A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,482
Currently Running With Scissors:
373 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: mermaid boobies/bra  (Read 2853 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bemyhospital
« on: October 12, 2008 02:12:16 PM »

at a loss on what to do for my seashell shaped boobs/bra on my costume. how would i make this applique? (this is from ebay but its too small) i cant seem to find anything like this in stores.

and i want to make top like this, halter style possibly without the shell shape. i already have the fabric but having a hard time finding a pattern? any ideas?

sorry it said i have to post 10 times before i can post pictures thats why i have the links.

thanks!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011 01:01:16 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008 03:07:52 PM »

I was surprised to find that you can actually just buy the finished costume for a fairly reasonable price http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HAZ9AE?ie=UTF8&tag=lovetoknow-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B000HAZ9AE

If you want to make a sparkley shell bra cup, find a good picture of a scallop shell, blow it up so it covers what you want covered, then use it as a pattern.  Make a lined fabric "shell" then sew or glue sequins or glitter to outline the designs on the shell.  Use a different color of sequins or glitter to fill in. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bemyhospital
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008 03:57:11 PM »

ya i mean the thing is i wanted to do it all diy. i think ill try that idea about the shells tho.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alli.illektro
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008 04:52:40 PM »

i would just cut out some fabric shells and embroider/sequin them however you want then sew them on top of a nude color bra. that way youre sure youre covered and it wont come off or shift werid. Tongue hope that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LolaBella
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008 02:41:45 PM »

I'm making a mermaid costume for my roommate kinda like this (but not halter style, although we are using a clear strap to help hold it up).  I haven't done it yet, but I just plan on cutting out two shell shapes that I will free hand on the fabric and sewing around the edges (right sides facing) to make a little "pillow-like" shell with a little opening.  Then I'm going to stuff a piece of quilt batting that is cut to the same size inside and close the small hole.  Then I'll sew the lines for the shell on top of it, kind of like quilting.  Should be pretty easy.  Then I'm just going to make some straps out of the same fabric that I'll sew on to the sides and attach to the two shells together with some whip-stitching or something.  She's going to wear it over a nude shirt so we won't have to worry too much about it not fitting perfectly.

Good luck!  Post pics when you're done.  I'll be sure to post mine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Costume Blog: Bella Miss Ella
Regular Blog:
Bella Boston
redstar13
"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan. " -Tom Landrey

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008 08:30:26 PM »

A few years ago, I made a mermaid costume for my sister. I Took a nude tank top/camisole, glued/sewed shell shaped felt pieces on, then used glittery puff paint to outline the shells. Sht was comfortable, and the shells didn't move!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Cool Cuffed Denim Shorts in Under 4 Minutes
How to Mix & Match Your Wardrobe
DIY Fashion Inspired by the Kitchen
Is a Bra the Secret to Looking Slimmer?
4 Fashion Looks For Only $80
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...