I found these two kid's jackets at a thrift store and they looked like they should be worn by my brother and his girlfriend, except when they were much much smaller than they are now! I made them into pillows and I'm going to give them away this weekend, so I thought I'd share before the Vinnie and Erika pillows go to live with the real Vinnie and Erika.
Here's what I did:
1. Machine wash and dry (I've found that despite what the tag in the clothing says, pretty much anything can be thrown in the wash)
2. Stitch the bottom and cuffs shut. I did it by hand by just pinching together and stitching, pulling on iit after the stitches were into make sure they were tight and close enough. A machine would have done a better job probably.
3. Stuff! I used fabric scraps because I have tons just laying around, but you could use that poly-fill stuff too.
4. Stitch a piece of fabric in around the collar (rather than pinch the top together and stitich) to hold the stuffing in while keeping the body-like shape of the pillow.
5. I didn't do this, but it would be a good idea to put some stitches under the zipper pull so that no one is tempted to pull it down and let the filling spill out.
Here are the finished pillows:
Houseguests have complimented me on them which made me think of other little clothing that could be stuffed: sweatshirts, pants, top and bottom together to make a 'doll', pretty much anything.