A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,040
Currently Running With Scissors:
732 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: tired of the sexy-everything costumes?  (Read 33186 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Dree

My grandma's work from 1980 :>

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2008 08:25:46 AM »

I love this thread!  I haven't had time to read the whole thing, but I will.  StixandStones, your comment about "us crafters got to stick together" and your own personal Halloween justice system with the candy crack me up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love wins. 

(points to the peeps who know the origin of this claim. ;> )
Novenastar
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2008 09:31:13 AM »

There was a commercial for I think it was Walmart or something, and they said "We have costumes for your kids - they can be batman - or snow white."

What? You mean if I'm a girl, I *have* to be a floofy princess? Nuts to that! Give me Maleficent at least if you're going to Disney-fy me.

Ditto with the sexy costumes. You mean on halloween I *have* to dress like a whore? I mean - if I *want* to dress like a hooker, then I'm more than happy to do it. But if I don't feel like freezing my ass off in fishnets and badly fitted vinyl, why should I have to?

Oh well, that's what DIY is for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Osiris Cultist: Ohh. Fill the Jackal's head with OIL. Now it makes sense! At first I thought you said scalding hot 'voile'.
Osiris High Priest: What the hell is voile?
Osiris C.: It's a soft, sheer fabric. I warmed some up in the dryer.
Osiris HP: What kind of torture is that!?!
- Venture Bros.
Dree

My grandma's work from 1980 :>

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2008 02:49:28 PM »

I don't think people are hating on sexy so much as hating on the sexualization of girls.  And little girls don't need to be exploring their sexuality.  Some things are taboo for a reason.

I think this is a great discussion and a thread full of fabulous comments.  I blogged it and quote StixandStones and MandyLikesPie.

http://thingsbright.blogspot.com/2008/10/halloween-ranting.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love wins. 

(points to the peeps who know the origin of this claim. ;> )
MandyLikesPie
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2008 03:27:11 PM »

I don't think people are hating on sexy so much as hating on the sexualization of girls.  And little girls don't need to be exploring their sexuality.  Some things are taboo for a reason.

I think this is a great discussion and a thread full of fabulous comments.  I blogged it and quote StixandStones and MandyLikesPie.

http://thingsbright.blogspot.com/2008/10/halloween-ranting.html

Aw, thanks for quoting me! I'm glad my comment resonated with you.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ezmerelda_smith
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2008 04:16:32 PM »

I don't mind the sexy costumes, but it seems every year the stores are stocking fewer alternatives.  Sexy costumes are great when it's appropriate for the concept.  The Bettie Page nearly got me, naughty nurse/teacher/etc and other fantasies can be funny for the cheese factor.  Sexy Queen Elizabeth is a bit ridiculous.  It is also a little insulting to see traditional clothing made into ho-wear (can't believe someone felt the need to ho up the dirndl).  Overall, it just exhausts the sexy theme.  You can be sexy without your T+A out for all to see.  Look at 60's cat woman!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IamSusie
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2008 05:00:16 PM »

I have to say that today I went to the local party store and saw some Hannah Montana outfits, but otherwise the costume choices were all pretty tame.  I loved the big yellow mustard squirt bottle costume for a medium sized kid. 

I got my daughter a mouse nose and my son a fake mustache.  Son is going to go as a mortgage broker offering variable rate mortgages in exchange for candy.  Either that or 1970's Burt Renyolds.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2008 05:07:52 PM »

Wow can I relate, I hate those costumes soooo much, one year I dressed up as the grim reaper (not sexy reaper, scary reaper) and only danced with girls ( I asked with the reaper like finger curl) they all thought I was a guy until I took off the robe hahahahahahah!  they all crapped their pants!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IamSusie
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2008 09:16:20 PM »

Huh  Who called you a "ho bag"  Huh?? 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

kishcrafts
I can make almost anything out of polymer clay! :P

me and Kellan Lutz!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2008 09:34:50 PM »

to each his or her own opinion. no one should have to feel bad or apologize for the way they feel or for what they think. no one directly called you anything, so for you to take offense is ridiculous. you wear what you want and we will all feel how we do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I still sell my clay crafts...email me if you are interested in ordering something. kishcrafts@gmail.com
cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2008 09:21:22 AM »

Ho-bag outfits for young girls are just wrong and if adult women want to objectify themselves they can go the hell ahead but why are the rest of us presented with ONLY the whore option- I for one am not interested!

Heres an idea someone could wear skimpy grey clothing spray their hair grey and go as an ash-ho read it out loud a coupla times you'll laugh!

Edited cause previous comment I was replying to has been removed and I sounded like I was insane or something!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009 09:17:59 AM by cataway » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Wedding Pomander
How to Make Edible Halloween Decor
How to Make Hand Crafted Glitter Pumpkins
Back to School Binder Make Over!
How to Create a Bib Necklace
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...