A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,705
Currently Running With Scissors:
751 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Easy padded laptop sleeve *TUTORIAL included*  (Read 14631 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MBOYD50403
« on: October 10, 2008 07:19:54 AM »

Here is a tutorial I thought I'd post because it is soooo easy and quick to make.
Showing my laptop inside.

Here's how you do it:
You will need to have a bit of velcro on hand if you want to have the flap that closes it.  You will also need to have some non-slip rug liner.  This is what gives you the padding. See the picture below.
1.)  Measure your notebook or laptop from the center of one side to the center of the opposite side. ( My sides were nearly 1" deep, so this step is crucial.  Don't just measure from side to side, lay your tape measure down each edge so that you get a true accounting of the amount of fabric needed.)  Do this from top to bottom as well.  You will need to add now for seam allowances.  ADD ONE INCH to 3 sides and 2" to the side where you want your opening to be.  It is necessary to add a full 1" as it can be difficult to work with if the seam is too small.  You can trim later.
2.)  Cut out 1 piece of main fabric and 3 pieces of contrasting fabric to these measurements. 
3.)  Add iron-on interfacing to one piece of main fabric and one piece of contrasting fabric.  These will be the outside of your sleeve.  Here is the front with the interfacing added.

4.)  Cut 2 pieces of the non-slip rug liner and pin them to the 2 remaining pieces of fabric.  Sew theses down in a grid fashion so that it stays in place.  (You must place the rug backing down when sewing, not up as the machine will not accept it facing the needle).   I did a large X, with several more lines running through.  You will need to slightly pull this through your machine as it is non-slip and doesn't really want to go through your feed dogs.  A thing I did was to draw my lines on the fabric so I could keep them straight.

5.)  Next you are just going to sew it up (3 sides only now!) into a pocket. Both exteriors (interfaced) together and both linings together.  When you come to the corners, treat them like this.  Sew about 3-5 stitches across the corner.  You will get a much sharper corner when you turn it.

6.)  Now....trim.  Trim well, especially the corners.  Turn right side out and iron well.  At this point you want to turn under the top edges and top-stitch across it all.  You can trim this way down if you need to in order to reduce bulk.  If you'd like, make a flap and stick it in there in the center and sew it down when you top stitch.  Add the velcro on the tab as well as a bit on the bag.  It's a good idea to put your laptop in and make sure you don't want it a bit snugger (I prefer mine quite snug) and to position the flap and velcro.  I hope this is something that someone will enjoy making and using.   Wink I have no idea how to get this to the tutorial page...anyone?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008 07:22:15 AM by MBOYD50403 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
artist.nerd.musiclover
wanna-be graphic designer

"Peace, love, and math!" ~David Krumholtz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008 07:38:49 AM »

Very cute!  I really like it (and I'm sure my Mac would too.  LOL!).  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tamschro
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008 11:07:06 AM »

Looks great, going to have to make one for my MacBook
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PrincessJasmine
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008 09:14:45 PM »

Very cute! and clever of you to use the non-slip rug thingy.  I was thinking about making one and couldn't come up with any ideas of what to use for this.  I think I have some shelf liner that is made of similar stuff.  Great tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chrissiemags
Chrissie's Custom Creations

Is there such a thing as too much fabric or ribbon

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008 09:26:14 PM »

Great tut, thanks for sharing...this will be perfect for my laptop  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chrissie's Custom Creations
~Offering Laser Cut Scrapbook Embellishments~ Trendy & Classic Hair Accessories~ Cute as Can be Bottle Cap Images~Bottle Cap Jewelry
mhills

That's A Stitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008 06:19:54 AM »

Great tutorial.. I am going to try.  I was thinking about making one with a zipper but the velcro will be much easier
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wickedviolet

Running with needles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008 07:31:19 AM »

This is so cute! I love your fabric choice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Social interaction, creative marketing, making dreams happen & craftiness: LisaAshby.com
Creative Inspiration: Craft & Creative
Debt-Free Podcast: Rebound
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Off Book: Lego Art
Jim Power and the Mosaic Trail
The Brass Ring Project
The Art of Wax Sculpting
The Guinness Museum of Automata
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...