A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
431 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My to-do list just got SO long... yikes!  (Read 1197 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cjclark
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.

Inside a dog it's too dark to read.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 09, 2008 08:53:11 PM »

So, my husband and I share the "hobby" room in our house. It has all of his ham radio stuff in it, two huge Amish built oak bookcases (full), a big desk, my sewing table, the LoveSac, and boxes of things that need to go in the closet. I asked him tonight to help me get it organized cause I can't even think in there much less be creative (it's supposed to be my office too but it's too crammed). Long story short, we went through everything and I found SO many quilt projects I forgot I had. I could be sewing well into 2010 on this stuff! Here's my list of UFOs -

1. stack and whack quilt (twin) with back almost done - I've just asked my Mom if I send it all to her if she'll quilt it on her longarm...woo!
2. The camping quilt - denim and flannel, relatively new project, for our camper that I can sew patches on that we collect when we visit new places. Hoping to finish by Christmas to wrap up for DH.
2. Jacob's Ladder blocks - enough for a table runner with four square blocks left over to make at least four place mats, perfect match for our new dining room. All I need is some accent fabric.
3. Grey, red and yellow "mystery quilt" blocks that never got put together.
4. VW wallhanging...insanely bright fabric
5. Boxer shorts wallhanging - tiny little boxers all over
5. fabric and pattern for Valentine wallhanging
5. enough scraps of green minky and camo flannel to make a baby quilt (left from one I made before). Already cut into squares.
6. 3 flannel raggedy baby size quilts half done - rows made, but not joined together.
7. Eight (yes, eight) of the same Christmas wallhanging, each needs tree and buttons added, quilted, bound. I WILL finish at least one for Christmas 08!
8. Three squares of a crazy pattern called rick-rack pies.
9. An adventure quilt my Mom and I started when I was in high school (I've already had my 10 year reunion). Few blocks done.
10. "Friends" wallhanging top.
11. 2 crib sized crazy nine patch quilt tops.
12. one half quilted place mat.
13. wool felt and twill table runner - lots of hand sewing on that one to do
14. "chocolate quilt" block of the month. Few blocks done, all fabric is there
15. "batik mystique" block of the month, one block done, only have four blocks.
16. 10 Dear Jane blocks in batiks (and I lost the computer CD so I could make paper piecing patterns).
17. 10 4 inch swap blocks
18. "My favorite things" applique quilt, top done
19. "Fish Fandango" paper pieced, most of the blocks done
20. 3 scarves on the knitting needles
21. yarn for at least 6 dish cloths
22. wallhanging with embroidered center piece

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. There are other groups of fabric that have a theme (surfing, asian stuff) that haven't been made into anything yet.

My husband also needs a Christmas stocking before Christmas.

So due to the lovely economy, I am on a UFO and stash-busting mission! :-) I will not buy any new "projects" (except the stocking supplies) until June 2009 at least. I will purchase accent fabrics to finish a project (like the table runner and place mats) or backing and binding fabrics. Also batting so I can finish things.

Anyone want to join me? What UFOs (unfinished objects) are lurking in YOUR closet?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008 08:53:59 PM by cjclark » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Woohoo! Baby Clark is on the way. Due October 24th.
SewHelpMe
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008 06:55:57 AM »

Holy Shamoly!  You've got a TON of UFOs!

My UFO list is MUCH smaller:
1.  Four quilts that have the backing fabric already bought and washed.  All I have to do is piece the fabric, have them quilted and sew on the binding.
2.  Now if you're talking scrapbooking:  I have months (okay, years) of photos that need layouts...

Doesn't sound like much, but I'm dragging me feet and feel like I'l NEVER get around to it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cjclark

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008 04:43:48 PM »

I know... nuts, right? It made me wonder if I have ADD or something! Oh well. I'll get them done. This is the first time I actually have a sewing room and space to sew which helps a lot. May explain all the UFOs from the past. :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smudgycat
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008 08:59:33 PM »

I have a pile of UFOs as well, but not as much time to work on them all.

-King size quilt made of disappearing 9-patch.  I have about 9 squares finished.  Everything else is pinned and ready for sewing.
-A fabric origami quilt.  I cut enough to make a king size quilt (I think), but I've only actually finished 1 block (not a good beginner quilt project)
-A winter wall hanging for over our bed.  It was a kit I got over the summer at Air Venture. 
-A Feliz Navidad wall hanging I want to finish for Christmas.  It's got super bright fabrics and this material that you iron into your own 'fabric' stuff for the ornaments.  A very cool kit.
-A Christmas stocking that needs a cuff.
-A Christmas tree skirt that needs quilting.

The problem I have with some of my UFOs is that my skills really sucked when I started them (the stocking and tree skirt, specifically) so I really hate how unprofessional they look.  So annoying.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got a handful of vintage patterns up for trade/swap (1950s/60s): Monograms, embellished bags, men's robe, lace work, spats/bags, bell bottom, mod dress.  PM if interested.
cjclark

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008 09:17:42 PM »

I have that problem with some of my older stuff as well. If I really like it, I try and fix it. If it's quilt squares or a top, I'll finish it off, use it for binding practice (which I suck at) and then donate it to somewhere that gives it to someone less fortunate. I mean, I wouldn't donate it if it was crap but if I don't like the colors as much or my seams don't line up as well as I'd like or something like that I will pass it on to someone who will appreciate it more (I hope).

But yeah...

