A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,706
Currently Running With Scissors:
657 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Natural room freshener spray that's safe for cats?  (Read 1336 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Magic8
« on: November 15, 2008 05:00:56 PM »

Hi everyone -

Can anyone tell me how to make a natural room spray that doesn't use essential oils that could harm my cats?  I'm not sure how to make a hydrosol - and would it be strong enough anyway?

Any ideas would be very welcome - thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kiewiet
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008 06:55:05 PM »

The best air freshenener is to open the windows every day. I know that is not always possible and I use a blend of catmint or rose geranium in water with a dash of vinegar added. Vinegar will neutralise almost any smell - it even makes the litter tray smell fresh Shocked. (An added bonus is that it is a disinfectant). Lavender, rose and sandalwood also smells nice and is harmless to kitties.
when my cats were small and the odd accident happened I use bicarbonate of soda with a few drops of lavender to sprinlke on the carpet before vacuuming. We have never had any cat smells indoors as a result
I only use a few drops eo in a vaporiser bottle and it works a charm
My cats are not crazy catmint lovers so it doesn't make them dopey but I would suggest checking how your cats react to catnip. You dont want them "high" all the time, much as they would like it Cheesy

Avoid citrus smells especially lemon and strong smells like pine. (Lemon is useful if you have to repel other cats from the door though Cheesy)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Magic8
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008 07:28:13 PM »

Thank you, those are great suggestions Smiley

I open the windows, so smells are not really an issue - I'd just like some nice smells for the house without using commercial or harmful ones... I'm always a bit wary in case they're not safe for the kitties.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kiewiet
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008 09:10:32 PM »

You are welcome. I know how you feel about safety. I have tropical fish and a lizard as well as the cat to worry about and I must admit I nowadays live in a much healthier home as I have tried to eliminate most nasties. We also have found we have less headaches and hayfever. When I visit peoples homes where they use commercial stuff I always get home with a headache!
My hubby though insists the only airfreshener smell that is good, is the smell of home baking Cheesy and fresh coffee, together Cheesy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Magic8
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008 09:21:55 AM »

Ooooh yes - I'd have to agree with him there Cheesy

I always find myself sneezing and coughing when I walk down the aisle in the supermarket with all the air 'fresheners' and cleaning products, can't believe I never noticed it before I stopped using them  Undecided

What kind of tropical fish do you have?  My Dad used to have a small tank years ago, we loved them, those little glowy neons were my favourite Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kiewiet
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008 09:54:59 PM »

I have Blue rams, Congo tetras, kuhli loaches(about 50!),java loaches, clown loaches, bristlenose catfish, Plecos and tiger barbs spread out between various tanks.I got rid of a lot as I had to have termite treatment in my home and I gave some away rather than trying to keep 5 tanks outside for days in 47C!. I really felt it would be kinder to them but I do miss the little fellows.What do you have?
I also love neons but could never get them to breed Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sporadic
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008 02:21:27 PM »

Rather than a spray to freshen the room, I would use an air filtration system to clean the air.  Ones with a HEPA filter are great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kiewiet
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008 04:52:11 PM »

We use an air filtration (live in a very dusty area) but sometimes my heart just wants to smell flowers Wink which is why I use the odd spray -that and when uncle henry has been in the bathroom Shocked. Although I must say striking a match there helps too Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Magic8
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008 11:46:08 PM »

Loaches - I loved those guys Cheesy  We had a good few of those... Our tank is long gone, but we used to have lots of different types... guppies, scissors fish, harlequins, angel fish, neons, a tiny african tree frog, had some japanese fighter fish but it was too much bother trying to keep them separate from the rest.... we had an albino catfish and a regular catfish too, they were really cool Smiley

Yes, an air filtration system is on my wishlist.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

auroravioletta
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008 07:47:57 PM »

Buy a bottle of rosewater! Usually you can find it in "ethnic" sections at the grocery store. I think it tends to be used in middle-eastern cooking? Maybe? I don't cook so I don't know.

Anyway, the rosewater from the grocery store is inexpensive, and it smells great. Just put it in a spritzer bottle and spray it around. Or, it's great in those tea-light diffusers. (Those fancy candle-holders ones where there's a little bowl suspended above a place for a tealight.)

You can also sometimes find orange-flower or lavender water.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

......................................I like bunnies!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Look Beautifully Barefaced
Best Holiday Nail Polishes
3 Holiday Inspired DIY Beauty Treatments
Stars Shine Bright at the Diamond Ball
NYE Makeup Tutorial With MakeUpbyLilit
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...