A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,370
Currently Running With Scissors:
600 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tent advice  (Read 1186 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tnt22
Candle-Bear

We're always touching by underground wires.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 11, 2008 10:11:24 PM »

I'm planning on buying a tent for the next craft fair I'm going to be in (www.Athensindiecraftstravaganzaa.com), and I was wondering if any of you had advice on which one to get.
Part of me feels I should go all out and purchase this one:
http://www.hutshop.com/ezupcanopies.html
But another part of me thinks I should get a cheaper one, like this:
http://www.golfoutletsusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?PCLinkID=2288
Would it be worth spending $260 on the fancy one, or should I just buy a cheaper one?

Thanks in advance,
T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Public school is a place where the sensitive experience a horrified dissociation from reality that can sometimes never fade away.
-- Nick Drake
outbackgirl
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008 03:26:36 PM »

I think you need to consider what you want from a tent.  Firstly, the tent won't actually 'make' any money.  It provides comfort/shade for you and your customers, but at the end of the day, the key thing is your product and customer service.  Think about how easy each tent is to erect (will you need a friend to help you or can you diy?)  And how sturdy are they - will it blow away/fall over/get broken after a few uses.  I'd be inclined to go for the cheaper option if you are still establishing your business.
My friend and i both have a stall at our local markets and we share a tent which we actually borrow off a friend each month.  Definitely essential in summer to keep the sun off - especially my friend's stall which is cakes/cookies. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

donnascc
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008 03:44:33 AM »

I've used a First-Up tent from Wal-Mart (around $90) for several months now.  It can be put up by one person, but it's easier with two.  I've found mine to be quite sturdy, as long as it is properly staked and roped.  Mine, with the optional wind curtains installed and properly staked and roped, has held up to 40 mph wind gusts without damage - the frame flexed, but it held.  When it's time to leave for the 1st or 2nd evening of the 3-day fair, I just zip up the wind curtain and go home.  The next morning, unzip and I'm ready for business.  I've since outgrown the 10x10 space and my husband uses the tent for shelter when he flies his RC helicopter.  A lot of vendors at my fair use the First-Ups.  When my husband and I attended an RC helicopter event in September, there were probably a dozen or so First-Ups in use, easily half the tents there.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Snoutmamma
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008 07:03:30 AM »

Hi Everybody, (my first post)

I want to buy a tent canopy and a seasoned vendor told me that she bought a EZ Up canopy because the legs are not slanted versus a Walmart kind which has slanted legs. She said most spaces are 10 X 10 and the EZ Up fits within that space and does not hang over into your neighbor's space. Just wanted to throw that out there.

She got her EZ Up at Sam's Club for $260 and that included all the wind flaps and whatever else comes with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
embroiderywitch
embroiderywitch

Unique Gifts For Unique People

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008 03:54:01 PM »

I just purchased a new tent. We had purchased 2 from EZ UP(the Ambassedor model and AmbassadorII) and had terrible luck with them.
The last one was only set up 3 times and the frame broke in several places and was a mess.
I have heard that the caravan tents do well, and the commercial EZ UP. I just purchased this one at
www.elitedeals.com for 299.00 It has 4 side walls, the rolling carry case, and has a 2 year manufaturers warranty. When I told the customer service rep about the problems we had with our previous EZ UP products, she said that was why the AmbassadorII was discontinued-was sold at SAMS.
Good luck withwhatever you choose to buy. Make sure you make heavy weights for the legs so that it doesn't try to fly away in a wind.

Colleen Mills
C&S Embroidery and Gifts
Kansas
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dissatisfaction as a Defining Quality of Great Designers
Maya Romanoff Receives a Lifetime Achievement Award
Visit the Cincinnati Contemporary Arts Center
Grange Insurance Audubon Center: Interior
Case Study: Grange Insurance Audubon Center
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce
Mountain Views
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...