A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 304,879
Currently Running With Scissors:
709 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craftsters Guide to Crafting for Men  (Read 5584 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tickle_Me_Pink
« on: October 13, 2008 05:50:43 AM »

Men are most definatley the hardest people to craft for, no doubt about it! So why don't we share our ideas here. Things we've made in the past, planning to make, or just though of! Whether they be fathers, husbands, brothers, nephews, whatever! Post it!

Brothers: Homemade boxers, if you can sew! Buy a pattern, and some fabric/notions, your ready to go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3
Jan1972
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008 06:35:03 AM »

My OH has asked me to make him a microwave heat pack (wheat/rice/corn bag), as the ones in the store are the wrong shape.  I'm going to make them for all the family this christmas, male and female,  with washable covers - made in fabric to suit each person.

These are ideal for the males in my family who regularly suffer with "man flu".

Janette
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dannispring240
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008 09:30:14 PM »

I agree! Men are very hard to craft for.

I was thinking about making a couple of sceened Ts for my boyfriend and brother this year. My boyfriend is a little easier to craft for because he loves video games, and thanks to the fabulous people of crafter I am always seening fantastic video game inspired crafts. =]

I usually make manly looking scarfs, and beenies for the men in my life.

I think next year I am going to try for some manly quilts. =]

I like to buy a majority of their major gifts, and then have fun crafting things for their stocking. A lot of my boys like manly things in cute, pockets sized, doses. (I make video games characters from felt, favorite animals from felt, keychains, gloves, beenies, wallets, etc) Some of them are even happy when you can transpose their personality on  a hand made ornament. (With their name and the current year) Maybe if you take this approach, and make them one every year, they can see how their tastes have changed/grown.

For my dad, I am going to be painting him a character from his favorite movie. He is a huge collector of Clint Eastwood, and it would be easier to find the third olsen twin, then to buy him something for his collection. So, I decided to create a one of a kind piece to go with the collection instead. I am thinking about having it framed too.

My uncle is the hardest. He is a Vikings (football) fan, and pretty much hangs out at home. I am thinking about giving him a screened tee as well, but I'm not sure.

Hope any of that helps anyone. =]
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008 11:23:13 PM by dannispring240 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am very sorry to anyone wishing to look at the pictures that I have previously posted. Photobucket deleted my account without warning.  :/

wist: http://wists.com/dannispring240
etsy: http://stumpcrafts.etsy.com
moonablaze
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008 11:12:05 PM »

fleece scarves in "manly" colors (forest green, navy blue, camo) and luggage tags are the only items I've ever gotten much appreciation for from guys. (my dad did like a picture frame I did once, but it was as much because of the picture as the frame)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
odd_artist
WEIRD IS GOOD!

Twister of Minds

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008 04:56:48 AM »

How about a giant plushie that looks like the remote control - something they can use as a pillow when vegging.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop!
Tickle_Me_Pink
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008 06:25:40 AM »

These are some great ideas! I thought of one, that I'm now making for my dad!

Fathers/Husbands: Homemade ties! They have patterns for them, and great fabric!

I'm going to make one today on practice fabric, and than do the real in a month!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3
marcusandila
Fairy Tales are Real

A TRUE LOVE Story Never Ends

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008 04:49:31 PM »

FOR THE MEN/BOYS IN MY LIFE:

MY MAN:
-Steelers afghan [bought from etsy]
-steelers pj pants
-boxers
-wind journal for us & an embelleshed winestopper
-stenciled tshirts

My dad:

-Star afghan in the panthers colors [made by superhooker for a swap]
-Record bowl filled with chocolate covered cherry mice OR oreo bark...

