A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,489
Currently Running With Scissors:
559 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Indian Salwar and top  (Read 1518 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

christephi

From a tiny seed grows a giant tree.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 12, 2008 03:21:21 PM »

Gotta put the cute shots first!

Okay, so I tried to follow Luxi_here's tutorial to make patiala salwar for my dd, but I really couldn't understand her instructions at all (sorry, luxi!), so I looked at the pictures and did my best from there. I'm still not sure if I did it quite right, so I'm relying on all your expertise to give me pointers on anything strange I may have done!

Front:

Back:

Ankles:

I made the top from a shirt her grandma gave us for reconstruction. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture before I started, but it was basically a button-up collared shirt with panels forming the female shaping (as opposed to just darts sewn in). I cut out the front and back panels.  Took one of the sleeves and made it into two.  A few seams later, et voila!

Close up on my homemade binding (not even cut on the bias, I'm afraid).

What do you think? I'm a little disappointed that the pants are so full and the shirt isn't full enough...looks a little funny to me. DH loves it though...he thinks it's cool that she isn't dressed like every other kid out there.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: Sprouting Flowers

Follow me on Twitter @christephi
Seraphina_de_Sangre
The Daredevil Sky Pirate

Down to a 12 and shedding more lbs. everyday!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008 04:14:25 PM »

Beyond adorable. They look amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps
Multi-Themed Steampunk Swap

Wist
julianapegas
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008 07:31:15 PM »

I agree the pants should be less full and the shirt fuller, but it looks fine anyway!  Grin
And I'm 22, but I swear I'd love to wear an outfit like this xD

DH loves it though...he thinks it's cool that she isn't dressed like every other kid out there.

Cool to hear that, huh? I hope that doesn't change much in her teenage years...  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DeviantartPoupe GirlLast.fmRavelry
sarah73
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008 06:58:48 PM »

wow that is beautiful well done and your model is so cute!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
luxi_here
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008 02:27:46 AM »

Okay, so I tried to follow Luxi_here's tutorial to make patiala salwar for my dd, but I really couldn't understand her instructions at all (sorry, luxi!), so I looked at the pictures and did my best from there. I'm still not sure if I did it quite right, so I'm relying on all your expertise to give me pointers on anything strange I may have done!

I am sorry that my instructions were'nt clear enough, it was my first elaborate tutorial post and i am still learning the tricks of it. I am glad though that i had posted enough pictures to help you out. As they say a picture is more effective than thousand words...!!!

What do you think? I'm a little disappointed that the pants are so full and the shirt isn't full enough...looks a little funny to me. DH loves it though...he thinks it's cool that she isn't dressed like every other kid out there.

Actually the 'Patiala Salwar' Pant's Characteristic feature is the 'fullness'. This is traditionally worn with a fitting top so that the fullness of the pant is even more visible. The pant is very comfortable especially for active toddlers. You can add extra interfacing kind of thing at the ankle band as it then allows the pant to stand up and lets in air
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cute Confessions of a Sew Addict
http://adithisammasews.com/
christephi

From a tiny seed grows a giant tree.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008 07:55:04 AM »

The pant is very comfortable especially for active toddlers. You can add extra interfacing kind of thing at the ankle band as it then allows the pant to stand up and lets in air

Since it's getting to be cold weather here, I decided to make this pair with the legs gathered to a band to keep the air out! ;-) But I can see that the pants are very comfortable for my VERY active toddler! I'm jealous of her and I want to make a pair for myself and my husband! Perhaps next summer I'll release the legs from the ankle band and stiffen them up to let some air in!

Also, it could be that I used too stiff of a material to make the pants and that's why it looks funny to me. If it were a bit more drapy, it might look more natural. Anyway, she loves them, so I'm satisfied. I'll just see if I can make a few changes on the next pair.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: Sprouting Flowers

Follow me on Twitter @christephi
Tenlover
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008 04:24:29 PM »

I love the pants! I agree that the top could be a little looser but overall you did an excellent job even with the binding.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
faiza81
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008 02:54:18 AM »

Thats adorable! Ive made these kind of clothes for my daughter but only with "pants". But personally i like the "fluffier" kind of shalwars, i have to try the tute.
Very cute daughter u have  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Isabel Toledo Puts Her Fashion Focus on the Plus-Size World
Trend Report - Slits
Two Ways to Style an Alexander McQueen Top
From Preppy to Rocker-Chic Style
How to Make DIY Bowties
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...