My DH spent a lot of time today clearing out the office/hobby room so now I have space for my computer AND my sewing machine. I am itching to get some serious work done for Christmas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Linnybelle
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008 09:43:59 AM »

I at the moment am doing the same mission.  Here's my list:

-full size log cabin wedding quilt for a friend.  It still needs to be quilted and bound.
-black/batik magic lantern, queen size quilt.  Needs batting, backing, quilting, and binding.
-tye dye/white queen size top.  will be fleece backed, still needs backing and quilting.
-baby quilt that's been sold to my mom, need to fix seam as my machine tried to eat it.
-three sets of six, sadly none matching the other, quilt squares.  Diamonds, log cabin, and friendship stars.  No idea what to do with them as I don't have backing fabric or anything else for any of them.

That's all the quilting projects, I have two boxes of other bits and pieces that I have no idea what to do with that are crying out for finishing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for postcards from anywhere to use for RSVP cards for my 8/2012 wedding.  Have 80/200.
nilmerg

I'm inspired by all your posts to craft some more

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008 08:06:55 PM »

I'm pretty new to this quilting game, but I have so many projects already that I really want to finish or to make:

1) King Sized Black and purple double 9 patch - top finished, wadding purchased but the backing is too small so I need to sew extra on it before i start to put it all together.
2) Baby quilt for my friend's baby top done, needs embroidery and then need to find / buy the stuff to finish. Oh and there is another friend who is due another baby soon!!!!
3) Then there is the Butterfly garden block of the month pattern set that I bought - I'm hoping to lay-by the material and get people to pay it off for me for Christmas, cause I don't have any where near enough scraps yet, am going to have to buy it all.
4) the 2-4 rose/pansy/flower bowl cushion covers that I was planning to make for my Mum for Christmas - well realistically maybe her birthday in March?

Good luck with all your list cj. It sounds like you have some great projects to get your teeth into.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TayLynn
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008 04:34:33 PM »

There are a million things that I want to get done too. Nothing in any great span of time though. Some times I wonder if that is my problem. I know I have time to finish it! GRR ME!
1) Make wash cloths for X-Mass. I have been making a bunch but still have things to make!
2) Quilt something for the wedding. Have no idea what! That is Jan 10th.
3) Finish the jean squares I need to cut.
4) finish the jean blankets!
5) Wall haning theme, thats every month.
6) Finish R's quilt. It is really pretty browns and I can't wiat to finish. Just time.
7) Fix my fave quilt on the bed. It is just in shambles. But so warm and cozzy!
Cool Fix my little one that is on the bed too. I just can't get the time or oomf to do it.
9)Make S a dress out of the tshirts I have been keeping!

There are more I bet. Just let me think a little more. And finish those. I will have more on the list.
Does everyone want pics after finishing thigns?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nilmerg

I'm inspired by all your posts to craft some more

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009 04:34:24 PM »

I'm pretty new to this quilting game, but I have so many projects already that I really want to finish or to make:

1) King Sized Black and purple double 9 patch - top finished, wadding purchased but the backing is too small so I need to sew extra on it before i start to put it all together.
2) Baby quilt for my friend's baby top done, needs embroidery and then need to find / buy the stuff to finish. Oh and there is another friend who is due another baby soon!!!!
3) Then there is the Butterfly garden block of the month pattern set that I bought - I'm hoping to lay-by the material and get people to pay it off for me for Christmas, cause I don't have any where near enough scraps yet, am going to have to buy it all.
4) the 2-4 rose/pansy/flower bowl cushion covers that I was planning to make for my Mum for Christmas - well realistically maybe her birthday in March?

Good luck with all your list cj. It sounds like you have some great projects to get your teeth into.

Just thought that I would let you guys know how I'm going with my list.....
1) Finished the king/queen size double 9 patch yesterday http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=310789.0
2) I finished my friends baby quilt and gave it to her for Christmas. They loved it. I gave up on making any more for friends, but since I'm 6 months pregnant I now need to drag out the material again and start one for this new addition, although I won't be able to finish it until after she is born..
3) Haven't even started on the Buterfly gardens quilt, I need to buy so much material for that! It will remain on my list for some time!
4) I made and finished two pansy bowl cushions ofr my Mum in time for Christmas! She did like them, but I think they were a bit small (14"). Maybe I will make her some more for Christmas this year and make them bigger this time!

New additions to the list are:
5) Summer sleeping bags for my 19 month old, off to town to buy the material for them today.
6) I'm nearly finished the birth sampler to match my older girls. It's a betrix potter counted cross stitch, I'm really happy with them.
7) I'm cheating a bit because I have actually already completed this project, but I recovered my dinning room seat cushions/pads. They were old and faded and we couldn't afford to buy 6 new ones, so I used some black drill that I had lying around, 6 co-ordinating fat quaters that I was given for christmas and some bias binding tape for the tie ons and made them look like new for just the cost of the bias tape (about $3 AUD!) I'm so happy with them.
Cool I'm also considering making some type of baby sling or baby carrier, but not sure what type yet or if I even really need it, I already have 3 different carriers!
9) And cusions for our lounge are also on the list, maybe using up some more of teh fat quaters that were gifted to me and reusing the cushion pads to save money. Will let you know how that goes. I hope to add a more quilted element to these than most of my other projects at the moment!

So how did everyone else get on in the last 9 months, did you get any of your projects finished?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Exporting Images for Time Lapse Video
How to Clean Your DSLR Lens
Best Way to Photograph An Infant
Baby Photographer Anne Geddes "Little Blessings"
7 Tricks Everyone with a Camera Should Know
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...