A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 301,510
Currently Running With Scissors:
434 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: sweetheart neckline bodice help  (Read 10352 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

msalowishus

Virginia is for lovers.

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2008 08:59:19 AM »

i am making the bodice for my halloween costume out of swimwear knit.i used a tutorial from whatthecraft to create a sweetheart neckline. my desire is for this to be strapless, but i don't really know how to make it stay up. because it is sweetheart, i can't just add a casing and elastic. i thought about just stretching some elastic across the inside of the back but i don't think that will work since the fabric itself is stretchy. does anyone have any ideas for ensuring it will stay up or do i just have to make straps? would just taking it in at the very top (above my boobs) solve this? i am hesitant to try something i am not positive will work because the bodice is fine other than this and i don't want to have to start over. any help would be greatly appreciated!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008 01:00:31 PM »

You need boning (which is actually plastic) You can buy packages or by the yard. I reccomend at least 4 pieces, but 6 often looks better. You probably have seams on the sides, put a piece of boning on each side right on the seams. If you have seams through the center of the bust line (princess seams) put boning there too, both front & back (this is your 6 pieces). If you don't have seams to tuck the boning into, it'll show a lot more & whether you can get away with it or not sorta depends on the overall style of the top.

Will you be wearing a bra with it? If the bra fits well you can always pin or tack the bra & top together to hold it in place. Warning! if the bra isn't a good tight fit it could double the trouble & really expose you in a bad situation.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
msalowishus

Virginia is for lovers.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008 02:24:16 PM »

if i put boning in the front does it go all the way to the top or stop at the bust line? what you have suggested may solve my problem but the part i am most worried about is the part directly around my boobs. it is just looser there. will the boning help that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008 07:04:13 PM »

from the inside of a swimsuit top, there is elastic on the edges and boning on the sides, usually. The elastic on the edges is there for the same reason it is on your panties, to hold it in tighter. You might also consider using sew in bra cups to give support.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008 07:37:16 PM »

The plastic boning lays flat against your body, but follows the profile contours of your body. So, depending on the style of the top it can go all the way from the bottom hem to the top hem, right over your boob or stop just underneath & meet a seam or underwire. Most lingere with boning stops under the boob, but meets an underwire.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Master Croc from Kung Fu Panda 2
How to Draw Marty from Madagascar 3
JonBurgerman TimeLapse
How to Draw Mike Wazowski from Monster Incorporated
How to Draw Master Thundering Rhino from Kung Fu Panda 2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...