A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
429 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fluffy Lace Camisole from Weekend Knitting  (Read 4826 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vysews
« on: March 02, 2005 06:45:44 AM »

I got some Kidsilk Haze on sale. Is anyone interested in knitting up this camisole and cowl neck with me? I anticipate I'll need the support since this is the firt thing I'm knitting that needs to be a certain size Roll Eyes

vysews
« Last Edit: March 02, 2005 07:26:19 PM by vysews » THIS ROCKS   Logged

zzjulia
New Knitter Attempts Blog

Woof!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005 09:17:15 AM »

I bought my Douceur et Soie for the lacy cowl.  I'm in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mojisha
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005 01:17:12 PM »

I'm in!  I have had this yarn for months waiting to do this cami.  The needles, however, were the problem.  I ordered them on Dec. 31 and got them YESTERDAY (Mar. 1)!! Unfortunately, the yarn shop didn't put my apartment number on them and they kept getting sent back.  So, I am set to go now!  I will be using Kidsilk Haze in Candygirl (a hot pinkish/magenta color). What colors are y'all using?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my new digs at http://shysalamander.typepad.com
vysews
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005 02:53:07 PM »

Yeah! I'm so excited to have partners in crime :-) My Kidsilk Haze is a medium gray color--I forget the exact name.

I tried knitting up some of the pattern stitch for a swatch and am learning that mohair is a nightmare to frog, especially in this stitch pattern. This is my first time working with mohair, so if you have tips, let me know. I did see a Knitty Gritty tip to put your mohair in the freezer for an hour to keep it from sticking together. Don't know that that would help if you're trying to frog though.

Anyhow, here's what I've decided to do--let me know if you think it's reasonable. In lieu of doing up a swatch, I'm just going to start right in on the cowl. I don't really think the finished size of that matters much, and I'll be able get my gauge from that. If I need to adjust needle size or whatever, I don't think it'll be all that noticeable on the cowl unless I'm way, way off to begin with. Then, I'll adjust the pattern for the tank to my gauge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mojisha
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005 04:22:13 PM »

I think your idea to do the cowl as a swatch is a great one...in fact, I think I'll do it that way, too!  I think it was Elizabeth Zimmerman, the knitting guru, who suggested making a hat or some small object first out of yarn you were intending to use for a sweater and to use it as a guage.  So I guess you have the mind of a knitting genius!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zzjulia

Woof!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005 05:19:28 PM »

I bought the Douceur et Soie in a cheery shade of coral.  I presently am obsessed with just about anything orange or pink.  Coral--being both--is just too irresistable!  I bought both the yarn and needles at Stitches West, so I'm very excited to start on this project.

Anyone buy the DMC perle cotton yet for the trim?  It took me forever to realize it was embroidery floss!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

vysews
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005 05:56:59 PM »

I bought the Douceur et Soie in a cheery shade of coral.  I presently am obsessed with just about anything orange or pink.  Coral--being both--is just too irresistable!  I bought both the yarn and needles at Stitches West, so I'm very excited to start on this project.

Anyone buy the DMC perle cotton yet for the trim?  It took me forever to realize it was embroidery floss!

No, not yet. It took me awhile to realize what it was for--I might have misread the directions, but it didn't really make it explicit. I was going to see what it looked like after the knitting was done before deciding whether or not to do trim--it may look just fine without.

I can't wait to see your yarn. I love orange and pink too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vysews
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005 04:34:02 AM »

I bought my Douceur et Soie for the lacy cowl.  I'm in!

zzjulia, I hadn't seen this yarn before, so I searched for it on the net. It looks like the same composition as kidsilk haze, but the colors are more fun! Darn, I wish I'd seen that before! Oh well, I do like my gray color.

Have you all started yet? I began the cowl and love the lace pattern. Only thing is that once I start the camisole, I will probably modify row 3 of the lace pattern in the round. It starts out

K2, *yo, sl1, etc.*.

I think that first K2 just ends up leaving an area that is too obviously different from the rest of it. I'm not going to frog what I have (I've already mentioned how hard that is!), but when I do the camisole itself, I'll probably start row 3 right off with the yo, sl1, etc. when working in the round. It won't make a difference in the stitch count or anything (I don't think!) and when I tried it once, it looked better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mojisha
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005 04:03:03 PM »

I haven't started but hope to cast on for the cowl tonight or tomorrow morning.  ZZjulia, your coral color sounds perfect for summer.

I went to one of my LYSs and they were able to explain the whole DMC floss to me because it never says WHICH weight floss to use (I think it's the Pearl Cotton size 5...but I don't have it in front of me.) I still am not certain how to use it on the finished piece.  Anyway, I ordered the perfect shade and they called me back and said DMC wasn't making that color.  Despite all it's efforts, this cami WILL get made!  I hope to have some progress pics this weekend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zzjulia

Woof!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005 04:13:14 PM »

It was Booglass here on the Craftster board raving about how she found a KidHaze sub!  The Douceur is marginally (like a buck) cheaper too.

I haven't started yet, because I am compulsively reading the pattern.  I had such a tough time trying to understand the brioche in the round pattern, that I am a bit nervous.  Thank goodness for you two--my partners in crime!

The DMC thing I figured out by finding the right weight (grams?) or yardage in the Herrschner's catalog (only one type of the DMC was listed as being the same).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Decorate with Slip
How to make a Medium Sized Bowl 2 - Trimming and Using a Giffin Grip
How to use Two Clays for a Marble Effect
Finished Pieces from the Kiln - Follow Up
How to make a Porcelain Vessel with Wire Inlay
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...