A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,083
Currently Running With Scissors:
562 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Joann roving??  (Read 3368 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eternalsunshine
« on: October 14, 2008 11:00:18 AM »

Has anyone tried this besides me?? I am a brand new spinner and was needing a roving fix before some that I ordered came in the mail. So...I went to Joann and bought some of the little bags of roving they had and tried to spin it. I dont know if Im doing something wrong or what, but this stuff is so fuzzy, its almost like frizzy hair!!! I just got fed up and quit because this stuff wasnt looking anything like yarn. On top of that it was a bit pricey, $4 for 1.4 oz. Anyone else??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kanhoro

Xander of Wolven-Knit~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008 03:50:16 PM »

just a quick comment, the joanns where i am living at, they had a small bag of roving into balls and things, and it said felting roving or something and it said to buy it somewhere else or maybe i read it wrong and it said the place it was also selling at, anyways. i also bought something similar to the felting wool online when i bought my spindolyn and tried it, it was pretty frizzy and dry like, compared to the other wool i have now. most of the time felting wool is  abit fuzzier so it can  felt better, but thats just me. hope you find your answer!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whileddeer
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008 11:21:34 AM »

the joann roving is meant for needle felting. i think it is on the low-quality end and wouldn't be good for spinning. i think it has pretty short fibers, too. so if you're new, it's especially frustrating. good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eternalsunshine
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008 03:38:58 PM »

Well, it sounds like at least it wasnt my poor spinning! lol! I took the other pouch of it back today. It didnt say for felting but I'll bet that was the case. Thanks everyone Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008 09:21:55 PM »

I did not buy it at Joann's, but I bought a package of felting roving in 6 colors at Hobby Lobby, and it sounds like similar stuff.  I needed fiber because I had an unexpected plane ride the week after my first spinning class, where I got my awesome, but heavy, drop spindle, and that was all I could find on such short notice.  It was pretty fuzzy, but I didn't have a lot of basis for comparison, so I didn't really notice, I guess.  It spun up into a nice, heavy patchwork type yarn, and I'm going to make mittens for my daughter.  It isn't high quality roving.  Nothing like I've used since.  But it did make a good, sturdy, colorful and warm yarn.  I wouldn't want to spin it on my wheel though.  It was definitely too fuzzy for that, or I'm not coordinated enough yet on the wheel.  But it did well on the drop spindle.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008 09:22:36 PM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008 03:47:44 AM »

I bet it would be fine mixed with some good wool  to make an interesting colorway - add in an overdye of something (say the colors you got were strong reds, blues and purple and you went over it with a pale pink after it's plied)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames .com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
spinnermom
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009 12:02:51 PM »

Felting wool can be from some of the meat sheep, and the wool isn't really great for spinning.  I did take some of my felting wool and mix little blobs of it in with some lemon lime koolaid wool I had dyed for spinning.  I intentionally left little chunks and bits.  I plied it with a plain green strand.  The yarn was so funky looking, and made the cutest little fingerless gloves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009 02:10:54 PM »

hey!!  wait a minute!! Smiley  I love spinning the wool from traditional meat breeds.  The staple is a bit shorter, but it usually felts less and is wonderful for stocks & mittens!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
spinnermom
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009 07:56:56 PM »

Maybe I am wrong about the meat breads, I just read it somewhere, lol.  My aunt has a bunch of babydoll sheep (Southdown) and felting with it was nearly impossibe if you wanted a firm felted item like I did.  I can't imagine spinning with it either because the fiber though very soft, is really short. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009 07:01:45 AM »

The down breeds (usually meat breeds) have shorter staples that are very soft.  You need a bit more twist in the shorter stapled fibers to hold the yarn together (think cotton & flax), but they make wonderful yarns!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

oddacity
That's what she said.

Sometimes I make things.

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009 06:19:44 PM »

I just bought some of this stuff to practice on as I JUST got my drop spindle kit and am terrified of ruining my roving that came with it (I don't have a whole lot of money to waste on practicing...so I want it to COUNT when I use it). However, now I am torn. I know obviously I've just started so my stuff is going to be far from perfect. Still, I am having LOTS of trouble drafting and can't tell if it's because a) the roving sucks or b) I'm new and haven't gotten the hang of it yet.

