A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,661
Currently Running With Scissors:
453 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help With Wings For Costume?  (Read 2721 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

yamakarasu
« on: October 14, 2008 08:01:04 PM »

I'm planning on being a devil for Halloween this year, as a sort of last minute-ish idea after one of my best friends told me she was thinking of being an angel. Now 2 of my other friends are thinking of being an angel and devil too, haha, so we'll be a darn good looking team! But.. I digress! Smiley

I actually have most of the pieces for my costume, either things I already own, plus things I've bought recently, but I decided earlier on that I wanted to make a pair of devil/bat-style wings to go with it. I found the perfect fabrics for this and I have it pictured in my head. It must be perfect! But my dress is a strapless dress, and I've been wondering if there's any real way of making wings without having to use straps like a backpack. That's probably 99% of wings out there... but is there a real tried-and-tested way of making this? I'm going to try to make my wings as light as possible, but they're going to be made out of regular fabric and wire and not like fairy wings that you can make from thin wire and stockings. Maybe use some kind of clips? Somehow attaching it to something under my dress? Problem is I want my wings to be sturdy, maybe a medium-ish size and I'd hate for them to fall off from the weight and lack of support.. but how can I make them and wear them without having straps around my shoulders? Is this doable? I'm having a tough time finding ways of achieving this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008 06:04:13 AM »

Typically, strapless wings are worn with corsets, they've got a loop of wire that goes down from the back-brace (where the wings connect) and this slides into the back of your corset, and ta-da!  Strapless wings.  Is your shirt tight enough to do this?  Or can you wear a corset underneath?  Barring that, you could probably do the loop and use two pieces of ribbon or elastic that run through it, and go around your waist/just under your bust to keep it from slipping.  Good luck!  I'm actually making a pair of angel wings and a pair of "fallen angel" wings for some friends right now, but they're vinyl and cellophane, not fabric.  Still fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
HappyMadison87
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008 06:09:39 AM »

The only things I can come up with, is to find a way to attach the wings to either a strapless bra or corset (corset would be a lot sturdier, but you'd have to have or make one), and I don't know if you were planning on wearing any jewellery with it, but perhaps you could wear a choker (like a collar type choker, one that is wide and maybe leather or something like that) and draw some string up from the wings, between your shoulder blades, and to the back of the choker.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artcat81

No Power in the 'Verse can stop me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008 07:46:01 AM »

I'd make a wire frame of the wings, with a u shaped section to tuck down your back, I much prefer it to the backpack style.

and like every one else has said, it works much better stuffed down a corset.  Buut assuming your wings are superlight a bra strap should suffice, if its going to be heavier, make yourself some wide bands of elastic fitted to your torso, wear them under your clothing and use them in place of a corset.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down"   - Malcolm Reynolds- Firefly
"Normal is a failure of Potential" - Eli Stone
yamakarasu
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008 03:56:48 PM »

Ohh you are all my heroes. Thanks for every one of your comments; they're all insanely helpful! I never would have considered using a corset as a way of holding the wings. I have a few corsets so this is perfect. The choker idea is great too since I was going to wear one as well. I'll have to play with this for a while and draw up some ideas, maybe do some tests.

Now I just need to start MAKING the wings! I didn't want to start till I figured out the whole attachment thing, but now I'm even more excited to get going. I'm still a little nervous if I'll make it work, but I won't know till I try. Thanks again! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artcat81

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008 07:23:16 AM »

I'm afraid I haven't had a chance to sketch out framework, but these sites and tutorials might help some

This one is actually feathered wings, but the wire framework is similar
http://www.instructables.com/id/SH5F58LFJPL6CGE/

here is another alternative a modified backpack method... too heavy and rigid for what I normally do
http://www.whatishcc.com/tutorials/wingharness.php

Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down"   - Malcolm Reynolds- Firefly
Cuttie_2008
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008 08:19:04 PM »

artcat81: That second link there? Yea. That just became part of my halloween costume.
 Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my infantile blog! http://juliadawn.blog.com/
steiconi
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008 11:42:35 PM »

And you could also consider attaching one wing to each arm, so you can flap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artcat81

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008 07:36:05 AM »

Steiconi, I did that one year, I had a broken bat kite, pulled its supports out and safety pinned the wings to me, I was a bat that year
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Production Studio - Lower Thirds
Adobe Production Studio - Masking Out an Area and Using Pathfinder to Crop
Adobe Production Studio - Creating a Background for the Bug
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Access and Purge Cache Files
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Copy and Paste Camera Raw Settings
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...