A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,048
Currently Running With Scissors:
402 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My London travel journal, -collage mostly-  (Read 5765 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 10, 2008 04:26:40 AM »

I was inspired by a post by phizzychick, she used a book made by rackycoo, for her travle journal. i am completely converted to this way of keeping a record of travels. I found that at the end of a long day, I dont tend to be great at writing about my day, I always keep ephemera to scrapbook photos later, but generally the photos stay on the computer and the ephemera piles up. So this technique is brilliant!

I was in london for 5 days, I used a simple drawing book, with plain pages. Before I left I colourwashed the pages with watercolour paint....so much better than being intimidated by a blank page! I brought just a gluestick and black pen with me. (used a scissors when I got there though) These are the pages.

First day, simply the journal, arriving in London, including some found items, key (very well driven over by London Buses) and feathers. I love how this technique connects in a more direct way to the unconscious, this became a mediation on flight and home, and dislocation.

First full day, saturday,  I had promised to take my daughter to Camden market, its all goth stuff mostly. with some head shops and general emo and a very teenage vibe (she loved it so did I, she needs to get a new mother if she wants to rebel with clothing etc!)

later that day I went to the east end, to feed my fabric addiction, it's a multicultural community, but largely indian, bangladeshi and west indian.

Sunday was a day at the markets, when I found this day of craft, cocktails and cupcakes three of my favourite things, so I had to go. (this is my favourite page) cross stitch is not my favourite thing, but cocktails (served in china cups) and cupcakes (served on tiered serving dishes, made from old records...brilliant!) are, I spend three hours there,

then the last day, Monday,  was in the west end, that was bookshops, chinese food and wandering through soho, all of the phone boxes get plastered with these cards. Oh and a visit to an old fashioned sweet shop. I quite like the juxtaposition of the two images the cards, and the sweet shop)

woo hoo, I've finally figured out my scanner, so more pix!

This

« Last Edit: October 10, 2008 04:28:09 PM by edel » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008 04:48:59 AM »

I hope you can sort your picture loading problem out, these look fantastic! I love the ink doodling.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hockamama
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008 05:33:47 AM »

that's great, what a brilliant way to journal!  I, too, hope you get your uploading issues straightened out, both for you and us, I can't wait to see the rest of it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A work of art is the unique result of a unique temperament.
  ~Oscar Wilde

wistpinterestfacebook
ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008 06:25:27 AM »

beautiful work!
Cant wait to see the rest of your book,
regards
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
sajona
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008 06:27:19 AM »

that looks great so far - look forward to seeing the rest!
Was wondering where you lived when I saw stansted..and of course..ryanair! you poor thing LOL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My biz page on FB: https://www.facebook.com/CarolinePearceKnitwear
My blog: http://sajona.blogspot.com/
My flikr:http://www.flickr.com/photos/95027356@N00/sets/72157602013921043
cassette.

writer.photographer.artist.frustrated seamstress.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008 03:39:20 AM »

I'm surprised you haven't got more comments and compliments on this, I think it's fantastic. It's interesting to see different people's perceptions of one place; did you travel to the city from abroad? because I'm in the UK, (born in London actually) and when I stay there with friends, I think I record a lot of different things. I love the key and feathers, it's strange how things can spark off whole threads of contemplation on where you're going, and why, and how you feel about the world. I keep meaning to stick old 'cold & flu remedy' packets in my sketchbook, though, so... that's kind of fairly transparent as an indication of how I'm feeling... Roll Eyes

I'd be interested to see other travelling journals of yours, if you're willing to share - this one seems full of exciting things, and you've clearly got a keen decorative sense!

keep up the good work ~ Cheesy
speak to you soon.
cassette.x
THIS ROCKS   Logged
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008 07:37:35 AM »

thank you all for the positive comments on this. It is so nice to get feedback when trying something new.

cassette, thanks for your kind words...I used to live in London, i live in Ireland now, my ex husband still lives there and so going back is an opportunity for our daughter to spend time with her dad, I have other travel journals but they tend to be more traditional scrapbook mode, with photos and narrative. I particularly love this technique as going to London from my little village is always a bit of sensory overwhelm (no matter that i know the place well) not to mention staying with my ex etc. so being freed of the need to journal, when I am tired and cranky is hugely liberating. and then without the narrative of 'I went to xxx and did yyy', other connections seem to happen and unconscious ideas get worked out.

of course the fact that its a small page and a defined canvas is also great for me, I tend to have a bit of ADD when it comes to crafts, I am a complete dilettante and so having a focus of one page and one day, creates boundaries which are sorely needed for me lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sajona
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008 08:59:20 AM »

i love the extra pages you've just posted - especially the cross stitch page - sounds like the kind of thing I'd like too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My biz page on FB: https://www.facebook.com/CarolinePearceKnitwear
My blog: http://sajona.blogspot.com/
My flikr:http://www.flickr.com/photos/95027356@N00/sets/72157602013921043
Bork
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008 03:00:00 PM »

This is so amazing.  I'm incredibly jealous, it's a dream to go to London. 

I have to say that I LOVE that you included The Dresden Dolls on one of your pages.  They make me smile.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GiddyUpMunky

Double stuffed baby!

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008 05:05:45 PM »

I think that a) this is awesome and b) if I ever visit London, I'm going to use this as a guide for where to go. Everywhere you went sounds and looks like it was amazing. Seriously, great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Wear Marchesa On Your Nails
Tips On How To Hide Puffy Eyes
Dating Advice from Tyler Blackburn
Try Colored Eye Liner for Back-To-School!
The Prettiest, Two-Product Makeup Look!
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...