A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,604
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Barbs Party Slippers (now with pattern and semi tut)  (Read 2293 times)
Tags for this thread: slippers , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Cabin Fever
« on: October 13, 2008 04:40:03 PM »

My good friend, Barb, knits and thinks crochet is too hard, I think knitting is too hard! She didn't know that you can do cables in crochet, so I had to show her by making her a pair of slippers with cables, in her color (pink) of course!

I lined the inside sole with fleece, so they are nice and comfy.

***I've never written a pattern before, except notes for myself.  If there are mistakes or questions please let me know and I will (try) to fix them.  Here ya go:

Womens size 7 1/2 -8
Size J hook, red heart super saver yarn

Sole:  Chain 21, sc down and around back of chain to beginning, keep working around for 7-9 rows (or to get to desired size) Add an extra 1-3 scs on each end to keep it flat.  If sole ends up too wide and too short for your foot, start over with a longer chain.  I cut out and sew a fleece bottom to the inside (wrong side) of sole. If you do, make sure you leave the last row of stitches open.

Top (working from the top of the toes toward ankle):
Row 1:  Chain 14, dc in 4th chain from end (this counts as 1st dc), and in every chain, for 12 dcs across.  Chain 3, turn.
Row 2: fpdc (front post double crochet) in next 3 dcs, bpdc (back post double crochet) in next 4 dcs, fpdc in last 4 dcs. Chain 3, turn.
Row 3: bpdc in next 3 dcs, skip next 2 dcs and fpdc in 3rd and 4th dc, then go back and fpdc in 1st and 2nd dcs that were skipped. Bpdc in last 4 dcs. Chain 3, turn.

(shows fpdc in 3rd and 4th dc)

(shows going back and putting fpdc in 1st and 2nd dc)
Row 4: fpdc in next 3 dcs, bpdc in next 4 dcs (these will be scrunched together due to the cross over, just separated them to find the right ones), fpdc in last 4 dcs.
Row 5: bpdc in next 3 dcs, fpdc in next 4 dcs, bpdc in last 4 dcs. Chain 3, turn.
Row 6: Repeat row 4
Row 7: Repeat row 3
Row 8: Repeat row 4
Row 9: Repeat row 5
Row 10: Repeat row 4
Row 11: Repeat row 3
Row 12: Repeat row 4
This completes the top, do not end.

Sides and heal: 
Chain 22 and attach to other side of top with slip stitch, opposite of beginning of chain. (lengthen or shorten chain according to fit).

Row 1: With front side facing you, sc down top and all the way around (including chain) putting 2 scs in corners of toes. ( I ended up with about 20 scs on each side, not counting the heel). Slip stitch when you get to beginning. Chain one.

Row 2-3: sc all the way around in the back stitch of sc only.

Check here for fit against the sole for fit. Mine were a little big so on the 4th row I decreased scs, about 1 per side. After the 4th row you can end or make a big loop and start from there when you secure to sole.

Attach to Sole:

Pin top to sole, wrong sides together,  starting with a pin at the toes and heel to make it even.  Slip stitch around. You can end here or add a cuff. 

Cuff:

Attach yarn where the heel and top join. Sc around back of heel in back stitches only, work around back of heel to top (do not work across the top yet), slip stitch into top, chain one, turn and sc back along heel in back stitch only, this time go all the way around across the top, ending where you started.  Chain 2 (turn ?) This is a good time to try on and see if the heel is too loose)

Working back across the top (clockwise) dc in all the scs (decrease in heel if needed) all the way around, you want an even number of dcs. I decrease randomly until I have 30 all the way around.  Join at the top of your chain 2 with slip stitch. Chain 2 (counts as your 1st dc)

Row 2: fpdc in next dc, bpdc in next dc, fpdc in next dc, switching back and forth all the way around. Join with slip stitch. Chain 2.

Row 3: fpdc in next fpdc, bpdc in next, etc, working your way around so you have the front posts in the front posts and back posts in the back posts. Slip stitch to join.

Let me know if you have problems!  I'd love to see your finished product too!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008 07:30:44 PM by Cabin Fever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bnyce126
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008 04:42:02 PM »

very nice, something my roomie needs because she is always cold
THIS ROCKS   Logged
allthingspink
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008 04:47:47 PM »

very cute.  Do you have a pattern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If God really loved us, our saliva would taste like chocolate.
jennyleigh

So many projects. So little time.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008 04:50:07 PM »

Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
saxonsweetie
Can't talk... craftsturbating...

A Heathen Honey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008 04:56:54 PM »

I agree with you... crocheting is MUCH easier! I've never tried making cables though. Those slippers are super cute! You did a great job. They look comfy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

$4.95 Flat Rate Box Swap-I'm stuffing my boxes!

Fall Scarf Swap-Done!

Cat Lovers Swap- Please sign up! It will be tons of fun! Sign ups until Nov 20th. Send outs Jan 15th!!!!!
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008 06:54:10 PM »

These are great. Can you give any more details? Yarn used? Were they difficult?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cabin Fever
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008 07:18:00 PM »

Thanks everyone!  The pattern is in my head...........this was the first pair I've made, but they are really comfy so I'll be making more and I'll try to write down what I do.....Yarn, tough one,  it was in my stash of yarn with no label, I think it is just a sport weight blend, nothing fancy.  These are made in 2 (3?) parts. Make the soul, then the top portion with the cable, then the sides. If you've never done cables I think this might be a hard 1st project trying to learn them, but once you get cables they are really easy.  There is a hat with cables on this forum that would be easier to try them 1st on. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

playswithneedles

find your balance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008 11:55:09 AM »

Those are great, and look so comfy. I will have to learn that stitch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crochet therapy:

50+ washcloths-along -17/50
Very soon I'm going to graduate to shawls and sweaters!
teddi85
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008 06:26:36 AM »

I think these are great!! I would love to have a tut...maybe. I've tried in the past to do cables, just tried to make them up as I went along just from what I know in my limited knowledge of crochet...but have failed miserably each time.... Undecided  They just end up looking like a giant knot...or I lose where I was...that happens more often...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'd rather do it full-tilt for a little while than half-way forever. -Janis Joplin
Cabin Fever
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008 10:14:56 AM »

I'm working on a pattern, with pictures, it should be done today sometime.  Cables can get tricky, but if you know how to do front and back posts it's not too bad. They do get all jumbled up together sometimes and you have to separate them then you make the cross over, I'll have pictures of that part.  And would love to help anyone who needs it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FarahAbood
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008 06:53:56 AM »

It's nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

saxonsweetie
Can't talk... craftsturbating...

A Heathen Honey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008 02:25:56 PM »

Thank you so much for the tut! Since it finally got cold today... I'm going to get started RIGHT NOW!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

$4.95 Flat Rate Box Swap-I'm stuffing my boxes!

Fall Scarf Swap-Done!

Cat Lovers Swap- Please sign up! It will be tons of fun! Sign ups until Nov 20th. Send outs Jan 15th!!!!!
Cabin Fever
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008 03:08:16 PM »

I'd love to see a picture of them when you are done, it would be good to know if anyone can follow my directions or just me Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Great Look
Do I Need Professional Design Help
How to Decorate a Half Bath
How to Decorate with Collections
How Does American Design Compare European
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...