I would like it if the roving just sucked...because I want to try on the Corridale that came with my kit but again, I don't want to waste it. Anybody have any more advice on the Joann stuff (which is by Clover)?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009 06:20:11 PM by oddacity » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist: here
Blog: Oh, Purl-ease.

I love all things shiny, glittery, and colorful.

I say yes to ATC trades!

I hang out in: Knitting, Crochet, Fiber Arts, and the Swap Board!
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009 06:01:13 AM »

I've never used the roving from Joanns (nor ever saw it except from the url you posted).  My impression of the roving is it was meant to be used more with felting than spinning.  Yes, you can probably spin with it, but as you are finding out, it doesn't draft too well.  (and at the price of that roving, $13 for 2 oz!!!  Yikes that's high!)

Tell you what I would do.  Take a small piece of the Joann roving, holding your hands at least 6" apart, draft it until it separates.  Now with one hand at the end, place your other hand 5" apart and draft until it separates.  What you want to be looking for is the length of the staple (length of singer fiber).  If this length is less than 4", put it aside and work with the Corrie.

Actually, I'd probably put the felting roving away and work with the Corrie anyway, as Corriedale is my favorite of favorite fibers.

Tear the Corrie roving in about 12" lengths, now split it into 3 or 4 sections lengthwise, then split each of those again.  Draft those sections.

I think you'll have an easier time with it.  Don't worry about 'wasting' it.  First spun yarns .... :sigh: ... if you knew how much longer it takes me & how much concentrate I put in to spin a yarn that is fat and thin and slubby and over/under twisted .....

And what ever you do, DON'T discard your first hand spuns!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

oddacity
That's what she said.

Sometimes I make things.

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009 08:38:38 AM »

Yeah, I'm just going to go ahead and work with the Corrie and pre-draft it instead of trying to do it as I go along. I think that'll be better for me starting out.

I think I did manage to do a whole pack of the .7oz Joann stuff last night, after the disasterous attempt on the first pack...I set the twist last night so I'm going to try to work with it today and see how it is! It seems okay so far...I had a bit of trouble joining ends but other than that it seems strong enough.

Shan't be working with it again, though. Unless for some strange reason I just feel like it, heh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I say yes to ATC trades!

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009 08:52:34 AM »

If you like the color of the Joann's, why not go for a real 'artsy' yarn and tuck itty bitty pieces of it here and there throughout your Corrie.  I really looks cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

oddacity
That's what she said.

Sometimes I make things.

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009 09:01:04 AM »

I was thinking about that! I'm definitely going to try it at some point.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I say yes to ATC trades!

SewMamaLady

I heart handmade!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2009 05:05:39 PM »

I know this thread was last commented in last month but I'm throwing my two cents in anyway.  Grin

I just started spinning this past week and I've gone through everything I got from STS.  Roll Eyes I had gone out and bought a bag of the different colored rovings from Hobby Lobby and everything I did with the first few bits of it was horrible. Then I got out the wool that I'd been sent and it was totally different. I'm having better luck now with the cheap Hobby Lobby stuff just by practicing with the better quality wool. Last night I was able to get a fairly even yarn when I couldn't a few nights before. It's pretty scratchy but it would be neat felted.

This is a ball of the blue wool that came in the Hobby Lobby package.

I called Joann's because I'm waiting for my sheep shed studio order to come in and I'm having to ration what wool I have left until it gets here. I asked the girl if they carried wool for spinning, not just felting. She took forever to come back and said, "Well someone told me yes and someone told me no, so I don't know." I told her, "I'm driving from 20 minutes away and I don't think I'm going to come unless you know for sure. So she came back and said yes they did. I knew that they wouldn't but I went anyway. Those packages were .7 ounces for $3.99. I decided that I would be better off fiending than to spend it. BUT I thought it looked like you could probably spin it if you didn't mind spending an arm and a leg out of sheer convenience. Little bits of it mixed in with the good stuff would be cool for color.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009 05:06:54 PM by SewMamaLady » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homespun gifts for your friends and family!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/shallwespinmydear
Will be posting more items soon. Check back!
SpecialKRJ

