A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,376
Currently Running With Scissors:
708 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Staying with 3yo in Hospital - How to make costumes?  (Read 978 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ndc
« on: October 12, 2008 08:07:31 AM »

My husband is willing to go to the fabric store and bring up my sewing machine. However, he needs VERY specific information on what to purchase.

Miss Chief, the 3 year old, wants to be a King similar to Pablo in the Tale of the Mighty Knights of Backyardigans.

Mr. B, my 9 year old, wants to be a wizard with a blue and silver theme.

Ideas on how to make this work from here? We're hanging out on the Oncology floor until Miss Chief's bone marrow starts to rebound and she stops having fevers. It could be a few more days or it could be a few more weeks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mom, wife, daughter, sister, sew-er, knitter, dreamer, Buddhist, homeschooler, Ninja Cancer Ass-Kicker for my daughter (she has leukemia), reader, thinker, liberal, greenie, tree-hugger.

And so forth
ndc
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008 08:19:49 AM »

I just found a free pattern for the capes at Simplicity.

But could still use advise on how to do the rest from here!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008 08:20:19 AM by ndc » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mom, wife, daughter, sister, sew-er, knitter, dreamer, Buddhist, homeschooler, Ninja Cancer Ass-Kicker for my daughter (she has leukemia), reader, thinker, liberal, greenie, tree-hugger.

And so forth
SewMamaLady

I heart handmade!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008 08:39:58 AM »

Right now they're selling packages of the white and white with black spotted fur strips for five or six dollars. I can't remember but they may be cheaper. I'll see if I can find the link.

Edit: They don't sell the trim online so n/m. They have a whole display of it though. I've seen that trim at most crafty stores though in the regular trim sections. You could probably even use a roll of super duper heat and bond for less sewing since you're in a hospital room. Bless your hearts. I just read your blog on your baby girl and my prayers go out to your family. She's a beautiful little girl and is lucky to have one dedicated mama.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008 09:15:59 AM by whitleeann » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homespun gifts for your friends and family!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/shallwespinmydear
Will be posting more items soon. Check back!
MTANDG
Trip the light Momtastic!

I painted this years ago, it is called The Dreamer

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008 09:00:24 AM »

you could use a bk crown and cover and embellish....cheesy I know but you can't tell once it has been decorated...I love that episode btw rockin music
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.momtasticstitchery.blogspot.com/

Yep I could do a personal swap!
miss_jms
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008 09:13:39 AM »

At walmart they have cheap(ish) fake velour that comes in red for around $3/yard and you could use a feather boa for the trimming (I think you could get that at claire's if you have a mall nearby).  At WM they also have blue velour, but it's a little more expensive per yard than the red (I had to buy both colors to make my sisters' costumes).  They are both polyester, so they are machine washable, they are just HARD to sew with Sad

Your family and especially your sweet daughter will be in my thoughts.  Hopefully she'll have a really great Halloween this year!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewMamaLady

I heart handmade!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008 09:17:51 AM »

Oh and a blue sweatsuit! That would be perfect. You can just add a little fleece or flannel yellow belly. We LOVE Pablo around here. I'm not kidding, we call him my ten month old's boyfriend because she shrieks in delight when he pops on the screen. She has since she was probably 2 or 3 months old. So we have all things Pablo in our house. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008 09:46:59 AM by whitleeann » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homespun gifts for your friends and family!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/shallwespinmydear
Will be posting more items soon. Check back!
dancedupapillon
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008 11:30:21 AM »

The crown can probably be made out of poster board and gold acrylic paint.  You could get stick on rhinestones and stuff to decorate it.

The tunic would probably be easy to put together, with some red velvet/velour.  See if your husband could find some faux fur trim at the fabric store, or even buy a small piece of faux-fur fabric that you could cut strips from.

As for a wizard, just about any fabric and trim in those colours would do, I think.  Again you can make a simple robe pretty easily (ask your husband to pick up a Simplicity Halloween costume pattern, there are always wizarts) and make a pointy hat with more poster board that you can cover with fabric.  If he wants a beard, you might try modifying a wig or something like that.

I think it's wonderful that you're making Halloween special despite a hospital stay.  Best wishes for your familly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
nikimac

28 and life to go

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008 01:54:16 PM »

What hospital are you at?  I'm sure with the huge expanse of Craftster people and the strong desire for almost anyone to help costume a sick little girl that you could get somebody on here to donate their time to bring you everything you would need.  That'd both free up your husband's time to spend more of it with the kids and you, and ensure that you actually get what you'd need for the costumes (not that all husbands are clueless when it comes to crafting, though, but you know).  I see you're in Colorado and I'm a little too far away to stop by (Washington), but perhaps there's someone else?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love planning parties - come to me if you need any ideas!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top 5 Winter Makeup Trends
How to Wear Bright Lipstick
Quick Tips for a Polished and Professional Makeup
Easy Mirror-Free Makeup Touch-Ups
2-Minute Beauty Tutorial for a Perfect Natural Look
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...