A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,528
Currently Running With Scissors:
446 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First time resin user - lots of images  (Read 4529 times)
Tags for this thread: resin  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Javalita
« on: October 09, 2008 08:51:40 PM »

I finally overcame my fear and tried out resin.  Not fully, because I chickened out and bought the EasyCast right at the last minute.  Having never worked with resin, the whole fume thing and losing brain cells sorta made me nervous.   Wink

Here they are.  I definitely have the bubbles, but I was mixing like a maniac.  I'll calm it down next time.

Your standard glitter trial pieces plus a metal swirl:

Cute glitter flowers

Skulls in large nuts.  I am envisioning something like a collage of these (and other items) as a wall hanging.  Weird?

Ruby the pug with glitter.  I used photo paper with 2 coats of Modge Podge...still some bleeding.  Should I use regular paper or what do you use?  Suggestions for next time?

Heart:

The ugly!!! Trying out PearlEx pigment, pug picture (cut too small plus bleeding and bubbles) and beads (yuck!)

The stuck! any ideas?  I put extra resin in this mini ice cube tray.  The tray is not that flexible.  I knew I should have used release, but was too lazy.  They are in the freezer now but it isn't helping.....

THIS ROCKS   Logged

moxiepurple
Star Stealer

Meow...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008 09:01:10 PM »

Squee! I love all the pieces you made! I recently heard of resin jewelry and saw a tutorial by Jennifer Perkins (Naughty Secretary Club) my favorite are the skulls in the lugs and the stars and pink glitter. Wish I had a solution for your stick pieces, maybe a rubber mallet and a little banging?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am up for a personal swap!
runningwolf

Loving mother nature <3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008 09:24:09 PM »

Haha... I just bought some of that Easy Cast. I'm in for it... I love them all and the ones with skulls reminds me of the xbox video game Gears of War!!! Love that game!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Molliemoo2883
Personal Swap: anyone need bottle caps?

Easily distracted since 1983!

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008 09:38:15 PM »

My dogs name is Ruby too!!! Your first attempts are awesome you should be very proud. I would try acrylic spray and then modge podge and see how that works out. I think Photo paper is better cause its thicker. Also maybe card stock. I would try hammering the ice cube tray. I only started working with resin over the summer so I am still learning also but its really fun and totally addicting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If we could live without passion, maybe we would know some kind of peace. But we would be hollow inside. Empty rooms, shuttered and dank, without passion we would be truly dead"~Buffy
ladywubboux
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008 09:51:30 PM »

I love the skulls in the lug nuts!! Very original, I'd buy them anyday. I also like all the glittery-ness  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ledleeaf
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008 10:22:11 PM »

I love the skulls!!

You could try hot water on the back of the ice cube trays, soften up the resin a little and then try to pry those suckers out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Javalita
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008 10:56:48 PM »

Thanks everyone!  I love the skulls too - besides a wall hanging collage, paperweight or knick knack, any good ideas of what to do with the skulls?  I want to make more and maybe sell them, but I need more uses for them!!!  They are really heavy, so unfortunately they can't be a magnet.

I'll try and get those little guys out of the tray tomorrow.  I need magnets and figured those would be cute. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

grendelsmom
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008 05:19:02 AM »

The skulls-in-nuts are fabulous.  I'm not crazy about resin as a rule but you've got something there - they are adorable and creepy and you should follow up with them.  How big are they - are they actual lug nuts?  They might make a funky mobile or zipper pull or something, depnding on the weight.... if huge, I could see them as standalones on my windowsills, as paperweights, or even mounted on a small plate with a tealight behind.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dip_n_dot
T.L.D.G*

Skate & Destory

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008 07:22:50 AM »

I love those skulls!!! they look some what like gears of war!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist<3
i <3 Personal Swaps!

Crochet Challenge go vote!
Hippie9

The Mythical and Magical Seahorse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008 08:45:57 AM »

Are those iridescent mylar flakes in the first one? WHERE DID YOU GET THEM?Huh? I've been searching for those....:-)

I really like your pieces! Resin is so satisfying when the pieces turn out, isn't it?