I want so much more than they've got planned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009 04:04:19 AM »

Those little bags are all that I've been spinning since I made my spindle. I checked Michael's, JoAnn's, and Hobby Lobby. Nothing for spinning. I will say that the yarn I've made from this stuff is undesirable, but I'm also sure that the roving isn't totally to blame for that Tongue

Anyone know what the roving is? All the bag says on it is 'wool'. I'm curious.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kwicz
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009 05:59:59 PM »

The wool in those packages is probably mixed from so many sources they can't keep track. I have gotten packages that drafted more smoothly than the Romney I've been working with, and packages that drafted like they were already felted. I bought them with 40% off coupons (and one package on clearance marked down 60%!) so the price wasn't that outrageous to me, and it was worth it to see if I could work with the wool after discovering that I'm allergic to raw wool and certain commercial wool dyes and treatments. I even knitted a pair of socks from that wool, and while it is more scratchy than the Romney, it's still pretty comfy and I've even washed them in the machine with only mild fulling.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ChemicalEmily

Don't let the man get you down.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2009 03:36:55 AM »

I also tried spinning with the packages of multi colored craft store wool back when I started on my drop spindle. For me, it was horrible, and I of course later discovered it was meant to be used with needle felting. I ended up putting mine aside and using it when i got my hand carders to make my first kind of 'weird' yarn.

This whole thread has reminded me how AWESOME it would be if craft stores sold spinning fiber. Droooooooll. Heck, I'd be happy if any of my three LYS's did. I shouldn't complain. I'm in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I feel blessed to have three!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I look forward to continued immaturity followed by death."
- Dave Barry
My blog: http://unspunemily.livejournal.com
SpecialKRJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2009 04:58:52 PM »

We should start writing to the craft stores about it. If they realize they've got a market for it, maybe they'll start stocking the good stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpecialKRJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2009 10:17:32 PM »

Well, I've just written JoAnn's an email. I'll probably copy and paste it to Michael's and Hobby Lobby soon, though obviously I'll replace 'JoAnn's' with their respective store names. Tongue

"Of all the craft stores that I've visited, I love JoAnn's the most. I have only one small complaint. While I can find some wool roving in the store and on the website for needle felting, it's only in small amounts. I don't felt, but I do spin. If JoAnn's carried spinning supplies, I would just die of happiness. As it is now, spinners in my area have to order our spinning material online, and while we love to look at all the fiber there is out there, we're in agreement that it would be much better to have someplace nearby to go when we need our fiber fix. I've found spinning books at JoAnn's before, and whenever I find a new one I grab it as quick as I can, since I'm very unlikely to see one in a bookstore. Why not broaden your customer base by including supplies for spinners?"

The 'spinners in my area' part is basically me and me. Because I don't know any other spinners in my area. Tongue But they don't have to know that, because there may very well be others who feel the same way! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2009 05:49:21 AM »

Then what will happen to all the crafty folks that sell their own roving??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

SpecialKRJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2009 04:14:26 PM »

Mass-produced JoAnn's roving isn't very good, as we've seen, and it's also overpriced. The only thing that would really change is that spinners who are running low or out of fiber can pick up some to tide them over. Like if you're running low on French champagne so you run out to grab a beer.

And they prob'ly won't listen to me anyway. XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KeepingInTouch
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2011 10:52:08 AM »

Have any of you tried the Bernat Felting Natural Wool. It is less expensive. And it is a lot like pencil roving with more twist. With a little untwisting and a pull it pre-drafts nicely. Just an idea.
Karla newbie spinner but long time yarn hoarder  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Custom Shapes Part 2/2 - Apple Color
How to Build Custom Color Looks - Apple Color
How to Use Final Cut Pro Part 1/4
How to Make a Particle Explosion Part 1/2 - Houdini Particles
How to Use Final Cut Pro Part 2/4
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...