A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
668 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first venture into Metalsmithing...  (Read 1232 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

micropeach
« on: May 22, 2005 09:36:18 PM »

Thought this might be of slight interest. I had absolutely no experience before this. My only 3-D skills are in ceramics, so torches and crucibles were a new and wonderful thing. This is the result of my 6-week Intro to Metalsmithing class.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/micropeach/DSC00737.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/micropeach/DSC00740.jpg
 A better picture as far as reference to actual size

The ring is watercast silver. I used a copper brush to shine it up a bit, then sanded it to open up some of the pores. I used black max on a few spots, then used some kind of sulfur (should have written it down) for layering on different color spectrums. I used the copper brush again to take away most of the patina on the outside, leaving it just a darkened silver. The inside color was intact until I decided to scratch at it so it was just flecks of color. It was really fun to watch it come together as far as experimenting with different techniques when it comes to a piece's finish. I definitely want to pursue this in the future... hopefully.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011 03:44:01 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kiell
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005 09:38:25 PM »

That's pretty sweet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
quack
the wooley duck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005 10:00:22 PM »

That's looks pretty cool. It almost reminds me of an oyster with a pearl inside from the angle of the first picture for some reason. Is it very heavy?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Eat Art
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005 05:43:26 AM »

What's watercasting? I've done cuttlefish bone and lost-wax casting, but I hate hate hate casting so I never ever do it.

Liver of Sulpher is the stuff you use to color it Smiley Unfortunately it wears off after a time. The insides of your ring will probably stay black, but the outsides will end up shiney.

Very nice Smiley

btw - My portfolio is up at http://fishtop.com/photos/view_album.php?set_albumName=Portfolio01 if your'e at all interested, I have some metal stuff up there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.dadahaus.com
Fun and Funky Jewelry, Crafting Tips, and more
http://www.indiecraftshows.com
Find indie craft shows in your area!
micropeach
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005 08:09:25 AM »

quack- It's really not very heavy at all. Perhaps a smidgen more so than any typical ring. Enough weight to remind you of it's presence. I definitely felt like the negative space was like an oyster-which was interesting since when I saw similar rings I thought they looked like little fungal spores.

I Eat Art- Watercasting is so incredibly simple! And just a blast since you have no idea what you will end up with. You just melt the silver (or any metal I would imagine) in the crucible. You keep the torch on it as you just sort of swing around to a strategically placed bucket of cold water. The dropping of the silver has to be a pretty deft motion, but you can tweak the height from which you drop it/how much silver. You get some really incredible results. I am still trying to figure out what to do with all the other watercastings... Isn't there some way to preserve the finish? Oh well, daggumit. I will definitely investigate your portfolio.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
perilously_divine
Moi

Keep on Rock'n in the Craft World

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005 09:08:32 AM »

Cute!!!!!!! I am envious of metalsmithign and am crookin to try
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shadowcat
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005 07:54:03 AM »

Ooh, thats really pretty
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Neigung
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2005 07:26:34 PM »

How would you melt the metal?  Would a torch work?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alenecouture.etsy.com - updated: 13/04/09
alenecouture.blogspot.com  - updated: 06/01/09
Find Me on Facebook !
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Shadow
How to Draw Scar
How to Draw Santa
How to Draw Sakura Haruno
How to Draw Rose
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...