My uncle:

-Stenciled tshirt
-Record bowl filled with chocolate covered cherry mice...
-I will also buy him 2 boxes of chocolate covered cherries from the Dollar store. He expects them from me every year lol

Kiddos [all 3 & under boys]

-Personalized totebags filled with coloring books, crayons, books, bath crayons, bathmits, probably some suckers & misc candy

Boys [tweens]

-scarf/hat/mitten set
-manly bathset with lego soap, skull soap, football soap, MANLY body wash, etc. you get the idea
-Painted pokemon tin filled with pokemon cookies

My cousin [like a brother]-19

-probably etched shotglasses or
-maybe something bought for his "habit"
-honestly i dont have a clue for him...he's expecting his 2nd baby and i was thinking about whipping out a cleveland browns baby blanket for him, but i'd hear "ILAAAAAAA, this is for the baby...where's MYYYYYYYYY present?!" He's such a spoiled goober lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MY BLOG
MY PINTEREST
Momma to Cade & Cas
*Personal Swap? Yeahhh!*
Christinemichelle
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008 07:15:17 AM »

This year my guy is getting a crocheted set of a scarf, brimmed beanie, and hobo mitts in navy blue. I wanted to do a tshirt quilt, but I'm lacking the tshirts and havent been able to find any at a good price.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008 08:47:13 AM »

Things I have done in the past that seemed to go over well with the menfolk I know:

Crocheted boob pillows - found the pattern on the web, and made as a joke gift for all the guys I knew, in varying cup sizes.  They all got a good laugh, and I know a few who still use them.  I was told they make great neck pillows for the recliner.

Candied shot glasses - they don't last long, but they got a great reception.  If you want, what you can do is buy mold, make the glasses and give them both the mold and glasses because the mold makes awesome ice shots after

Made my DH an afghan - he loves it because it's great to snuggle under when lying on the couch watching TV.  Same with my friends.

A girlie lamp - made that for our summer secret santa using plain glass Ikea table lamps and waterslide transfer paper.  Very well received by the recipient, and other men in the crowd were jealous.  Could be done easily enough with decoupage on lampshades, or glass paint/etching too.

On the girlie theme - also things like coasters

For DH and his work buds, I made cooling neckties (instructions on my blog) to stay cool with in the summer when working outside, and later I made some more in round or square shapes they could stick in their hats too for the same use.  They are also great for pregnant or menopausal women, or also a couple of friends who love the garden, or marathon run/bike.

Did not make these myself, but they went over well - leather beer bottle/beer can holders - they were leather, with a handle, and stamped with a motif,and very stiff.

Other things I have been told would be good would be things like convertable mitts - where the ends open up to expose bare fingers, or gloved fingers so they have the warmth, but the option of dexterity when needed, without sacrificing all the warmth. 

Work aprons for the workshop - sturdy pockets are good

Caddies for things like remotes, letters, etc
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
ChrisSews
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008 07:55:18 PM »

My family has this tradition of drawing names and everyone has to make a homemade gift for that person.  Everyone looks forward to these gifts way more than the store bought ones.  Family use to be all girls (4 girls and mom) but we've gotten our husbands into it too.  So far they've been good sports about if even though they're not really crafty.

Some gifts the boys have received that went over well include:

Painted/ wood burnt photo frames
Picture frame with baby pics of hubby and wife
Flannel quilt in dark manly colors
Fleece jackets and sweatshirts
pj/lounge pants
Wooden watch/cuff link box
Finished photo album/scrapbook (my hubbies mom made him one with lots of childhood pic and he really loves it)
Wine charms
Scarves
Threw blanket
Office survival kits and grad school survival kit (homemade 1st aid type pouches packed with things like coffee and tea packs; headache meds, antacid, back pain relief patches; fav snacks; energy bars; pics to remind them of love ones, pets, fav. places, vacations, etc; get creative with whatever you think the person will like and need). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my projects, ideas, and swap wish list at...
http://pinterest.com/cmsargent/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Chicken Curry
Chicken Curry Ingredients
Preparing the Chicken for the Chicken Curry
Browning and Adding Spices to Chopped Onions
Cooking With Sonny With a Chance Star Tiffany Thornton
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...