A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,646
Currently Running With Scissors:
723 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sleeve Chaos! Someone Help!  (Read 453 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

roseangelhope
« on: October 10, 2008 07:55:05 PM »

Alright so I wanted to make this dress from an inspiration of a couple things and it is almost done besides a couple hems...however when I sewed in the sleeves I could of almost screamed.

The sleeves slide off my shoulders... leaving virtually no support to keep the dress up besides keeping my arms tucked under my arms.
* It can go up, it just doesn't have the will to as shown in this picture

I seriously need some help here my fellow crafters....please help. I do have this choker necklace that is not pictured that ties around my neck. Maybe i can connect something to that to hold up the sleeves? I'm not sure but please help! ( also sorry for the shaky pictures)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008 08:30:00 PM by roseangelhope » THIS ROCKS   Logged
htgerman
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008 02:18:21 AM »

Alright so I wanted to make this dress from an inspiration of a couple things and it is almost done besides a couple hems...however when I sewed in the sleeves I could of almost screamed.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f113/blackroseheart/projects/img025.jpg[/img]

The sleeves slide off my shoulders... leaving virtually no support to keep the dress up besides keeping my arms tucked under my arms.
* It can go up, it just doesn't have the will to as shown in this picture

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f113/blackroseheart/projects/img030.jpg[/img]

I seriously need some help here my fellow crafters....please help. I do have this choker necklace that is not pictured that ties around my neck. Maybe i can connect something to that to hold up the sleeves? I'm not sure but please help! ( also sorry for the shaky pictures)

Hi! To start, the top is really cute. The sleeves do need some changes though. The neckline is very wide and sewing the sleeves that far out to the side leave them with "nothing to hold on to". The red line in the pic below indicates where the sleeve should sit but even then, considering the slope of your shoulder (the blue line), it might slip down.

Two things I can suggest you try:
  • if you think of wearing a bra you could sew a little loop (closed with a press button) from the inside to the top of the sleeve and pull the loop through the bra strap so the bra strap holds up the sleeve. This is often done for flamenco dresses to prevent the sleeve from slipping down when dancers drop the shoulders while dancing. Considering the wide neckline this might not be great though since the bra strap would probably sit where the red line in the pic is and show
  • you could connect the tops of the sleeves with a strip of fabric - perhaps elastic, skin colour or from the material of the top - and wear it behind the neck. With the choker on it might not show too much or you make it a design detail.
Obviously, these are "quick fixes". They are easy to try and might work. Alternatively, you'd have to make some not so trivial changes to the neckline/sleeves.

If you want to stick with the very wide neckline consider something along these lines

It is closed at the back and you might not want that but it would definitely work for the shape of your shoulder. While you're at it, a square neckline a little lower than yours is very flattering:

You could also leave the top without sleeves. When it is a bit cold for wearing a sleeveless top add a back part to the sleeves and wear it a bit like a short cardigan over the top.

Hope this helps you finish this beautiful work.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2008 06:58:46 AM by jungrrl - Reason: Please remove IMG tags when quoting! Thanks! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mystico_tala
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008 07:38:15 AM »

It is a little hard to tell the design of the shirt, but would putting elastic or a drawstring in work?  Kind of peasant shirt style?
I love the first shirt that htgerman posted, I think that would be a very flattering sleeve style!
Also, I know that a lot of Indian blouses have drawstrings on the back, if you think that might work with the style of your blouse.
Like this:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Blog
htgerman
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008 07:54:41 AM »

This is pretty much what I had in mind with the second "quick fix". Thanks for the photo, it illustrates it perfectly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

roseangelhope
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008 08:16:32 AM »

Thank you both very much for replying. I will have to look at my dress later for alterations. I got called into work so I don't have time now. But thank you!  And I shall post my final product sometime.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Dupliverts in Blender
How to Make a Blender Video Tutorial
How to Use Blender: Advanced Vital Functions
How to Use Photoshop - Dramatic Skies
SURIMPRESSIONS - GUACOLDA
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...