A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October 5th News Announcement:  New Featured Projects posted!  Congratulate these artists for being selected!
Total Members: 308,413
Currently Running With Scissors:
475 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crocheting a Circle--Help! (Problem With the Mechanics!!)  (Read 1171 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: March 02, 2005 09:52:22 AM »

Hi, everyone!

I'm having trouble understanding exactly what I'm doing when I crochet in the round.  When joining each round, you need to do a slip stitch.  Then at the beginning of the next round, you chain 1.  But how do you keep from getting a extra stitch from that chained stitch when you come back around? Wjy do you need to chain 1 at the beginning?  Why can't you just close with a slip stitch and start from there?

Please help!!!

0.5 second attention sp-

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005 10:34:13 AM »

Ch1 represents the first stitch, since you're starting from yarn at the base of the row rather than the top. When starting a new row, skip the first stitch as the ch1 (or 2 or 3 in some cases) is supposed to substitute the first stitch.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005 10:58:52 AM »

Okay.  Thanks.  So, just to clarify, you skip the stitch directly to the left of the chain stitch?

we are ugly but we have the music

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005 04:29:57 PM »

nope, skip the chain 1.

there are two ways to do close rounds (or turn for that matter) and it depends on you Smiley 
i'll just talk about in the round, but you can apply the same idea to working rows.
1. the way you are trying to do it:  do join with a slip stitch.  then chain one.  then single crochet into the same space as the chain one.  when you come around to this spot again, skip your chain one and slip stitch into the single crochet to start over again.  this way means that your chain one is simply to give you a little height to start the next row and it never counts as a real 'stitch.'

2. the other way:  you can count your chain as a real stitch, but this means that you don't single crochet in the same stitch and you just skip to what would be the second single crochet in the above way.  this is not a great idea for single crochet, but works fine if you are double or triple crocheting.  in this case your chain is real and you should treat it as the first stitch of each round (or row). 

as long as you are consistant with your way you won't be adding rows, just pick one and go with it!  but i do recommend number one for single crochet because you don't want to have a little hole due to the relative whimpy-ness of the chain! Smiley
« Last Edit: March 02, 2005 04:32:40 PM by mikan » THIS ROCKS   Logged

now, whether in punishment or reward, through all eternity, she must love and believe in what she did not understand.  -dennison
Her Majesty...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005 05:46:39 PM »

i've been apprehensive of crocheting in the round b/c i always lose my spot for the new row....

or it looks funny w/ the chain one...hmmm...

i really want to make nice hats crocheted in the round with stripes that line up and dont look stupid (unaligned)

so far i've been making those thick and warm hats from geek magnet's pattern (which turn out fabulous! even with just one strand of yarn, and using sc the whole time!)

www.geocities.com/cabanird<br />Henna Rocks! Smiley
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005 05:53:36 PM »

milkan-- Thank you SO much for clarifying! I started a thread with the same question and there were contradictory answers.  I never knew which was the right way to do it. Thank you so much for acknowledging there are two different ways of beginning and ending the round. This definitely helps!
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005 11:55:17 AM »

Thanks!  I was doing it the way you described in example 2 last night and was wondering about the holes.

I'll try using the first method you suggested and see how it looks!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mermaid Tail Blanket
October 19, 2016 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Vanilla Extract

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...