A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,122
Currently Running With Scissors:
707 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Solar system cake and unbelievably delicious thanksgiving cake  (Read 9887 times)
Tags for this thread: solar_system_crafts , thanksgiving  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Licer

Leg warmers are my friend.

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2008 01:23:09 PM »

My new passion is cake decorating. One day i would like to make cakes for a business but for now I do it for family events and for the practice. Theses are the last two cakes I made. The solar system one was for my niece's birthday. She turned 8 and is so smart. She was telling me all about nebulas and black holes. Too funny! The second one was for our Thanksgiving supper. The philosophy of my one day potential business is that I want to make cakes that look great AND taste even better. In my opinion, copious ammounts of butter cream or fondant isn't the nicest tasting dessert. I think I nailed it with this one!

« Last Edit: October 15, 2008 08:36:46 AM by Licer - Reason: a few detail pics added » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ralfkitty
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008 01:34:08 PM »

Very cute! Are the "planets" edible? They look like cupcakes but I can't really tell from the picture. The leaves on the thanksgiving cake look great Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make vegan mineral makeup!
Find me at http://minerallove.etsy.com Smiley
Phildude
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008 01:34:31 PM »

OMG that solar system cake is amazing I bet your niece was in awe I know I am and as fopr the theoiry of butter cream icing and fondent i think youv hit the nail on the head wow I still cvant believe that cake Shocked Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

QuiltersBlock

She's the model for the :D emoticon

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008 01:48:28 PM »

Love them both! (Poor Pluto. Got axed before your niece's bday)

That Thanksgiving cake is super lovely.

QB
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Under any other circumstances, an exuberant Roman soldier would be my idea of a perfect morning." -- Capt. Jack Harkness

Personal swaps? Absolutely!
cathiphop
Knitty Gritty MilCity

The city would be prettier covered in yarn...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008 02:03:59 PM »

wow. you can really see the passion in those cakes. And the wonderful calories. Wink Questions: Is that wire holding the cupcake(?) planets up? Is that fondant on the sun? How did you get it so spikey? It looks like you used sprinkles on some planets-how did you decorate the others? About the Thanksgiving cake-what kind of cake/frosting is that? Did you make the leaves? Just answer what you can when you can.
great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to contribute to an art installation? Any help would be great-join the ball game! go to 6/29/2008 of this blog for details: http://cthulhucrochet.blogspot.com/
Licer

Leg warmers are my friend.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008 04:02:18 PM »

wow. you can really see the passion in those cakes. And the wonderful calories. Wink Questions: Is that wire holding the cupcake(?) planets up? Is that fondant on the sun? How did you get it so spikey? It looks like you used sprinkles on some planets-how did you decorate the others? About the Thanksgiving cake-what kind of cake/frosting is that? Did you make the leaves? Just answer what you can when you can.
great job!

Thanks for the comments!

Yes it is about 16 gauge wire formed into a loop to hold the cup cake planets.

It is stiff butter cream icing piped for the sun spikes.

I colored sugar with color paste and covered what i didn't want the sugar on with wax paper and then rolled the icing in the sugar.

Some of the other planets are: roasted marshmallow, tinted piping gel, and chocolate.

The Thanksgiving cake topping is semi sweet chocolate and butter poured over top and the filling is cream cheese, whipped topping, and crushed cookies. Yum!

I have a maple tree in my back yard so I picked some nice shaped leaves, washed them, painted chocloate on them=, let them cool and then peeled off the leaves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cathiphop
Knitty Gritty MilCity

The city would be prettier covered in yarn...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008 07:43:09 PM »

thanks for answering my questions, and you're freakin brilliant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to contribute to an art installation? Any help would be great-join the ball game! go to 6/29/2008 of this blog for details: http://cthulhucrochet.blogspot.com/
ZombieMama
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008 03:32:40 AM »

omg im this close to licking my computer screen
this was not the smartest of forums to visit during a diet Cry
the cakes look fabulous and i want to find the chocolate tree you got those leaves from;)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Phildude
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008 03:35:22 AM »

thanks for answering my questions, and you're freakin brilliant.

DITTO

Some of the other planets are: roasted marshmallow, tinted piping gel, and chocolate.

The Thanksgiving cake topping is semi sweet chocolate and butter poured over top and the filling is cream cheese, whipped topping, and crushed cookies. Yum!

I have a maple tree in my back yard so I picked some nice shaped leaves, washed them, painted chocloate on them=, let them cool and then peeled off the leaves.

OMG *Drool* I am mesmirised with your desertastic genius and the leaves are well clever too
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008 12:27:01 PM »

omg im this close to licking my computer screen
this was not the smartest of forums to visit during a diet Cry
the cakes look fabulous and i want to find the chocolate tree you got those leaves from;)

Agreed! I'm salivating right now, as much from your description of the thanksgiving cake as the photo! The solar system is utter brilliance, original and cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
United States in Style: New Mexico
5 Ways To Wear A White Dress After Labor Day
Fashions To Help Your Kids Rock The New School Year
How to Wear Sheer Fashions This Fall
New Technology To Fight Against Fake Goods
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...