A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 304,765
Currently Running With Scissors:
746 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My mixed media final project *img heavy*  (Read 841 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tighttights
*~*Tight Tights!*~*

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2008 10:05:40 PM »

So this summer I took a mixed media class and for my final project I wanted to ask the question, "Is it art?"

I believe that art is defined differently by every person.  What is art to one may not be art to another.  So I took images from a high fashion magazine and printed them onto fabric.  I then made a dress and got a friend of mine to wear it to the local bar and I asked people there, "Is the dress art?" and recorded their answers.  I only allowed people to answer yes or no because I knew that with me, the artist, sanding there they wouldnt want to hurt my feelings by just plan saying no...they would want to explain (people can be so nice but i needed real answers  Cheesy )

Anyway in my class we talked about how if the dress was displayed in the on campus art gallery that most people would just accept it as art and not question it.  That is why I took it out to the bar so that I could get answers from people who werent art students and who wouldnt really be influenced by where the dress was. 

I got a lot of yes's which kinda surprised me (I thought all the dunk people wouldbe more of a 'no' crowd lol) but it was soo much fun having to ask all the people.

Any-hoo sorry for rambling on and on...its what I do   Wink  But here are some pictures of my dress I made...

This is the front of the dress:

This is a close up of the front top:

This is a close up of the front bottom:

This is the sides:

Im a graphic designer and not a great sewer so excuse the bad job on making the dress...and my messy dorm room Grin

I would love to know what you guys think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dinosaurus Meg

I wish I was a wolpertinger.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008 10:13:31 PM »

This sounds like it was a really neat experiment. I like it, personally. Art is an odd thing, like you said, and high fashion can be so tacky Tongue

I like that you took it out of context to see what people really think without being told that it was an artwork from the beginning. I hope you got a good mark in your class Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hey Fiber People: I am very interested in personal swaps for painted/dyed roving or top. I can swap supplies or crafted items. Let's talk!

Every body wants a rock to wind a piece of string around.
Hearts Need A Beat
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008 11:35:31 PM »

This is amazing. I agree that the bar was a great idea. Awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Attention college kids, stay at home moms, and anyone else who could stand to make a little easy extra money:
PM me about ChaCha. I swear, it's not an ad. I just saved myself on bills with this, and thought I'd try & help =]

Obama/Biden 2008!
octarine7
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008 10:03:26 AM »

I think it's brilliant! I'd wear it in a heartbeat. Very cool idea...I'm going to see what I can do with it. And your idea of the getting honest and unbiased data was inspired. Great job and I hope your grade reflects it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tighttights
*~*Tight Tights!*~*

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008 10:59:24 AM »

Thanks soo much!! I am so glad ya'll liked it! I had so much fun doing it and it makes me smile that people are seeing and liking my art  Cheesy

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Shooting Into the Sun
Multiple Exposure Settings: Create Movement
How to Use a Lens Shade
Formatting Media Cards
How to Get a Model Release
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...