A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,105
Currently Running With Scissors:
595 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Two-tone tri-fold zippered wallet - NOW WITH TUTORIAL  (Read 29183 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , wallet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alexandra_m79
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2005 01:21:59 AM »

here we go again. Sorry, but I didn't finish the wallet yesterday evening, only this morning. But here are my remarks:

First off, Id recommend to make the two coin pocket and the smaller outer piece higher than indicated, I had to chop off a good bit of the inside purse, because these pieces were too small and with it lost most of the prickly velcro.

After completing steps 1 and 2 you have six card holders, that have bias binding to one side of them. Because youve cut 7 strips of bias binding, there is one still unused. You will use that one to sew the medium and large card holder with bias binding on their right side to the inside of the wallet. For this you align the card holders in the way that their long and still rough side is at level, then you put the bias binding around both and then sew alltogether at 9 cm from the right (see pins in picture) to the inside piece (RSO). So when you see the bias binding on both sides, it is already attached to the inside piece and hides the rough edges.

In Step 4, you sew the zipper to the right side of the fabric. When you flip the fabric, you still have the right side of the zipper facing you having the opening to the left, but the wrong side of the fabric.

In answer to your questions about step 6. I hope I explained it above, that you have already sewed two pieces to the inside of the wallet. First, you sew the clear piece to the right of the wallet, with the bias binding facing to the middle. Then you put the remaing three card pockets with binding on the right, on top of each other. Smaller on Larger and sew them on the left side of the inside with the bias binding again pointing to the middle.

Step 7, I do a bit differently. First I put bias binding around the upper side of the wallet, I even hemmed that part because again, I have some slippery ribbon. Then I pinned this to the zipper, the same side as the one note part is already sewed on, just that the note part is on the wrong side of the zipper and the wallet inside goes on top. I do not flip the fabric here because I dont want the sewing line to show on the inside.

Step 8, put the big outside part RSO, on top zipper face down, then coin pocket RSD, sew, turn and topstitch. On the other side of zipper, put coin pocket RSO, then zipper face up, then small outer part face down, sew, topstitch. Above the zipper and below you should now have two fabric pieces facing good sides.

Then, as already described, put outer piece RSD, unused note pocket RSO and inside of wallet RSO on top. I then stitched all around the wallet to keep it from slipping when sewing on the bias binding. And here the pictures of the final product. It looks a bit better than the last one, but I'm still not completely happy with it. I will have to go and search for some non-slippery ribbon thing to use.

hope, this helps a bit. sunny greetings from switzerland...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011 04:20:25 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
island-princess
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2005 08:49:05 AM »

Thanks a lot Alexandra; it does make a lot more sense. I appreciate what you have done to help me. Smiley Your wallet looks great! Tefkae, if you can also address my concerns as well, it would also be helpful. I hope to make one soon. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dia
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2005 04:52:01 AM »

thanks a lot tefkae for the awesome tut. i made one using it. but i had problems with the bias in the last step when applying it all around. here are my pics.
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=9481
ps. can anyone tell me how can i bring the pics here on my post without writing down the link. just the pics.

edited to add pics on 2nd May.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2005 09:24:46 PM by dia » THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you are feeling stressed and about to breakdown, just remember: STRESSED is just DESSERTS spelled backwards... Its a piece of cake!
kwiltaNYC
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2005 08:49:28 AM »

hi everybody,
i'm new to this website but luvin' it.  i just wanted to respond to the question about bias binding with a little bit more detail.  as a quilter, we use this to bind our quilts all the time.  it is a very durable edge compared to straight of grain...
bias binding can be as wide as you like, correctly described previously as edges folded in.  you can make bias binding out of any woven (as opposed to knit) fabric, as long as you cut it on the bias, that is, at a 45 degree angle to the selvage edge of your fabric.  any angle will stretch, but 45 degrees gives the best degree of stretch.  HOWEVER, in quilts as well as this project you are not really looking to stretch the bias around, as this will distort your edges.  the wallet could technically be bound by strips of fabric that are not cut on the bias (that is, straight with the grain of the fabric) but bias also curves well around the corners and as i said, is more durable.   for a neater appearance of these curves, try ironing with steam to shrink the inner bend and stretch the outer bend simultaneously.
quilters use bias also to create intricate designs for applique, such as celtic, vines, etc because of the beauty of the curve - ideally, this curve is without puckers.  consider a wavy appliqued design across your wallet just for decoration!
there are numerous tutorials for making enough continuous binding for oodles of wallets on the net, i will search then hopefully have a link for ya.

ok here it is - all you ever wanted to know about bias binding:
https://www.nancysnotions.com/NNVia/index.jsp

for some reason a direct link doesn't work - you have to click on "online extras" then "hints and tips" then "how to make bias strips"
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005 10:20:59 AM by kwiltaNYC » THIS ROCKS   Logged
dyabolica

Gaze into my eyes and submit to my puppy dominion!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2005 10:49:16 AM »

very nice, I am so making this. The scary thing is I own all 4 of the fabrics shown lmfao ( get out of my fabric closet hehe ) .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

R.I.P Jon 7.15.07 I will never get over losing you!
End the war in Iraq, we have lost enough our
Fathers, Mothers, Sons and Daughters! I won't be on Craftster for a while, I am just not feeling creative.
missgurle17
Miss Dana Rae

XoXo, Dana

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2005 11:00:11 AM »

That is really awesome, I've actually been working on a bigger wallet (one that can hold a check book, even though I've never used it I feel so much better when I have it). I love the checkered!

But one suggestion I might make is to add the tutorial to your original post (copy and paste it into there buy clicking edit under your orginal post) it makes it so much easier for people instead of having to find it on later pages.

<3, Miss Dana Rae
THIS ROCKS   Logged

XoXo, Dana Rae

I have 50 gmail invitations, this is a great invite only email service. Email me if you are interested.
cheshirelephant
Smile, it makes people wonder what your up to.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2005 09:54:29 PM »

ok....first let me say that I, having never worked with bias binding, didnt do so good of a job...but now that i know what I am doing...maybe the next one I make will come out looking half-way decent.....I decided after messing up my little zipper that i reall didnt need a coin pocket... Grin....Well after spending way to much time on it...here is my master piece!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/Jetofdarkness/S5300013.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/Jetofdarkness/walletinside.jpg
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011 04:59:50 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kgrl0831
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2005 06:42:26 AM »

For the bias binding could I just use strips of plain fabric? Also what did everyone use for the ID part?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
onemosphere
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2005 11:22:25 AM »

Dude, this tutorial was awesome.  Super easy to follow.  I made one, but without a zipper to hold the money in.  Here's my version:

And yes, that is Jamaican moola in my wallet.  Only because I needed to make a trip to the Tyme machine at the time of this picture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ragamufyn

White Chocolate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2005 01:08:14 PM »

Fantasmic job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Canvas Collage
A Guide to Scrapbooks Ideas
How to Find Scrapbook Stores
How to Organize Your Scrapbook Supplies
How to Make a Collage Sheet
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...