A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
434 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: tired of the sexy-everything costumes?  (Read 35093 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shenjall
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008 05:23:29 PM »

I LOVE your costume Bighalofro!  Its awesome!

I hear you all on the trashy costumes.  How has this become acceptable?  Like the Indiana jones costume for women - same short skirt, tight top but oh!  She has a hat!  And a whip!  Who knew that indiana jones and a dominatrix had so much in common?  Wink

I'm happy this year with my kids costumes.  I've got a dorothy from wiz of oz; 2 demons and my daughter and her friend are going as mario and luigi.  So, I'm happy. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
osseti
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008 05:59:16 PM »

scarlet!  yes, my mom used to make my costumes, too, after we'd spend lots of time poring over patterns (she wasn't crafty enough to go w/o patterns) and shopping for fabric.  loved it!  and as an adult, i've always loved the process of figuring out what to be and gathering the pieces or making the costume.  we used to have a themed halloween party every year at my house, too, so there was the extra challenge of finding something in the theme.  if i ever have another party i'm going to do the burton ball that someone mentioned.  love tim burton!  (ok, i know i'm getting off my own topic here, sorry...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NerdyCrochetGal
Nerdy Weirdo with Yarn Skills

I am not ignoring you... I am counting stitches...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008 06:32:23 PM »

Re: All I know is that when a kid comes to my door with a costume he or she obviously made on their own, I give out twice the candy. Us crafters have to stick together. -

I totally have two sets of candy by the door: those for the good costumes and those for the bad.  The lousy costumes get the el-cheapo candy because if they weren't willing to put more effort into their costume, then I'm not willing to spend more on rewarding them!  I'm glad I'm not the only Halloween dictator!

That doesn't make you a Halloween dictator. That just makes you fair. Why would you give someone good candy when they obviously don't care enough to show any creativity or even try. I would rather see a really crappy handmade costume than a really expensive store-bought one. (Oh and I definitely am more apt to give a handful of candy to those little scamps in creative costumes, than those who just got $20 and went to the store.)

Oh and to address the "ho-in-a-bag" costumes that are becoming ever so popular. I would also like to add that I am a larger girl, and they don't even make costumes that fit me anymore because they are all made of so little damn fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HOOKER PRIDE!!!
FlashleyAshley

mashley forever

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008 07:52:17 PM »

ughhh, I can't stand the ho-in-a-bag costumes. My former roommate was a 'sexy football player' last year. She spent $50 on an inflatable football, some booty shorts and a see through shirt. And she looked disgusting and was freezing cold.
I, on the other hand, was a polar fleece dinosaur and was toasty warm and awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.ohthatashley.blogspot.com
I'm working on getting my blog up, check it out! Smiley
Bighalofro
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008 07:59:11 PM »

I LOVE your costume Bighalofro!  Its awesome!

I hear you all on the trashy costumes.  How has this become acceptable?  Like the Indiana jones costume for women - same short skirt, tight top but oh!  She has a hat!  And a whip!  Who knew that indiana jones and a dominatrix had so much in common?  Wink

I'm happy this year with my kids costumes.  I've got a dorothy from wiz of oz; 2 demons and my daughter and her friend are going as mario and luigi.  So, I'm happy. Smiley

Thanks so much Shengall!  And I think it's awesome that your daughter and her friend are going as the mario brothers!  Very cool Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pika Pocket
The pocket pirater!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2008 08:36:33 PM »

It's like that line from Mean Girls

"Halloween is the one night of the year where girls can dress up as complete sluts and no other girls can say anything about it."

Except we do say things about it. It's disgusting. For that same amount of money (give or take a few $) I made a full Victorian dress that will last me for ages. (I'm so proud of it! I need to post pics) But every year it's the same stuff. I haven't seen any actual new costumes. It seems like the only ways to avoid the slut-tastic costumes would be to either wear a "guy's" costume, make your own, or not even dress up- which the thought of makes me want to go hang myself with decorative spiderweb.  Cry

We should start a petition. Craftsters against poorly made slutty costumes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh shiz! She's trying to knit!
IamSusie
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2008 08:56:38 PM »

Maybe I'm, just too old to deal with this issue.  My kids are reasonable about what they want to be for Halloween and my daughter likes Hannah Montana, but we agree that it is more fun to be something original.

I never did understand people who dress too sexy for any occasion.  I don't think that those costumes really are acceptable, only tolerated.  Tongue It is much more fun to dress up in a very silly costume for Halloween.  This might be the year that I make a pizza slice costume for myself. 

Son, however is at that middle-schooler age where he wants to get the candy, but he is self-conscious about putting on a costume.  We are still working out what he will be because I said he can't trick-or-treat unless he dresses up as something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2008 09:03:00 PM »

well, i enjoy the interesting costumes too but i don't know if i would feel good about giving out less or not-as-good candy to kids with meh costumes. why should i punish them for having non-crafty or non-inspired or non-cashified parents? maybe it isn't their fault, who knows.
now the kids that are obviously too old don't thrill me. i wish parents of those tweens and teens would organize a party for them, that would be fun and maybe keep them from smashing pumpkins and stealing candy from littler kids (that happened to me when i was young Sad).

as for the sexy, what is with that? it's so boring. So BORING!! if you're going to dress sexy as least do it in context, right? and i agree, those kinds of costumes look best on hairy dudes anyhow, heh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
IamSusie
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2008 09:08:33 PM »

I give everyone the same candy no matter how they are dressed.  Only a few of the older boys get carried away and come by more than once to get their hands on my chocolate.  I usually tell them to get lost...  In my neighborhood, I find that the kids are mostly really polite and nice and their parents are doing their best with the costumes.

as for the sexy, what is with that? it's so boring. So BORING!!
Indeed it is!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZombieMama
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2008 12:10:15 AM »

i totally hear ya man
all these costumes now just look like the bargain bin from "theme" stripper nights rejects

i think it also takes so much creativity out of the holiday when some broad just wants to dress up as a "sexy pirate" etc etc

i really think alot of girls use the holiday as a excuse to look super slutty for one night of the year and brush off glares or comments with "hehe ...its just a costume;)" blah
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Cameras in Motion 3 Part 3/3
How to Create a Desktop Puzzle - Shake 4.1
How to Create Transitions - DVD Studio Pro
How to Key Frame Mood Changes - Apple Color
How to Create a Complete Metamorphosis Part 1/2 - Shake 4.1
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...