A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
468 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First time resin user - lots of images  (Read 4153 times)
Tags for this thread: resin  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Javalita
« on: October 09, 2008 08:51:40 PM »

I finally overcame my fear and tried out resin.  Not fully, because I chickened out and bought the EasyCast right at the last minute.  Having never worked with resin, the whole fume thing and losing brain cells sorta made me nervous.   Wink

Here they are.  I definitely have the bubbles, but I was mixing like a maniac.  I'll calm it down next time.

Your standard glitter trial pieces plus a metal swirl:

Cute glitter flowers

Skulls in large nuts.  I am envisioning something like a collage of these (and other items) as a wall hanging.  Weird?

Ruby the pug with glitter.  I used photo paper with 2 coats of Modge Podge...still some bleeding.  Should I use regular paper or what do you use?  Suggestions for next time?

Heart:

The ugly!!! Trying out PearlEx pigment, pug picture (cut too small plus bleeding and bubbles) and beads (yuck!)

The stuck! any ideas?  I put extra resin in this mini ice cube tray.  The tray is not that flexible.  I knew I should have used release, but was too lazy.  They are in the freezer now but it isn't helping.....

THIS ROCKS   Logged

moxiepurple
Star Stealer

Meow...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008 09:01:10 PM »

Squee! I love all the pieces you made! I recently heard of resin jewelry and saw a tutorial by Jennifer Perkins (Naughty Secretary Club) my favorite are the skulls in the lugs and the stars and pink glitter. Wish I had a solution for your stick pieces, maybe a rubber mallet and a little banging?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am up for a personal swap!
runningwolf

Loving mother nature <3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008 09:24:09 PM »

Haha... I just bought some of that Easy Cast. I'm in for it... I love them all and the ones with skulls reminds me of the xbox video game Gears of War!!! Love that game!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Molliemoo2883
Personal Swap: anyone need bottle caps?

Easily distracted since 1983!

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008 09:38:15 PM »

My dogs name is Ruby too!!! Your first attempts are awesome you should be very proud. I would try acrylic spray and then modge podge and see how that works out. I think Photo paper is better cause its thicker. Also maybe card stock. I would try hammering the ice cube tray. I only started working with resin over the summer so I am still learning also but its really fun and totally addicting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If we could live without passion, maybe we would know some kind of peace. But we would be hollow inside. Empty rooms, shuttered and dank, without passion we would be truly dead"~Buffy
ladywubboux
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008 09:51:30 PM »

I love the skulls in the lug nuts!! Very original, I'd buy them anyday. I also like all the glittery-ness  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ledleeaf
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008 10:22:11 PM »

I love the skulls!!

You could try hot water on the back of the ice cube trays, soften up the resin a little and then try to pry those suckers out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Javalita
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008 10:56:48 PM »

Thanks everyone!  I love the skulls too - besides a wall hanging collage, paperweight or knick knack, any good ideas of what to do with the skulls?  I want to make more and maybe sell them, but I need more uses for them!!!  They are really heavy, so unfortunately they can't be a magnet.

I'll try and get those little guys out of the tray tomorrow.  I need magnets and figured those would be cute. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

grendelsmom
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008 05:19:02 AM »

The skulls-in-nuts are fabulous.  I'm not crazy about resin as a rule but you've got something there - they are adorable and creepy and you should follow up with them.  How big are they - are they actual lug nuts?  They might make a funky mobile or zipper pull or something, depnding on the weight.... if huge, I could see them as standalones on my windowsills, as paperweights, or even mounted on a small plate with a tealight behind.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dip_n_dot
T.L.D.G*

Skate & Destory

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008 07:22:50 AM »

I love those skulls!!! they look some what like gears of war!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist<3
i <3 Personal Swaps!

Crochet Challenge go vote!
Hippie9

The Mythical and Magical Seahorse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008 08:45:57 AM »

Are those iridescent mylar flakes in the first one? WHERE DID YOU GET THEM?Huh? I've been searching for those....:-)

I really like your pieces! Resin is so satisfying when the pieces turn out, isn't it?

What sort of backing did you put on the nuts with the skulls? They're great!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kim

My blog/showcase of my crafts:  http://kimmadecrafts.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Simon Montefiore Talks About Sashenka
Susan RoAne Talks About Face to Face
Arianna Huffington Talks About Huffington Post Complete Guide to Blogging
Allegra Huston Talks About Love Child
Kathi Appelt Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...