, purl 6, knit 3     }These 8 rows are your stockinette stitch with garter stitch on either
Row 8 knit 3, knit 6, knit 3       side.
Row 9 knit 3, purl 6, knit 3
Row 10 knit 3, knit 6, knit 3
Row 11 knit 3, purl 6, knit 3
Row 12 knit 12.
Row 13 knit 12.    } These three rows are garter stitch
Row 14 knit 12.

Another way to stop the curling is to knit your scarf again so that you have two rectangles of knitting, then sew these two rectangles together with the wrong sides together. Since your scarf curls, putting the two rectangles that both curl should cancel the curling. I would recommend this method. This way, you have your beautiful cables on the front and back of your scarf. Then after you put the two together, you can add your pom poms.

Sorry if this was really long and/or confusing! Let me know if there's something you don't understand. I want to get a digital camera sometime soon, so I could just post photos to illustrate my directions. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To learn more about the race controversy of the upcoming The Last Airbender movie, visit Racebending.com.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Preparing to Deep Fry a Turkey in Oil
How to Stuff, Prepare, and Cook a Turkey
How to Carve a Turkey
How to Make Turkey Gravy
How to Make Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...