What sort of backing did you put on the nuts with the skulls? They're great!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kim

My blog/showcase of my crafts:  http://kimmadecrafts.blogspot.com/
Javalita
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008 12:12:38 PM »

I've never heard of gears of war...I think I must be too old!!! 

Hippie9 - I got those glitter flakes last year, I'm pretty sure at Michaels.  In a big (4-5" tall - .5 oz) standard cheapy glitter shaker can.  By Glitterex Corp - mine was "twilight blue". 

You are definitely right too about resin - super satisfying when it works.  I can see why people get addicted.  I used duct tape on back of the nuts and then pulled it off once I was done.  I'm going to try other types of tape though because duct tape has little lines/texture and that shows on the back of the piece.  Minor, but it would be nicer if it were more smooth.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

runningwolf

Loving mother nature <3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008 02:07:06 PM »

I've never heard of gears of war...I think I must be too old!!! 

Hippie9 - I got those glitter flakes last year, I'm pretty sure at Michaels.  In a big (4-5" tall - .5 oz) standard cheapy glitter shaker can.  By Glitterex Corp - mine was "twilight blue". 

You are definitely right too about resin - super satisfying when it works.  I can see why people get addicted.  I used duct tape on back of the nuts and then pulled it off once I was done.  I'm going to try other types of tape though because duct tape has little lines/texture and that shows on the back of the piece.  Minor, but it would be nicer if it were more smooth.

Gears of War ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gears_of_war ) is a shooting game with lots of action. Incredibly addictive! There's a skull within a gear that is basically like a logo of the game:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Gears-soundtrack-cover.jpg

Very similar to the one you created  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dogwoodbonsai
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008 04:58:32 PM »

Skulls In Nuts, Skulls In Nuts, Skulls In Nuts   (I'm chanting it)

You must explore, experiment and expound this.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

summertimerolls

"I hope this works"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008 07:30:27 PM »

I quickly looked over the responses and didn't see this as a solution to your stuck problem.  I've had stuff stick and what works best for me ( I don't use mold release), is to pop them in the freezer for about 5 min. and they will pop right out.   If the mold is too stiff to bend, right out of the freezer, flip them and give them a tap with a hammer. 

Also, I've never had success with any photos I've printed on an inkjet ever not bleed.  But if you use an actual photo, I don't even coat them.

By the way...love the nut idea.  I'm totally stealing it. 
Oh one more thing...I sew cute has a great thread going at:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=254029.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Javalita
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2008 08:07:18 PM »

I got the little ones out!  In the freezer for a while and then I pounded them with a mallet.  Some didn't want to come out, but I wasn't giving up.  They will make great little magnets, but I need to sand down the edges.

Glad everyone likes the Skulls In Nuts (thanks dogwoodbonsai).  I wasn't sure if it was just my weird taste or if anyone else would like them.  I'm definitely going to try selling a few at an event this month.  We'll see...

Isewcute has had a few resin threads going on - I hadn't noticed this new one, so thanks for the link.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ledleeaf
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2008 08:29:38 PM »

I think the skulls definitely should be worn.  They could be a necklace or make the most awesome belt, or on the end of a wallet chain.  They're not really in style anymore, but wallet chains will always be popular with punk boys; skulls on wallet chains even more so.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Javalita
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2008 08:44:04 PM »

I think the skulls definitely should be worn.  They could be a necklace or make the most awesome belt, or on the end of a wallet chain.  They're not really in style anymore, but wallet chains will always be popular with punk boys; skulls on wallet chains even more so.

Belt would be cool, but they weigh a lot!!!  Way too heavy for a necklace.  I guess I could find smaller skulls, but then you lose the impact.  Right now they are around 2" in diameter. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cealy
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2008 06:05:44 AM »

Do you have lots of the skulls?

