A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Travel Wallet NOW WITH TUTORIAL!! pg. 1  (Read 24479 times)
Tags for this thread: wallet , travel_wallet , passport_wallet , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stitch81
« on: October 11, 2008 09:39:20 AM »

Okay, this was NOT my design.  I saw it here http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=210094.0
and decided to give it a try...I'm very pleased with it, but I'm having trouble with the snaps...they keep pulling out of the fabric... I used interfacing and fused both sides of material together to strengthen it, but it still pulls out after 2 or 3 uses of the snap...any ideas?

Anyway...here is my travel wallet

First of all I need to say that I have gained alot of respect for all of you who have posted your tutes!  It's a lot of work!!!!!  I know I made one before, but I didn't write down the measurements or anything, so I got to stumble through it twice!  Now at least I have the directions for the next one.  Enjoy, and I hope my tutorial is easy to understand...

Here is the TUTORIAL !!!!
Here is the finished product...it is a bit different than the one I made above...I didn't write out my measurements the first time...

Step 1-  Iron out your fabric!!!!  If your stash is anything like mine, you have some stuff semi-folded, and some just tossed into bags.  lol.  Smooth flat fabric works better!!

Step 2-  Cut out all your pieces and LABEL them...you will need...

A- 10 1/2 in H x 12in. W  Cut 2.  This is your outside piece and inside piece. 
      cut 2 pieces of think interfacing the same size.
B-  10 1/4 in. H x 5 1/2 in. W  Cut 2.  This will be your plane ticket holder
C-  4 3/4in. H x 5in. W.  Cut 2.  This will be your passport holder
D-  3 1/2in. H x 3 1/4in. W.  Cut 2.  This will be your driver's license holder
E-  10 1/2in H x 6in. W.  Cut 4 (2 outer fabric, 2 inner fabric) This will be your zippered
      pouch
F-  2 1/2in. H x 4 1/2in W.  Cut 2.  This is the flap for your coin pouch.
     Cut 1 interfacing piece the same size.
G-  3 1/2in H. x 4 1/2in W.  Cut 2.  This is the main part of your coin pouch
H-  5 3/4in H. x 4in. W.  Cut 2. This is your credit card holder.
I-   1 1/2in H. x 3in. W.  Cut 2.  This is your snap closure for the travel wallet.
J-   1 1/2in. wide elastic

1   12in. zipper
2 sets of snaps...I use the pearl snaps.  I had some plain ones but they were really crappy.

WE ARE USING 1/4inch seam allowance throughout the tutorial unless otherwise noted!!   And make sure you keep each piece labeled as you work with it, it will make it easier to identify which piece you need to be working with during each step.

Step 3:  We will work with piece " B " first.  Place the 2 pieces right sides together.  From the top left corner, measure down 4 inches and mark, then from the top left corner, measure right 4 inches and mark.  Cut diagonally.

Pin together and sew around leaving 1 or 2 inches open at the bottom.  Clip corners, turn rightside out, press, and press the opening closed.  Topstitch as close to the edge as you can.

For pieces C, D, & H... Place the 2 respective pieces right sides together.  Pin together and sew around leaving 1 or 2 inches open at the bottom.  Clip corners, turn rightside out, press, and press the opening closed.  Topstitch as close to the edge as you can.

For pieces F, G, & I... Iron the interfacing to the wrong side of one of the pieces of fabric for each F, G , & I.   Place the 2 respective pieces right sides together.  Pin together and sew around leaving 1 or 2 inches open at the bottom.  Clip corners, turn rightside out, press, and press the opening closed.  Topstitch as close to the edge as you can.

Step 4:
We will start working with pieces E now.  Follow this tutorial to assemble the zippered pouch, but DO NOT sew the sides or bottom!!!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=22875.0
Finished it will look like this...

Step 5:
We will be assembling the left side now.
1st- Take piece C and lay it out in front of you.  Take piece D and place it on top of piece C.  Pin D in place and sew along the sides and bottom, leaving the top open.  You will be sewing along your topstitch line.

Next, lay out piece B in front of you.  Place C & D that you just sewed together on top of piece B.  Pin in place and sew along sides and bottom, leaving top open, sewing along your topstitch line.

Step 6:  Assembling the right side...

Lay out your zippered pouch

Position piece H about 3/4in. from the bottom and about 1 inch from the right side.  Pin in place.  Sew along your topstitch line around the top, right side and bottom, leaving the left side open, find the middle (horizontally) and sew a line to divide H into 2 sections for credit cards.

Next place piece G right above piece H (with the bottom of G almost touching the top of H, and with the right sides flush).  Pin in place and sew along the topstitch line leaving the top open.  Position piece F above piece G, making sure the top of F is at least 3/4in. from the top of your zippered pouch material.  Sew along the top of F.

Now mark where you want your snaps on your coin pouch.  Attach your snaps.

