A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,336
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vegan Baked Goods without Margarine?  (Read 1077 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

spaghetti
« on: October 14, 2008 07:45:55 PM »

Does anyone have any recipes for vegan cookies, cakes, pies, etc. that don't use margarine?  I haven't been happy with the results I've gotten, even using Earth Balance.  Anything with apples is a total bonus -- I picked about 25 lbs of them this weekend Smiley  Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vegetarian yarnivore
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008 12:37:32 PM »

For cakes, I often use a recipe with oil. I use sunflower oil, but I think it doesn't matter which one. You end up with an almost dough, but that's okay. Unfortunately, my recipe is not vegan, but I think you could try a normal vegan cupcake recipe, use oil instead of margarine, pour all the dough into your cake mold, throw lots of apple slices on it, add some sugar and optionally walnuts (if you roast them in caramelized sugar first, people will kill to get a piece of your cake Smiley ).
The apples will sink in a bit while baking, but that's okay. I think the caramel/walnut version is called Bohemian Apple Pie. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spaghetti
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008 03:16:34 PM »

Oooh that sounds lovely!  And I've even got walnuts in my freezer Smiley  Would you mind posting your cake recipe?  I'm actually really good at substituting for eggs -- it's the butter/margarine that have been giving me fits.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vegetarian yarnivore
missmuffcake

Spicy but sweet!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008 03:12:22 PM »

I find a good quality olive oil lends a buttery taste to cookies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's more to life than books you know
                But not much more
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008 03:30:07 PM »

This is a basic cake recipe from a book that can be varied a lot. I make it often.

4 eggs
250g sugar
200ml orange juice
200ml oil
300g flour
baking soda

You can make a foamy basis from eggs and sugar before adding the rest, but it also works if you just put everything in a bowl and stir Smiley

The orange juice can be substituted by any other liquid you choose, like coffee. You also can add all kinds of ingredients, like nuts, chocolate powder, spices (cinnamon, for example), and you can put fruits on it or in it. I make cupcakes with this recipe too.

Please tell me, how would you substitute the eggs in this recipe? I sometimes have visitors with allergy issues. Usually, they will have fruit salad, but I'd like to have a cake recipe for them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spaghetti
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008 04:13:42 PM »

Thanks for posting the recipe!  Unfortunately, egg substitutes work best in recipes where there are only 1 or 2 eggs -- otherwise it just changes the flavor and/or the texture too much.  The two substitutes that I use most often are flaxseed (take 1 tablespoon of flaxseeds, grind in a blender or spice grinder, then mix with 3 tablespoons of water until it's gooey) and fruit (3 tablespoons of applesauce or ripe bananas, plus about 1/4 tsp baking powder).  Flaxseeds taste kind of like a cross between nuts and whole wheat -- they're good in cookies and gingerbread and other things that aren't too delicate.  And fruit goes well in anything that will already taste like fruit Smiley  Sorry that I couldn't be much help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vegetarian yarnivore
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008 02:51:08 AM »

I love flaxseed! Never thought that it's gooeyness resembles egg white, but I'd like to give it a try in cookies.
Thanks for the egg substitution tips. I already had a suspicion that for this cake it might be difficult to substitute them, but I can use the substitutes on other recipes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Mom Hacks: Easy Cake Pops
How to Make Buttermilk Pancakes
How to Make Fizzy Candy
How to Make Caramel Sauce
How to Make Olive Oil Hot Fudge
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...