A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,924
Currently Running With Scissors:
460 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bottlecap Charms  (Read 35225 times)
Tags for this thread: bottle_cap  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Gwynevere
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2009 06:20:07 PM »

Those are really neat, I might have to think about trying that sometime soon.

Here's a thought: why not make some where the image bleeds on purpose? (Ohhhh, I'm feeling rebellious now!!!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cimberb
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009 09:35:43 AM »

Just another question for everyone who makes these... do you fill it up to the top or not with your resin or whatever fill you are using?

I found out when wanting a runny image and using a charm is the best looking for a necklace or a charm of some sort, where it is the focus piece.
Also I found spray painting is the easiest way to cover the backs if you want to sell them without the companies getting angry. I want to take this craft back up since i have collected many bottle caps.

What is an awl? Never heard of it and i have no idea how to puncture these things. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Currently redoing my house-looking for personal swaps to add touches. Smiley
vegebrarian

I brake for kitsch!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2009 10:07:36 AM »

I fill them almost to the top. Sometimes after they dry I will fill in another layer.

I just clamp the bottlecap in a vise and use a hammer and nail to make a hole for a jump ring.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

provides 100% of your daily recommended allowance of glitter
scoutOK
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2010 09:50:09 AM »

I am having trouble with the ink bleeding on mine even after using acrylic sealer!  I am printing on my HP inkjet printer and using diamond glaze.  It is getting very frustrating!  I am wondering if it is the brand of ink or the printer.  Red and pink colors seem to be the worst. Any thoughts or suggestions??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artich0ke
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2010 08:42:17 AM »

I love that little deer one  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/artich0ke
lacey0828
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2010 12:54:08 PM »

I love these, but I can't figure out how to make my own images. I have a ton of bottlecaps, but until I can find cute pics for them, mine will just sit in a jar.
I am having trouble with the ink bleeding on mine even after using acrylic sealer!  I am printing on my HP inkjet printer and using diamond glaze.  It is getting very frustrating!  I am wondering if it is the brand of ink or the printer.  Red and pink colors seem to be the worst. Any thoughts or suggestions??
It is probably running because of a combination of the paper and the ink. You might need some kind of waterproof ink. So, that's basically the reason I can't figure out how to make my own. Also, I can't find anything the right size on the internet for pictures either.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vegebrarian

I brake for kitsch!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2010 11:56:00 AM »

I had to seal all of mine with clear packing tape or contact paper to prevent the colors from bleeding. Perhaps you will have luck with another method, but I had smeared pictures otherwise.

If you want to use pics from the internet, try inserting them into a Word document and resizing them.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

provides 100% of your daily recommended allowance of glitter
suereal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2010 12:55:32 PM »

Thanks to the Steampunk Charm swap  I have been goofing around with A. thinking about doing resin..finally (had the kit for over a year now) B. other options for that look.  I used some Weldbond (I buy it at HomeDepot) to very thickly cover the back of a road kill wild bottle cap.  It was kinda dished, so it was really thick in the middle.  It took 2 weeks to become completely clear but it did, eventually, dry all the way thru.  Loven Weldbond.  I have not done many stress tests with the stuff, but it seems to be great to bond everything 'cept smooth metal to smooth metal.  It's like really thick white school glue, and I have never noticed a smell...tho I think I also have never out and out tried to smell it either.  And it is pretty cheap I think, specially compared to resin.  Bought a 227ml/8fl.oz. for about 5 bucks CAN.....huh...I just read the bottle and it is a Canadian product.  SO here is the web link:

http://www.weldbond.com/

Hope it helps some one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm taking a brake from craftsters. 
I will finish the swaps I'm in...promise Grin
crazydoc
"Never, ever give up" - Winston Churchill "Never, ever grow up" - Dr. Seuss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2010 02:38:50 PM »

And it is pretty cheap I think, specially compared to resin.  Bought a 227ml/8fl.oz. for about 5 bucks CAN.....huh...I just read the bottle and it is a Canadian product.  SO here is the web link:

This is fabulous info. Looks like Ace Hardware carries in the USA. Definitely going to give this a try.

For some strange reason, I'm a bit intimidated by resin! I have some polyester resin (didn't use it, found out the epoxy sort was probably better for what I want to do), and have some of the epoxy sort on order. Don't know why, but it just seems . . . scary!

I think I'll try with this WeldBond stuff first, work up my nerve, and THEN jump in to resin.

Thanks for the info.

~CD~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shhhhhhhhh...it's Strictly Top Secret...
strictlytopsecret.etsy.com
tsubasa-no-kami
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2010 07:26:58 PM »

I'm going to try to make some cute bottle cap charms too! x) If you're putting an image down- do you modeg-podge and wait for it to dry or do you just put it down and fill with resin?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Tutu Dress
The Wildlife Pins of George G. Harris
Ryan at the Hot Shop
Turning Crafts Into Cash
How to Make a Guitar Pick from a Gift Card
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...