A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,949
Currently Running With Scissors:
681 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sukkah Decorated  (Read 2214 times)
Tags for this thread: sukkah , jewish_holiday , autumn , sukkot , decoration  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« on: October 13, 2008 12:14:09 PM »

Anyone wlese here have pictures of their Sukkah? Please share!

Here are some of ours. Just got it done a little while ago. Nothing like working on a deadline to put fear into me. Grin

Ours is relatively small (can only seat 10 people), but I kind of like it that way.

Thanks for looking! Smiley

(For a fun Sukkot recipe check hereSmiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008 12:06:19 PM »

I love it!  Smiley

No sukkah here.  I'm lazy.   Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008 12:26:01 PM »

Thank you for replying CraftyCat!

Hope your Sukkot is going good. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jinjeet Phoenix

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008 12:35:28 PM »

What a lovely Sukkah. I love your welcome decorations.  Didn't have a Sukkah this year but DH promised me that he will build a new frame after I schlepped him around to my friends Sukkah, so hopefully next year we can sit in our own Sukkah again.  I still have all of my decorations and outside cover for it.  Good idea to put up the roof thing.  We only used wire to keep the branches up.  I like the palm leaves and when they start to go brown after a few days they can really hurt when you walk into them.  I love yours.  It's nice and cozy.  Lovely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008 12:48:49 PM »

Thank you! Smiley

Around here having a sukkah is a big deal. We even have the sukkah hop for the kids.

The top cover is called a schach. It can be bought online, and is kosher for keeping on top of the sukkah. You can still see the sky/stars. Don't recall how much they are, but since it is re-used every year it is negligible.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jinjeet Phoenix

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008 01:04:39 PM »

You mean what I see in the picture you call  schach?  How cool.  That means you don't have to go around crazy looking for the cut off branches of trees?  How very very cool.  I've never seen that before.  I was thinking (when I saw yours) that I'd just get the stuff we have here for the "banana houses" and use that next year then put up the palm branches cause it's like a screen and you can see through it but the branches and leaves won't fall down (esp into the food.lol)  thank you for the information\lesson.  I don't mean to be a pain, but do you put lights in your lanterns?  I've only used a naked bulb through the years and would like to make it nicer for next yr and the yrs to come.
And what is a Sukkah hop? lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008 06:30:55 PM »

The schach is all natural, and will last for a long time. The one we have is about 5 years old. The paper lanterns have battery operated lights, but we have large overhanging lamps (you can see the one over the table and the back right corner). They provide the real light for inside.

The sukkah hop is where we have 3 - 4 routes for all the sukkahs through our community. All the children go on the route that they live within, to each sukkah. At each stop they learn a story, sing or talk about the parsha. They get treats or a drink, and go to the next house.

No worries on the questions. I am glad to answer them! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jinjeet Phoenix

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008 09:19:47 PM »

Thank you so much for your patience in answering my questions HSG.  That's a wonderful idea for the kids going on a "Sukkah walk".  Fun as well as educational.  Our kids do the same here just didn't know it had a name but they just go from one house to another and "visit" or see what each family does.  It is all within walking distance.  I had the joy of doing this with them last year while working in the kindergarden. Of course, the kindergarden had it's own large Sukkah.
I really like the idea of the paper lanterns since I love to just sit out in the Sukkah in the evenings and the weather usually permits.  I'll keep my eyes open this year.  We try to prune our trees around Sukkah specifically for the Schach also, when the kids were young, I tried to at least have 5 "minim" on a smaller "feature" table in the Sukkah. Too bad I don't have pictures of them.  Probably only the film type pictures.  I've already started with decorations for next year since DH promised me he'd make the frame.  I've already saved the fabric I sewed to go around it and some of the decorations hopefully have survived.  Can you tell that Sukkot is one of my favorite holidays? Hopefully, B'H, we can compare notes next year.  Again, thank you for sharing with me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Design Anime Feet
How to Design Funny Cartoons
How to Sketch Chibi
How to Sketch Anime Faces
How to Choose Inks
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...