A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,038
Currently Running With Scissors:
468 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: RUDE seller... am I being unreasonable?  (Read 1560 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RagnazIdnar
« on: October 09, 2008 06:06:02 PM »

So, I had weird experience today and its left me really grouchy so I have to get some advice on this.

I posted a request on Etsy for a custom made item and was very specific about what it was that I am looking for. I explained to people that I am an artist (BA in studio art - painting and life drawing) but I was looking for an original piece of art to give as a gift that isn't necessarily something I could make. I gave examples of art styles that I am looking for, and asked for a certain color palette, and details such as size, distressed edges, etc.

One person in particular, someone who does laser engravings, set me a bid that gave quick run down of something he's made before which was very simple, and while it wasn't necessarily bad it wasn't at all what I'd described. It was also much smaller, with no color and he acknowledged that it wasn't really what I'd asked for, but he bid anyway. So, you'd think that if you acknowledged that it wasn't what someone was asking for you wouldn't be surprised that it was declined, right? I always decline or accept so I don't leave people wondering- I hate bidding on something and never hearing a yes or a no. And each time I decline something I like to thank the person and then let them know that I am declining their bid. So, I said "Thank you for bidding on my request. I am looking for something a little more ornate, but thanks. Warm Regards..."

I got this really rude email back from him that was really defensive saying "I know what you mean, these are pretty cheap and tacking looking. Thanks. Mike" I was really surprised that someone running a business would be sarcastic and rude to a potential customer because they chose not to buy something! I didn't insult his work or call it tacky, I simply told him that I was looking for something of a different style. I am really disgusted by his behavior and it leaves me wondering if I am overreacting? I obviously can't accept all offers, and his was nothing like what I'd asked for- am I being too picky? Should I have kept my mouth shut? I just don't feel that I should be made to feel guilty for declining something I didn't want.

Anyway, thanks for listening and any advice. I feel better sharing that with someone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of the Eastern Wa Etsy Team!
preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'www.ragnazidnar.etsy.com')
homebunnyj
Maker of interesting things

Asheville rocks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008 05:12:14 PM »

You mustn't feel guilty for someone else's inferiority complex.  Undecided You're not his therapist.

I wouldn't waste another thought about the matter. Let it roll off you like the proverbial water off a duck's back (thanks to my mom for that expression Grin) and move on, IMHO.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

medli
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008 03:51:03 PM »

Quite the jerkface. Ignore him and his emo self.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jatoha
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008 05:16:25 AM »

I wouldn't spend another bit of energy worrying about it.  Don't take it personal! 

That is sooooo about him & his issues and not at all anything you did wrong. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

klum78

Actual size shown

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008 08:29:02 PM »

I agree with everyone else.  He obviously has other issues and you are bearing the brunt of them.  Maybe right before he got your message someone else returned something he had made or someone really did call his stuff tacky and cheap.  I wouldn't worry about it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are in the process of switching over to cloth diapers.  Would love some advice, hint, tips.   Will swap for diapers!
My etsy shop: KimberlyMade
Wisty Goodness
RagnazIdnar
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008 03:25:50 PM »

Thanks everyone.  Grin
I replied to his message and told him that I wasn't insulting his work, I had just decided on another seller and I was shocked at his sarcastic and rude response. I think he was so embarrassed he chose not to reply again. My thoughts are "Good! You should be embarrassed to treat someone like that!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of the Eastern Wa Etsy Team!
preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'www.ragnazidnar.etsy.com')
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008 12:03:02 PM »

Could be he had a really bad day - I'm snarky when things go wrong. At least I don't deal with customers when I'm annoyed...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'www.rattleheadgames.com') - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Select With a Marquee Tool in Photoshop CS3
How to Select With the Lasso Tool in Flash CS3
How to Select With the Lasso Tool in Photoshop CS3
How to Select With the Magic Wand Tool in Photoshop CS3
How to Select With the Magnetic Lasso Tool in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...