A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,473
Currently Running With Scissors:
661 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cutie Jacket Pillows with tutorial  (Read 1801 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eakircher

gimme your garbage

View Profile WWW
« on: March 02, 2005 08:46:23 AM »

I found these two kid's jackets at a thrift store and they looked like they should be worn by my brother and his girlfriend, except when they were much much smaller than they are now!  I made them into pillows and I'm going to give them away this weekend, so I thought I'd share before the Vinnie and Erika pillows go to live with the real Vinnie and Erika.

Here's what I did:
1. Machine wash and dry (I've found that despite what the tag in the clothing says, pretty much anything can be thrown in the wash)
2. Stitch the bottom and cuffs shut.  I did it by hand by just pinching together and stitching, pulling on iit after the stitches were into make sure they were tight and close enough.  A machine would have done a better job probably.
3.  Stuff!  I used fabric scraps because I have tons just laying around, but you could use that poly-fill stuff too.
4.  Stitch a piece of fabric in around the collar (rather than pinch the top together and stitich) to hold the stuffing in while keeping the body-like shape of the pillow.
5.  I didn't do this, but it would be a good idea to put some stitches under the zipper pull so that no one is tempted to pull it down and let the filling spill out.
Here are the finished pillows:

Houseguests have complimented me on them which made me think of other little clothing that could be stuffed:  sweatshirts, pants, top and bottom together to make a 'doll', pretty much anything. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IAte86Crayons
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005 09:10:16 PM »

Oooh, those are so cute! I used to have a jacket similar to the brown one when I was little! Aww I've gotta make one of these! I might even make some pillows out of those little boy tighty whities with the cool superhero prints on them.  Cheesy Were the jackets flat or puffy when you bought them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eakircher

gimme your garbage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005 08:42:51 AM »

Superhero tighty whity pillows!!!! Yay! those will be so cool!

The brown jacket was a spring type jacket, just one layer of cotton so mot very poofy, but the blue one was a winter jacket that was quilted, so sort of poofy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Chili With Chilies
April Fools Steak Recipe
Chicken Chorizo Meatloaf Recipe
How to Make Macaroni and Cheese
How to Make Chicken With Mushrooms
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...