A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,033
Currently Running With Scissors:
563 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Joann roving??  (Read 3725 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eternalsunshine
« on: October 14, 2008 11:00:18 AM »

Has anyone tried this besides me?? I am a brand new spinner and was needing a roving fix before some that I ordered came in the mail. So...I went to Joann and bought some of the little bags of roving they had and tried to spin it. I dont know if Im doing something wrong or what, but this stuff is so fuzzy, its almost like frizzy hair!!! I just got fed up and quit because this stuff wasnt looking anything like yarn. On top of that it was a bit pricey, $4 for 1.4 oz. Anyone else??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kanhoro

Xander of Wolven-Knit~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008 03:50:16 PM »

just a quick comment, the joanns where i am living at, they had a small bag of roving into balls and things, and it said felting roving or something and it said to buy it somewhere else or maybe i read it wrong and it said the place it was also selling at, anyways. i also bought something similar to the felting wool online when i bought my spindolyn and tried it, it was pretty frizzy and dry like, compared to the other wool i have now. most of the time felting wool is  abit fuzzier so it can  felt better, but thats just me. hope you find your answer!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whileddeer
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008 11:21:34 AM »

the joann roving is meant for needle felting. i think it is on the low-quality end and wouldn't be good for spinning. i think it has pretty short fibers, too. so if you're new, it's especially frustrating. good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eternalsunshine
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008 03:38:58 PM »

Well, it sounds like at least it wasnt my poor spinning! lol! I took the other pouch of it back today. It didnt say for felting but I'll bet that was the case. Thanks everyone Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008 09:21:55 PM »

I did not buy it at Joann's, but I bought a package of felting roving in 6 colors at Hobby Lobby, and it sounds like similar stuff.  I needed fiber because I had an unexpected plane ride the week after my first spinning class, where I got my awesome, but heavy, drop spindle, and that was all I could find on such short notice.  It was pretty fuzzy, but I didn't have a lot of basis for comparison, so I didn't really notice, I guess.  It spun up into a nice, heavy patchwork type yarn, and I'm going to make mittens for my daughter.  It isn't high quality roving.  Nothing like I've used since.  But it did make a good, sturdy, colorful and warm yarn.  I wouldn't want to spin it on my wheel though.  It was definitely too fuzzy for that, or I'm not coordinated enough yet on the wheel.  But it did well on the drop spindle.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008 09:22:36 PM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008 03:47:44 AM »

I bet it would be fine mixed with some good wool  to make an interesting colorway - add in an overdye of something (say the colors you got were strong reds, blues and purple and you went over it with a pale pink after it's plied)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'www.rattleheadgames.com') - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
spinnermom
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009 12:02:51 PM »

Felting wool can be from some of the meat sheep, and the wool isn't really great for spinning.  I did take some of my felting wool and mix little blobs of it in with some lemon lime koolaid wool I had dyed for spinning.  I intentionally left little chunks and bits.  I plied it with a plain green strand.  The yarn was so funky looking, and made the cutest little fingerless gloves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009 02:10:54 PM »

hey!!  wait a minute!! Smiley  I love spinning the wool from traditional meat breeds.  The staple is a bit shorter, but it usually felts less and is wonderful for stocks & mittens!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
spinnermom
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009 07:56:56 PM »

Maybe I am wrong about the meat breads, I just read it somewhere, lol.  My aunt has a bunch of babydoll sheep (Southdown) and felting with it was nearly impossibe if you wanted a firm felted item like I did.  I can't imagine spinning with it either because the fiber though very soft, is really short. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009 07:01:45 AM »

The down breeds (usually meat breeds) have shorter staples that are very soft.  You need a bit more twist in the shorter stapled fibers to hold the yarn together (think cotton & flax), but they make wonderful yarns!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Fish Braid
How to Make a Hair Bump Part 1/2
How to Grow Out a Bad Haircut
How to Get Volume
How to French Braid Hair
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...