A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,177
Currently Running With Scissors:
595 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gift for Mommy....HELP!  (Read 693 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Aly_421
i <3 theatre, but not the DRAMA.

anyone home?? echO-O-O-O-o....

View Profile WWW
« on: March 02, 2005 10:23:19 AM »

I want to make something for my mom. We always just give her a card for her birthday and Mother's Day. [when is mother's day???]. She's a good lady and I would love to give her something.

Our livingroom is red and black and her bedroom is going to be dark blue. Maybe some decorations for there. BUT WHAT?!

My mom's a very sensible lady so something quaint and simple will do.

NEED IDEAS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.myspace.com/aly421

too many mutha ucka's, uckin with my shi
theres too many mutha ucka's uckin with my shi
too many mutha ucka's uckin with my shi
how many mutha ucka's?
too many too count! mutha ucka.
Kiell
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005 10:28:06 PM »

This isn't at all crafty (and not at all cheap), but for my mom's b-day a few times we have gotten her massage and spa packages, and they were greatly appreciated, I believe....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DrewsUSAgirl
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005 12:10:13 AM »

coaster for living room? tehre are a few on here ... try searching for coasters.
picture frames for  her room
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aly_421

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005 12:56:32 PM »

thanks guys! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.myspace.com/aly421

how many mutha ucka's?
juliel85
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Serial Crafter

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005 02:08:18 PM »

well I don't know if it's too late, but I did this for mom for her last birthday.  I bought a medium sized canvas from the art store and painted the background light blue.  I painted a dark blue border around the edge and when that dried glued a skinny strip of tin foil inside the border to make it shine. 
Then I made about a million color copies of pictures of our family...from when we were younger, from now, from my parents' honeymoon, etc. at an office supply store.  I then collaged them over the bulk (but not all) of the light blue part using watered down elmers and a paintbrush (I like this because you don't get the "sheen" modge podge gives you and it's LOTS cheaper). 
For a finishing touch, I mixed the dark blue paint with silver paint and made six perfect circles (using a penny) along the top in a row.  I glued a letter bead in the center of each one, spelling "family".  Then I used letter beads with hearts on them and glued one to each corner of the collage.  She absolutely adored it, it made her cry.  This whole process took me about one full afternoon, and it goes a step beyond just a normal collage.  It's hanging in our foyer!

Oh, and I used a sharpie and wrote a message to her along the wood frame in the back.  So it counts as a card and a present! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aly_421

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005 02:13:46 PM »

nope, it's not too late. in fact, it's never too late. what i don't use now, i will probably use.

thank you so much for the inspiration!

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.myspace.com/aly421

how many mutha ucka's?
JaneJane
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005 06:33:21 PM »

Quick, simple, easy, and can be fairly inexpensive:  no sew drawer sachets.

MATERIALS:

6 or 8 inch squares of cloth that "breath"
    can use netting/tulle, eyelet, light wieight muslin, thin lining matierals, etc...
3-6 cotton balls each sachette
ribbon, jute, raffeta, yarn or something to tie with - @12" inch length/each sachette
scent
   can use pure vanilla or another kitchen flavoring
   can use an essential oil or even popourri oil
   it's great when you can use some of the recipient's own perfume/scent

scissors to cut the cloth and ties with
optionally, a glass or metal pan if using a mister or spray bottle
optionally, a rubber band for each sachette
NOTE:  You may want to spray the scent outdoors

OVERVIEW
   This is essentially a cotton ball based, cloth covered version of the kleenex ghosts many of us made as kids for Halloween.

TO MAKE

1) Cut cloth into squares; one square per sachette
2) Cut a length of tieing material for each sachette
3) Put a square down with the right (outside) of the material facing down, wrong side facing up.
4) Grab 3-6 cotton balls (quantity depends on how big each is) and squich them into a single ball.
5) Spray or put a drop(s) of scent on the single bunch of cotton balls.  (You may want to do this outside and put your cotton ball bunch in a glass or metal pan to catch the over spray.  Also, the more you do, the less sensitive you'll be to the stregnth/amount of scent; a little can go a long way.  Wash your pan well in hot water with plenty of soap.)
6) Put your scented cotton ball bunch in the center of your square of material.
7) Gather your square of cloth around the cotton ball bunch, wrap the tieing material once around the base, and tie off; finish with a bow if desired.  Optionally, secure with a rubber band and then wrap the tieing material around. 

Make just one, one for every drawer, or two for the larger drawers.  For giving, place in a small basket; use left over Easter grass, raffetta, or run brown mailing paper through a shredder for basket filling.  Or, put in a simple, white gift box with some tissue paper.  Or, put in a plain brown lunch sack type bag, gather at the neck, and use some of the same tieing material to secure.  A decorative metal tin, a nice wood box, a decoplauged box, or a cloth covered box would work as a gift giving container.  Often in the craft stores, you can find small satin or flat finished metal boxes in white that work great for gift giving containers as is.  Craft stores also have any number of other types of wood and other containers for decorating that work great as is as gift giving containers.  You could even go "practical" and put them in a shoe or other storage container with some white tissue paper. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hair How To: The Beehive
Great Vitamin For Hair, From Dr. Oz
Product Snapshot: Oscar Blandi Pronto Volume and Texture Spray
How to Cut Your Own Bangs
How to Get Sexy Wavy Beach Curls
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...