A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,362
Currently Running With Scissors:
596 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What's with Burton and wedding dresses anyways? *costume help*  (Read 1792 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mableheartscharlie
« on: October 12, 2008 06:04:06 PM »

So for a lead up to Halloween my friend is having a Burton Ball and I am waffling back and forth between Emily and Lydia and I had a few questions about wedding dresses...

1) Can you actually wash a wedding dress with out it coming out wonky? I worked in a Drycleaners and I know people paid big bucks to get them done professionally so that has installed some DIY fear into me.
1a) If I wanted to dye it can it be soaked (and not lose shape etc)?

I'm a little nervous to dive into this one most dresses I've found (for cheep) are like 3-7 which I am (very) much not. So it's kinda a one shot deal.If any of you have some insight or first hand experience I would be greatful...THANKS!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm one crafty bitch.
ZombieMama
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008 09:04:59 PM »

un4tunately i dont noe nething about dyeing but i suggest if its a big inconvenience y not just make one?Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftoholicthrifterista
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008 05:07:15 AM »

If you are going for Emily a little (or a lot of) wrinkles would actually work for you. you won't be able to get it colored black unless you get it professionally done, but if you are going for grey:

Get a pan where you can submerge the dress. Calculate up to which point you need to fill the pan w/ liquid so it will not only soak into the dress but also cover it. Fill pan up w/ isoprophyl alcohol. Carefully (use gloves for this), w/ pliers, remove the ink (sponge, cartridge? )from several sharpie markers (the darker you wanted the more markers you will need). place these ink filled tubes in the pan w/ the alcohol. mix. place dry dress in mixture until evenly covered/absorbed. let it sit until you are happy w/ it. remove and rinse w/ cold water w/ a bit of salt.

Hope this helps.
PS- Another poster on this site (I think CraftyChica) Did Emily for her daughter and is the best I have seen. You may want to look her up for ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008 10:07:23 PM »

If the dress is silk or rayon, plain old Rit Dye or other brands would be just fine. I totally agree on the marker technique for polyester. You'll just have to buy a few packages of markers Tongue Also, you'll probably need two or more bottles of alcohol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mableheartscharlie
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008 10:20:00 PM »

If you are going for Emily a little (or a lot of) wrinkles would actually work for you. you won't be able to get it colored black unless you get it professionally done, but if you are going for grey:

Get a pan where you can submerge the dress. Calculate up to which point you need to fill the pan w/ liquid so it will not only soak into the dress but also cover it. Fill pan up w/ isoprophyl alcohol. Carefully (use gloves for this), w/ pliers, remove the ink (sponge, cartridge? )from several sharpie markers (the darker you wanted the more markers you will need). place these ink filled tubes in the pan w/ the alcohol. mix. place dry dress in mixture until evenly covered/absorbed. let it sit until you are happy w/ it. remove and rinse w/ cold water w/ a bit of salt.

Hope this helps.
PS- Another poster on this site (I think CraftyChica) Did Emily for her daughter and is the best I have seen. You may want to look her up for ideas.

That does help Smiley Can I do the same for red for Lydia or will it make it pink?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm one crafty bitch.
craftoholicthrifterista
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008 08:33:54 AM »

Yes, you can go any color you wish. The depth of the color depends on the number of markers you use. Many dresses use a combination of fabrics (silk, rayon, polyester nylon). If this is the case with your dress you may want to use the Rit Dye first, like Alexus suggested, and then use the markers, that way you ensure total even coverage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CostumeGoddess
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008 12:37:23 PM »

If your dress is a natural fiber, then you will want to make sure you wet the dress completely before dying it with Rit. Otherwise you might get blotches. If it is polyester, Rit will give you a light tinting at best.

A washer is good for doing this as you can get the water really hot to properly desolve the dye first. Agitate the water briefly to make sure it distributes the dye well. And make sure to run a bleach load with old towels at lease once through the washer when you are done! And wipe down the outside of the washer too as the dye dust gets everywhere and you don't know it's there until it's on your best blouse.

I don't recommend you rinse your garment too thoroughly if it is a blend of fibers as you won't retain the color.

I do recommend "setting" the dye in the garment when you are done by running it through the dryer on the highest setting you can risk. Again, clean the dryer thoroughly when you are done! 

Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Yellow Slime
How to Make Red Slime
How to Make Pink Slime
How to Make Slime
How to Make Red Playdough
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...