A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
618 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: share pizza tips (I like to use pitas)  (Read 2161 times)
Tags for this thread: grill , barbeque  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

breakin bishes
« on: October 12, 2008 05:33:25 AM »

I know there's another pizza topic but it's about dip... this isn't about dip. Doesn't pizza have enough calories?

Does anyone else make these? The crust turns out perfectly like thin-crust pizza. They are great for kids and adults. The pita is about 150 cals, the sauce is less than 50 cals (unless you use a ton) and the cheese is about 100 cals. Then whatever toppings you put on add minimal cals.

I can't stop making them. Does anyone wanna talk about it? The only tip I have to offer is to brush/spray (yes they have olive oil spray now!) the pita on both sides. And also before baking, if you want to use veggies, saute them for a little bit first. This seals in the water so that when they bake on the pizza, they do not make the crust soggy.

I make mine in the oven preheated to 400-410 degrees, right on the rack, for about 10 minutes. After baking, I let them sit a few minutes so they are easier to cut. Then, since I don't have a pizza wheel cutter thingy, I use a heavy cleaver or very sharp knife to cut them.

If you make your own pizzas--pita or other kind-- share your tips.

Oh and one last thing: I have made pita pizzas with old stale pitas that were way too hard to eat (lol) and they still baked up as perfect pizza crusts. Still better than any Boboli crap from the grocery store, and a million times healthier than delivery or frozen pizza.

My next step is to try and freeze the pizza (before baking) and see if it still comes out good.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
chocolatebutton
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008 05:53:49 AM »

i used to do the same sort of thing when i was younger but with french bread. i might have to give this a go as i have some pittas in the cupboard at the moment.
and i dont usually like meat on pizzas, ive mostly been having pizzas with mushroom and onion on, so i always end up using a frozen margherita pizza and chucking the toppings on it myself, but this version sounds a lot better. easier and healthier.
thanks for sharing the tip on the oil and sauteing the veggies  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Daymoth
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008 01:34:20 PM »

Ooh, I'm exited to try this. The kids all love pizza and have been dying to make a homemade one this sounds like a great super easy way for them to do just that without all the mess!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sonjabegonia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008 10:28:47 AM »

I like using both pitas and french bread for pizza bases.  Since I live alone, it's much "safer" to make a personal pizza than a large one!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Twitter - @snelsonchi
south2nd
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008 04:47:28 PM »

I like to use flour tortillas, both whole grain and plain. It makes a great, crispy crust.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Charley1980
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008 01:37:33 AM »

If you like a 'deep pan' then toasted split English muffins are great - ate these for most of my teenage years. Are great as they are snack size too, so great for portion control!   Also great to use pesto as a base instead of tomato sauce for a different flavour, and I often use barbecue sauce as my base and put diced onion chicken bacon and sweetcorn on top. Oh no, now I need to go make some Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beccabur
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008 09:11:22 PM »

I do it too!  I also put it on English muffins or regular bread.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SillySlippers
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008 08:41:16 PM »

My husband loves these! I found the idea in a grilling cookbook and converted time and temp for the oven.      8 minutes @ 350 degrees.  I want to try them on the grill, i think the pita will be crispier. We have a pizza restaurant in town that makes exotic pizzas.  They print detailed menus in the phone book so i will steal the ideas for home use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like I Know What I'm Doing
manpan
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008 09:43:03 PM »

I second the tortilla thing.  I also sometimes cook it right on a round, flat skillet on the stove instead of the oven- I guess it seems easier to me and the results are ok- just use a little cooking spray.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kawaiimaru

you're a rubber snake!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008 07:08:42 PM »

I DO THIS ALWAYS!
it really is my never fail fall back, for times when i have no food or motivation to go to the store, or am broke... haha

i always use whole wheat pita bread [its usually stale and has been in my fridge forev], the kind where the ingredients say "stone ground whole wheat, water" haha
and i will put literally ANYTHING on them... and its always interesting lol. i save the last bit of everything for future pita pizzas [i.e. the last 2 olives in a jar, or a Tbsp of taco meat, anything at all]
i bake them right on the oven rack so they get really crunchy Smiley

another thing i loooove is pita calzones. cut a slit in the top of the pita big enough for a spoon to fit into [make sure it doesnt go all the way through!] then use your finger [or a chopstick, theyre my favorite tool haha] to open up the inside of the pita, then spoon some pizza sauce into it, as much cheese as you want, and the toppings you want, [be careful not to overstuff though], brush it down with olive oil and bake @ 375-400 for 8-10 min
i like to make these, cool them down, and slice into 6 pieces and use in my lunch. theyre really good cold Smiley
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008 07:11:08 PM by kawaiimaru » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let's be spies...

and wear interesting hats!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Allure 2014 Beauty Blogger Awards Finalist AJ Schulz
Meet Allure 2014 Beauty Blogger Awards Finalist Marianna Hewitt
Meet Allure 2014 Beauty Blogger Awards Finalist Serein Wu
Meet Allure 2014 Beauty Blogger Awards Finalist Mallory Cornelison
Meet Allure 2014 Beauty Blogger Awards Finalist Tamira Laboy
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...