A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,666
Currently Running With Scissors:
651 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Light spring shawl, now with pattern!  (Read 4389 times)
Tags for this thread: shawl , wrap , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sooz
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2005 03:09:17 AM »

Thanks for all the compliments! It's boosted my knitting ego to irresponsible heights.

Here's the pattern:

Materials:
- MC one skein (approx 250 metres) of very thin mohair or other fluffy yarn;
- CC one skein (approx 50 metres) of very bulky yarn in a different colour;
- 10 mm needles. Using dpns or circs would probably be easiest, but I used straights instead. The pattern includes instructions for both.

Method:
- Cast on 50 stitches in CC. More if you want your shawl wider and more shawly, less if you want it to be narrower and more scarfy;
- Change to MC. Make sure to cast on and off losely if you want to be able to wear it as a shawl, otherwise your ends won't have enough stretch widthwise;
- Knit 4 rows of MC, 1 row of CC in stockinette stitch;
--> If you knit this on straights you will find that sometimes when you want to change colours, your ball of yarn is on the 'wrong' side of the needle. When that happens, simply slip all stitches onto the other needle WITHOUT KNITTING, turn your work and continue in the appropriate colour. That way the yarn will alternately be carried up either side of your work, and you won't have to weave in any loose ends.
--> If you knit on dpns or circs you can simply turn your work and continue knitting from that side when you find your thread to be on the 'wrong' side of your work. The effect will be the same.
- Knit your last row in MC and bind off LOSELY in CC;
- Et voil!

Blocking:
To block, wet your piece slightly (I used a spray bottle). Stretch out your shawl diagonally until all the stitches are nicely stretched out and even looking. Lay flat on a towel and pull lightly at the ends of each bulky stripe to line them up and straighten them out nicely. Allow to dry. Wear with appropriate pride and pizzazz.

Princess Jazz:
I used a skein of kid-type mohair I found in a bargain bin. I am assuming it was a Rowan yarn, but it came without a label. The white yarn was some leftover extra bulky yarn I found in the same bin. I'm sorry I can't be more specific.

Carina:
The edges do curl up a bit, especially when the scarf is stretched out lengthwise. I kind of like it, because it hides the places where the yarn was carried up the sides. Blocking does make the rolling a little less, so I would advise you to give it a go. It really isn't hard. Just make sure you don't overwet or overblock, because that would take the texture out of your scarf. Just wet lightly with a spraybottle and don't press down on the bulky bits too much and you should be fine.

Miss Cross and linda63pt:
If you decide to take up the glorious art of drunken knitting (and an art it is!), this is definately the pattern to start with. 'S Blurry eazzy, har har! Cheers, and happy knitting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Xiuxiu
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2005 09:38:33 AM »

Thanks for the pattern.
I have a question though: so, you carry the bulky yarn at the side too or just the mohair?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sooz
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2005 09:43:32 AM »

Xiuxiu, you carry both the bulky and the mohair up the sides.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
woolgathered
Sp-diddly-inner

woolgathered.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2005 03:45:35 PM »

Oh, this would be a great pattern for people who buy handspun bulky yarn (a lot of sellers sell only like 50 to 100 yards of one of a kind yarn)!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stress-Free Holiday Desserts
How to Make a Caramel Apple Sundae in an Apple Bowl
Glamorous Gingerbread Cupcakes for the Holidays
How to Make Jamaretti Cookies
How to Make Wine-Poached Pears
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...