A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: It's time to vote for your favorite swapped project! Smiley  Vote now through Sunday, August 30th!
Total Members: 302,686
Currently Running With Scissors:
413 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: costume ideas for dead people themed party  (Read 2280 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FATcat

...Clutching forks and knifes to eat their bacon!

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2008 07:13:46 PM »

i need help! im going to a halloween party with a costume requirement, you have to be dead. its pretty open. my ideas were lady van tassel from sleepy hollow, ophelia, a dead female artist, or mary lane from reefer madness
i dont really know how to execute these in a recognizable way.
im short, average weight, have medium length brown hair, freckles, and blue eyes.
any new ideas on who i could be or costumes for my ideas would be so helpful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
betty@freekidscrafts.com
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008 05:22:26 AM »

Well in Mexico they make it easy and let you make a Day of the Dead Mask. Would that be cheating?
http://www.freekidscrafts.com/index.php?option=com_events&task=view_detail&agid=526
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikimac

28 and life to go

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008 09:17:09 AM »

The blue eyes and freckles might throw you off a bit, but with brown hair you could easily be Frido Kahlo - by far the most recognizable and humourous female artist due to her exaggerated unibrow.  As long as you wore Mexican garb, carried a paint brush and palette, and drew on a unibrow, you would be recognized, and then you could get creative from there.  Big earrings and a frown are a must too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love planning parties - come to me if you need any ideas!
thepaintinglibra
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008 01:16:27 PM »

Why not dress up like John Lennon? I see you have his picture as your main one and he has passed away.
You can throw on some jeans, New York t-shirt, jean jacket, vote for peace button, round glasses and leave your hair down and wavy or roll it up under a hat. I bet you would fool a lot of people.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
CostumeGoddess
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008 12:10:59 PM »

I guess the question is do you have to come just as someone who is dead or come as them dead? So a decomposing John Lennon? (hey, I made a pun!) Cheesy

The key is choosing someone who is visually recognizable, like nikimac said. A distinctive feature or prop. After that it all falls together. The problem with Ophelia (though a personal favorite of mine) is that there isn't a quintesential image of her. Unlike, say, Frida. I like the Frida idea - if you have traditional Mexican garments available to you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008 02:53:15 AM »

Well Ophelia is... drowned. A flowing period dress, leaves in your hair... and makeup that definitely includes blue lips would work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CostumeGoddess
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008 10:38:10 AM »

True True!
Her skirts filled with water and dragged her under. I like that with the twigs and blue lips!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hughsie
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008 10:42:23 AM »

I have done Ophelia a number of times, it's so easy! All you need is a flowing dress and lots of leaves and flowers to place artfully. I didn't think of the blue lips, but that's a fantastic touch.
That said, all of the other ideas might be more fun to create costumes for. Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
osseti
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008 10:43:03 AM »

how about sally from nightmare before christmas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FATcat

...Clutching forks and knifes to eat their bacon!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008 03:58:51 PM »

i think its between ophelia and sally. thanks for your suggestions- the blue lips and twig/flowers are great and i have some blue hair spray left over from another costume i might use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Creative Suite 2 - How to Create a Text Wrap from the Photoshop Path
Adobe Creative Suite 2 - How to Draw a Runaround Path in the Original Photoshop File
Adobe Creative Suite 2 - How to Create a Grayscale Gradient with the Adjustment Layer
Adobe Creative Suite 2 - How to Import Into InDesign from Bridge and Color Setting
How to Do a Photoshop Facelift
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...