Now fold your zippered pouch almost in half.  Your zipper should be flat facing upward.  Iron flat, expecially iron the crease next to the zipper.  Turn zipper pouch over.  You will have some excess material.  Trim this off.  Now set this aside for a minute.
I forgot to take a pic of just the pouch, so ignore the stuff on the left...that is coming next. 

Step 7:  The outer pieces...

Take pieces " A " and iron the interfacing to the wrong sides of each piece of fabric.  Lay out the inside piece of piece A with the right side facing upward.

Lay B,C & D on the left side 1/2 inch from the left side and equal distance from the top and bottom.  Pin in place and stitch along the leftside, bottom, and right side.  Do not stitch the small part of the top or any part of the diagonal line.

Next.  Lay your zippered pouch on the right side.  The top, left side, and bottom should all match up with your inner piece A.  Pin in place and sew using just a bit less than 1/4 in. seam allowance.

Next, take your piece of elastic, fold in half, and with the raw edges just under the zipper, sew in place, using again the 1/4in. seam allowance.

Now we are going to attach our closure flap.  Place the flap as shown in the picture. Stitch it down.

Now.  Place the outer layer of piece A down with right side down.  Place the inner layer of piece A on top.  Fold in half and mark snap placement.  Attach snaps.

Now, take your out layer and place on top of your inner layer with right sides together.  Make sure your snaps are on opposite ends, and your closure flap is tucked back inside.  This picture doesn't show the flap tucked back in, but make sure you tuck it back in!

Pin in place and sew all around using the 1/4 in. seam allowance.  Leave about a 4 inch opening on the left side (by the ticket holder).  clip corners, turn and press.  Topstitch, and voila! You have a travel wallet!!!

I apologize for the sideways pictures.  I edited them in Craftster, but for some reason they didn't stay rotated....

« Last Edit: October 15, 2008 05:00:23 PM by stitch81 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Unfinished Projects
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008 10:15:06 AM »

That's really cute!   As far as the snaps, you probably should have put them on before the sewing was done - it's probably too think afterwards with all the interfacing and stuff.  You could try velcro or a sew-on snap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stitch81
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008 10:32:32 AM »

The first try, I attached the snaps through only one layer of fabric and it ripped out right away...the second attempt, I redid the flap with interfacing then attached the snap, but same thing, pulled out after a couple uses.  Guess I will just have to take it apart and use velcro.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cookiecutter
Finding my Joy!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008 11:15:23 AM »

That fabric is fabulous...love it!  Are you using magnetic snaps?  If so, I noticed that you must use the backing piece or it will pull out after a few uses.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We were created in His image, given the gift of creating.  How will you use your gifts?
little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008 11:23:31 AM »

Very nice wallet. One tip for the snap would be to use a piece of stiff interfacing where the snap attaches to the back of the fabric, then use fusible interfacing  between the lining & the main fabric which would kind of bond the 2 fabrics together & help w/the pulling. I did that w/a checkbook cover I made & it helped a lot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

animegirlie
crafty nerdy girl

just make stuff!!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008 01:10:29 PM »

oh my gosh - I hadn't seen the original one - but I desperately need one of these!!

I love it!! excellent job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

New Craft Blog - best way to contact me right now is via the bloggie Smiley

Wists are a wonderful thing!

Want a sticker?
IllusionsOfNormal

Some pursue happiness, others CREATE it!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008 05:50:14 AM »

I love your wallet!  The fabric is a great choice & I don't think switching to black velcro will hurt anything if the snap doesn't work out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."

my wists:  www.wists.com/IllusionsOfNormal
lowree
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008 07:51:59 AM »

OMG i love this too!! you did an EXCELLENT job!
As far as the snap goes, you do need to double / triple the interfacing/stabilizer with a few layers, in using a heavier stabilizer. If it is a magnetic snap you still would need to do the same being sure that you double up the stabilizer.

I have  made several wallets on my own using my own patterns and even though I've never had a problem with the snaps pulling away, the problem i have is when I am at the check out trying to snap the darn thing, it takes a little longer etc.

Switiching to velcro is probably your better option anyway...I do love the look of a snap closure however when you are in a hurry the velcro catches no matter what and it's faster instead of fiddling around trying to snap it.

I absolutly love this style and I think the next purse i make, i am going to use this wallet tut instead of spending all day in trying to create my own!

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JerseyGal
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008 07:18:28 AM »

Very nice!

When I make a travel wallet or anything that will carry a credit card or any card that has a magnetic strip on it, I do not use a magnetic snap as it will erase the strip on the card and then your card will not work.
Love the magnetic snaps ($$ though) but in this case I would stick to a button/loop regular snap, or Velcro.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
capow
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008 07:16:41 PM »

that came out very nice! Beautiful work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

capow.etsy.com
www.capowcapow.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Garam Masala Is Used in Indian Recipes
How Fenugreek Is Used in Indian Recipes
How Cardamom Is Used in Indian Recipes
How to Make Tandoori Chicken Marinade
How Asafetida Is Used in Indian Recipes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...