A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
553 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hoodie for a pitbull?  (Read 1039 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bloodybella
I craft out of neccesity

Well...here I go!!

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2008 02:55:43 PM »

Okay, So I have a 2 year old APBT who happens to have some pretty bad joint problems. She gets full doses of glucosamine daily, but when it gets cold her shoulders start to get sore and she limps.

Now, she goes to work with me on a daily basis and the weather is starting to get colder.
I was looking for a coat or hoodie to buy for her but ran into 4 problems:
1. Expense. Anything worth buying costs way to much
2. Cut. I mostly find things that have open shoulders. They call them "jackets" but function more like vests to me.
3. Functionality. It has to have easy access for a leash and collar. (she doesn't need either but...its the law. and it keeps me from having to worry about other dogs in the lobby at work)
4. Fit. Most patterns I've found are for small dogs, and they are just built different. Because she is a bull she has massive shoulders and a large box shaped head. Even patterns for large dogs are usually for tall skinny dogs (haha, kinda like the difference from regular to plus size clothing. Just because I'm +size doesn't mean I'm 4ft tall!!)<huge head!!

Anywhoo, I would like to make her a hoodie that has a hood (duh...because I think it would be cute), sleeves that cove the shoulders, and leash access. Kindof like this: But obviously for a much larger dog.

I don't really sew this kind of clothing...I mostly make skirts, bags and baby clothes, and although I've been sewing for a very long time...my skills technical are some what lacking.
I would even consider reconing a regular hoodie, but wouldn't know where to start.
If anyone has any suggestions we would love you forever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ashes, ashes, we all fall down.
kewlmomma
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008 03:32:11 PM »

I also have a boxer/pit mix and had problems finding a shirt for her. I went to a thrift store and found a big kids shirt that was a bit big for her then I modified it. I mostly had to take fabric from the front (take it in.) It may have not been an  expert job, but it worked for cheep. I don't see why you couldn't find a hoodie and try the same. If you mess it up at least you don't put alot of investment into it. Give it a try.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition form mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein
soonersunshine
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008 03:42:48 PM »

here is an option i found when i was trying to do make a sweater myself:

http://www.barlowscientific.com/technotes/home/sweater.htm

the pattern looks pretty easy and the shape looks as if if could be modified (to make the arms longer, make the neck bigger etc) and a hood could easily be attatched, i would put a button hole large enough to fit the leash through where the collar meets the hood.

another thing you could do is cut the shape out of paper, then you could modify it as you want and have a pattern the correct size for future coats.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
determinedimprovisation

overly-excited crafter of all trades

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008 03:57:13 PM »

I made a jacket for my pit mix last year using McCall's 4686, view C, minus the hood (she'd try to eat it).  The pattern doesn't have sleeves, but I drafted some after the body was sewn.  It was pretty easy, and I've never drafted anything before.  Just make sure the sleeves end above her dew claw.  The chest fit her just fine, but I had to lengthen the butt-flap.  Also, the chest was really open and I think it would be even with the hood, so I added some elastic cord.
I did like soonersunshine suggested and made a large button hole on the back for the leash to clip onto her harness.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
bloodybella
I craft out of neccesity

Well...here I go!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008 06:15:43 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions ladies. I think I'll go through my old hoodies and see if I have anything small enough to try and recon.
I can't decide wether to try a zip up or pull over. The zip up seems like it may go on easier, but I wouldn't want the zipper to irritate her already sensitive skin. Mabe I'll try both and see what works best.
Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ashes, ashes, we all fall down.
keeperrox
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008 06:20:58 PM »

You seem to have some good suggestions, so I don't have anything to offer, but I wanted to tell you that your girl is beautiful.  Those eyes are so soulful. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
determinedimprovisation

overly-excited crafter of all trades

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008 07:13:42 AM »

I can't decide wether to try a zip up or pull over. The zip up seems like it may go on easier, but I wouldn't want the zipper to irritate her already sensitive skin. Mabe I'll try both and see what works best.
Thanks again!

My girl has sensitive skin too, so I put a little flap behind the zipper to keep it from rubbing on her.  I could never wrangle her into a pull-over!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Animated Myspace Banner in Photoshop Cs3 Cs4
How to Put a Picture in a Gadget Effect in Photoshop Cs3 Cs4
How to Make a Professional Business Card in Photoshop Cs3 Cs4
How to Remove Acne Spots in Photoshop
How to Enhance Breast Size in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...