As soon as I saw them I thought, wouldn't they look cool done in rows in a shadow box style frame painted black. It would form a honeycomb shape in the box. Doing this would also make a good weapon if someone broke in to your house. Could you see the headlines "Man injured in break-in, beat with a piece of art work"

I love the sparkle ones, the flower ones are adorable, I love the pearl copper coloured one and I like the beaded one that you don't like, sandwich two together with a hanger thingy inbetween and it would be great for a necklace bobble.
The skulls totally rock!
C
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008 06:06:49 AM by Cealy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Javalita
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2008 06:40:28 AM »

Do you have lots of the skulls?

As soon as I saw them I thought, wouldn't they look cool done in rows in a shadow box style frame painted black. It would form a honeycomb shape in the box. Doing this would also make a good weapon if someone broke in to your house. Could you see the headlines "Man injured in break-in, beat with a piece of art work"

Each one is 2" in diameter and they weigh about 4 oz each!  A collage just like you describe was my original idea for these.  Since they are transparent though, it would be cool if the back was open so that you could light them from behind.  I think I will go that route and maybe a belt buckle or two.  I have plenty of skulls but need to find more!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chocolatebutton
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2008 06:40:55 AM »

love the skull ones.. and ur avatar! how sweet  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rhymewithorange

chemists do it with models

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2008 07:41:26 AM »

I love the skulls in the nuts...as does everyone else! I've never seen that before, which is cool cause the reason I haven't tried resin yet is cause I feel like everyone always just makes the same things...but those lug nuts are such a good idea! I love it.

Are they too heavy to be a long necklace? Cause I would totally rock that as a long necklace. I like the tealight idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Javalita
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2008 09:35:34 AM »

rhymewithorange - they are heavy.  over 4 oz each!  Too heavy for necklaces.  They look so good with light behind that I think they must be displayed this way.  So I am thinking of either collaged wall hangings (with rope light or something behind so that they glow) or table lamps or night lights. 

With tea lights, etc. I think the open flame next to the resin would make me nervous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vegebrarian

I brake for kitsch!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2008 10:21:21 AM »

Wow! Those skulls are awesome! I've been afraid to work with resin too!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008 10:23:22 AM by vegebrarian - Reason: typo! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

provides 100% of your daily recommended allowance of glitter
katy23669
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2008 03:57:08 PM »

Those are beautiful! I can't believe this was your first attempt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thisbirdsabsurd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Be Happy!

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2008 06:23:55 PM »

Very cool - the heart is awesome!  As for the bleeding, I've used two coats of modpodge on the front and two on the back - then more modpodge to stick them down and all around the edges to make sure its completely sealed.....but I guess sometimes its just inevitable. Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop is here!  www.thisbirdsabsurd.etsy.com
And find me on Facebook!  Thisbirdsabsurd
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Thisbirdsabsurd/753468561415455
artist.nerd.musiclover
wanna-be graphic designer

"Peace, love, and math!" ~David Krumholtz

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2008 06:38:44 PM »

Love the stars one!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kendar
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2008 05:17:14 PM »

They look really cute!

I am also having the same issue with some resin at the moment. I just stuck it in the freezer to see if it will pop out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
criticalmaas
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2008 08:02:43 PM »

The skulls are fantastic! There's all sorts of crazy hardware/resin you could get into...well, maybe some...I could see copper pipe, for instance...but am otherwise blanking!

I would love to try welding or gluing on a fixture (the screw out leg bottoms of old school/office chairs - the little metal flying saucer ones? some of those screw out! that would fit in with the hardware nicely I think) - or just a screw I guess!, and use them as drawer pulls.  You wouldn't get much light, but it'd be badass!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Javalita
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2008 09:06:11 PM »

Funny I should get another post on this.  I did do something simple with them because I wanted to have them out at a craft show I was doing.  I made simple sun catchers.  I still want to make an ambient light.  Drawer pulls are a great idea!  If I lighten up the dye a bit they could be good.  Actually the next round I am going to make clear and add drops of red instead to see how that turns out.

Here is a pic of the sun catchers.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Handbag Charms
How to Make Bead Necklaces
How to Make Clay Beads
How to Make Glass Bead Bracelets
Handmade Portraits: Ayşegül & Sebahat
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Mashed Chickpea Salad Sammy
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...