A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
520 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New to Embroidery - Need Guidance  (Read 1091 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

keeperrox
« on: October 12, 2008 02:36:35 PM »

Recently I found this Porche drawing of a Volkswagen Beetle. 

My husband has a minor obsession with VWs (he owns a '73 and collects anything VW related), and I want to replicate is somehow for him for Christmas.  I printed it out, and then traced over the main lines of the drawing with a thin black Sharpie.  I then traced it on to some plain white muslin and I want to embroider it in black.  I've never really embroidered before, so I'm not really sure where to go from here.  What stitch would be appropriate for this?  Should I use all 6 strands or split it into something thinner? Any help or tips you have to offer would be greatly appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Paulasews
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008 02:53:20 PM »

I love it! as soon as I saw the image I thought 'that would make a nice embroidery'! I would use split stitch or back stitch so that you get a solid line and I would use only one or two strands (you will need two if you do split stitch) for the lighter lines then switch up to three or four for the heavier lines. Definitely stretch your fabric before you start, it will make it much easier to get a good result.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cute_anarchy
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008 04:02:35 PM »

Ooh, that will be really great, I am sure your husband will love it!  I don't know much at all about embroidery, but I know a bit about technical drawings. 

You've probably already thought of this, but you'll want to establish line weights and keep them consistent - heaviest for the most important outside outlines, medium for inner portions, light for details and notes.  3 or 4 weights is probably enough.   I hope you'll show us the finished product, it will be great I'm sure!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a medium aged procrastinator, with a room full of craft supplies! 

I've got a wist and a pinterest: http://www.wists.com/cute_anarchy 
CraftyMcCrafterson

art should not exist for the sake of itself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008 04:25:59 PM »

I agree about the line weights. Drafting always looks so irresistible and it's because of those line weights Smiley

Good luck to you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dianneofalltrades.blogspot.com/

Looking for dead pointe shoes.
Dona Leonor
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008 04:31:04 PM »

I agree with the previous suggestions about using 3 or 4 strands for the outer lines and 2 or 1 for the ones inside.

If you are brand new to embroidering I will say to use back stitch.
Here is a link to a video on how to do it (just scroll down a bit to see the video):
http://www.needlenthread.com/2006/10/embroidery-stitch-video-tutorial_24.html

If you like to try other stitches, that same website has lots of well made video tutorials.
Maybe you could take a look at different stitches and choose the one you like the best !

Hope this helps !
Oh and by the way... my Dad use to be a VW fan as well !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScotSkipper402
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008 08:27:32 PM »

How big is your embroidered image? That will affect the number of strands.

I'm tempted to "cheat" and make a transfer for machine embroidery. (My sister's a bug fan.) Just straight stitch on  a sewing machine could be cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
keeperrox
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008 09:00:37 PM »

Printed landscape, it fits on an 8x11 sheet of paper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TreeCactus

www.needlenthread.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008 06:11:46 AM »

Wow - that's a great idea for an embroidery project!

Given the smaller size (letter sized paper), I'd go for 2 strands on bold lines and 1 strand on fine lines. You can use any line stitch, but I'd suggest split stitch (which works best with 1 strand - it keeps its closed stitch) or whipped backstitch, if you want a solid line that doesn't have the "stitch" look to it. If you like the "stitch" look, regular backstitch would work, too.

Question is, how are you going to transfer it? That's a lot of detail to trace out. I suppose you could print it on your printer, using the fabric backed with paper that you can find at craft stores....?

What type fabric were you planning on?

I can't wait to see the finished product! I think you'll have fun with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tree
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
http://www.needlenthread.com
keeperrox
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008 07:00:50 AM »

Question is, how are you going to transfer it? That's a lot of detail to trace out. I suppose you could print it on your printer, using the fabric backed with paper that you can find at craft stores....?

Well, I'm a teacher, so I was planning on using one of the old projectors as a light box and then just tracing the line with one of my water or air soluble sewing markers.  I have a laser printer, so I don't know that using it will really work.  Do you have any other ideas?

What type fabric were you planning on?

I looked at Joann's this weekend and didn't see anything in the needlework section that I liked (they all looked like they were for cross-stitch, with a really large weave).  I have a bolt of plain white muslin and was thinking about using that.  Do you think that will work or is there something better out there for something like this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fatewineroses
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008 09:05:27 AM »

Solvy rocks.  Depending on which kind you got you could either do a straight trace, or print it out directly onto the Solvy.  It's cheap too.  I used it for one of my recent projects and really loved it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist
Uncertain Creativity
seekingstars on etsy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Making Futurist Films
The Muse of Barry Ptolemy
The Morality of Filming South African Vineyards
Photoshop CS5 Beta Review
Censorship and Slashers
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...